View Full Version : conventional suggestions

doc
04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
i am thinking of making a switch to a conventional reel this season...any suggestions for reel that will toss plugs in the 1-4oz range using a ron ara lamiglass 9' rod...?

spence
04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Calcutta would be a standard option, TE if you can afford it...or a tricked abu 6500 or even 7000 if you're throwing more big stuff.

My personal fav is the 400TE, it's the only conventional I can actually throw :D

-spence

numbskull
04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
A Shimano Calcutta 400 is where I would start.

Rob Rockcrawler
04-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Abu 6500 tcst, i think M&D's has em, good dependable reel with a good price tag.

doc
04-05-2009, 09:04 PM
thanks for your input...how steep is the learning curve on the switch from spinning to conventional...?

Rob Rockcrawler
04-06-2009, 03:11 AM
Its not that bad. Just give yourself a little time and some extra line. Go with a heavier weight that is aerodynamic. A polaris or pencil is a good start, a cheap one just in case. Set the tensioner so the lure just starts to drop when you remove your thumb. Keep your thumb on the spool, just barely, and if you feel the line building up apply more pressure before it gets outta control. Soon you will not need your thumb until the moment the plug is getting ready to hit the water.

stiff tip
04-06-2009, 05:46 AM
[QUOTE=doc;67 ...how steep is the learning curve on the switch from spinning to conventional...?[/QUOTE]

like jumpimg off a cliff..some make it some don't

doc
04-06-2009, 06:49 AM
like jumpimg off a cliff..some make it some don't

i like the challenge of that...

spence
04-06-2009, 07:09 AM
It will take some time and be prepared to carry an extra rod/reel in case you blow up, and you will blow up.

I tried it for a few seasons and now only pretty much use conventional for jigs and big plugs (or bait if I ever fished it). Eels are just too hard to cast (for me) and I only have so much time I to fish I don't want to waste it sitting on the rocks picking at my reel or fetching water for RIROCKHOUND :lasso:

One of my favorite rigs is an All Star 1088, Calcutta 400TE and Spectron braid.

-spence

slow eddie
04-06-2009, 07:28 AM
if you can get one of the older abu's off e-bay, do it. the made in sweden units.
a 6600 will do nicely. the learning curve could be greatly reduced if you have a buddy who is knowleable about them. i set up a buddy last year and within 15 min. he was casting like he always did it. good idea on the pencils.

doc
04-06-2009, 08:08 AM
so how would you all sum up the advantages of a conventional over spinning...it seems to me (without any significant experience) that conventional reels have much better control, better to equal castability, and much better drag for large fish...

slow eddie
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
that about wraps it up. soup up the reel if u can

RIROCKHOUND
04-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Eels are just too hard to cast (for me) and I only have so much time I to fish I don't want to waste it sitting on the rocks picking at my reel or fetching water for RIROCKHOUND :lasso:
-spence

Thats right gatorade beyotch :D

I told you to bring spinning that night... :hs:

Flaptail
04-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I have used most every conventional type reel available starting back in the 70's with the old Penn 146 Squidders.

In the last two seasons I have purchased two reels that I like more than any others I have ever used.

The first was a Cabo 40 conventional with line guide which has the smoothest drag I ever encountered, casts 400 plus with a 3.5 oz polaris but is a bit fussy with maintenance.

Then I bought a Shimano Tekota 600. Both reels are loaded with 50lb. Stealth braid but the Shimano, right out of the box with no mods is the best distance casting conventional I ever used, hands down.

It will go 450 plus with a loaded 7 inch Cotton Cordell pencil and beyond that with a 3.5 oz slab jig like a Crippled Herring. Minimal backlash (actually rare) great drag and easy maintenance.

I use these reels on ten foot JK Fisher rods with std. casting SIC guides.

Hard to believe but true and for a 160.00 great deal. I fished that reel ultra hard last year and she still looks new and runs like a champ.

Don't be fooled by high prices, the Shimano Tekota is the real deal.

Back Beach
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
A Shimano Calcutta 400 is where I would start.

Of course you know real fishermen use Newells. You neophtye, you...

steve
04-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I used an Abu 6500 pro rocket and a Lami 9 ft- xs-91-mhc all season(08), and caught fish to nearly 40 pounds on it. Light weight outfit that casts great and reel has a great drag. I primarily used live eels, rigged eel and plugs to 31/2 oz. Very little maintaince after 60 trips with it, but outfit is pricey, $200 for rod and $230.00 for the reel. I would recommend it to anyone fishing the surf. OH, BTW, I used 25 pond test Ande back country.

numbskull
04-06-2009, 11:41 AM

True, of course, but when switching from spinning tackle it is always best to go slowly until the estrogens wash out of your system. If you switch too fast you might suffer irreversible brain damage that could cause gender confusion and result in a liking for eels, Saltigas, and frilly underwear with bows on it.

Back Beach
04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
True, of course, but when switching from spinning tackle it is always best to go slowly until the estrogens wash out of your system. If you switch too fast you might suffer irreversible brain damage that could cause gender confusion and result in a liking for eels, Saltigas, and frilly underwear with bows on it.

It sounds like you'vre traveling the above path. I knew the plug thing was just a front....

spence
04-06-2009, 11:53 AM
If you switch too fast you might suffer irreversible brain damage that could cause gender confusion and result in a liking for eels, Saltigas, and frilly underwear with bows on it.
What does JoeP have to do with any of this?

-spence

piemma
04-06-2009, 12:08 PM
It will take some time and be prepared to carry an extra rod/reel in case you blow up, and you will blow up.

I tried it for a few seasons and now only pretty much use conventional for jigs and big plugs (or bait if I ever fished it). Eels are just too hard to cast (for me) and I only have so much time I to fish I don't want to waste it sitting on the rocks picking at my reel or fetching water for RIROCKHOUND :lasso:

One of my favorite rigs is an All Star 1088, Calcutta 400TE and Spectron braid.

-spence

Ah yes. And those of us who were there remember that night well....

I think I got a 25 while you were fetching water. Actually one of the funniest nights I had on the rocks. How about the night you got lost.....

spence
04-06-2009, 01:16 PM
How about the night you got lost.....
Which one? :hee: :boots:

-spence

Saltheart
04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Which rod would help to determine Abu 6500 or 7000/7500 size.

The Calcutta 400 is nice. It has a better drag than the ABU reels but you can change the drag washers in an ABU to "smoothies" or whatever the latest is and the drag is way better after you do. The washers are cheap. IMO the black BG 6500CL and the Black BG 7000CL are the best of the ABU reels. They were discontinued but you may be able to find one. The models with mag casting controls are nice for certain conditions too.

They had a reel called the Abu 6600 C5 Mag that was excellent for a beginner. Center thmb bar , centrifical brakes , mag control , high speed retrieve. All the features are what a beginner would want . I've seen it available cheap in the past , do search. on the other extreme the the 6500 mag elite non levelwind with no breaks , abec 7 or ceramic bearings and speed bushing is so fast you could burn your thumb trying to control it.

Switching to conventional is easy if you start by not being greedy for distance. Use brakes , adjust the side tension so you just cannot overrun and loosen the tension and take out brakes as you get better. If you close your eyes and cast by feel only you seldom overrun a conventional but if you try to reach a specific far away spot you can often overrun. Your thumb learns what to do eventually but it takes time.

Some reels like the Penn 525 (non levelwind) can be superfast and along with some others , very hard to control for a beginner. For the most part the ABU's are a good choice for a beginner. I also recommend you get a levelwind , at least for when you start. the abus can be made excellent for distance with new bearings , braid , no brakes , no tension , super thin oil lubrication and speed bushings on the non levelwinds. Do this later in time as you get better.

Once you feel good enough to need the reel enhancements , you will be good enough to make a wise choice of the next reel yourself.

piemma
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM

Indeed they do and I sold my last 229 to RIRockhound, fool that I was.

nightfighter
04-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Can we get Big Dave to do another Casting Clinic this spring???????

jimmy z
04-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I use 'em, alot. I use Daiwa SLA 20's, Abu 6500's and 7000's. Both cs and ct reels. I use an Okuma Contura 203, which is a super casting reel. And others.
It's up to you, really. If you want to cast conventional because that is what you want to do, than you will pick it up, quickly. Short casts at first, use your thumb, and when you retrieve after the cast, don't re-spool the line loose.
Also, when you bait of plug hits the water, stop the spool with your thumb. Most problems happen when the spool runs on.
You can do it!:kewl:

ecduzitgood
04-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Start with mono till you get the feel for casting with it, I still use mono (25yrs. now) and love the forgiving stretch it has when I put a little to much into a cast and it gets away from me.

hardbait
04-06-2009, 09:51 PM
HAS ANYONE TRIED THE AVET WITH THE MAG CAST?

The Dad Fisherman
04-07-2009, 05:56 AM
i am thinking of making a switch to a conventional reel this season...

Why???

Mike P
04-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Another well built reel in the $170 price range is the Daiwa Saltist. The models that are good for surf fishing are the 20H (the size of a Newell 220), the 30H (size of a Newell 229) and the 30H levelwind.

I bought the 30H last fall and used it the last 6 weeks or so of the season. It casts very nicely with only one red casting brake--it's almost too tame for me. This year I'm going to take the brake out entirely.

The great thing about conventionals is that you don't have to spend 700 clams to get something that will last a lifetime. There are great reels in the $150-$200 range that are built like brick crappers. Even Penn has a winner in that price range with the 525 Mag.

Finaddict
04-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Jeremy -

Do not get the Penn International 975 or the similar reels ... they cast well, but I don't like them for working plugs. I grew up using a Daiwa Presidential PS55 or something like that, got it in high school, used it for more than 20 years and it worked great, although it's handle was smaller than I liked ... for some reason i did not go the Calcutta route ... which is a better reel. Mike at M&Ds can help outfit any old Abu you may have like the 7000 narrow spool, don't remember the exact model number, but he does a lot of those reels and people who use them love em.

If you want to spend time casting, let me know, I am happy to help you out. Can loan you a reel or two if you like as well and we can use a variety of reels so you can get the hang of it.

Finaddict
04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Jeremy -

As for line, some people talk about using braid in their conventionals ... not sure the advantage, as if you ever knew Mike Batta, the former Berkley rep and a great caster of conventional gear, he commented that there was no advantage to using braid, so I have not switched over. You are bound to get snarls with your line as you are learning, and even when you have the time under your belt, if you don't pay attention you can still get tangles.

But pitching a plug on a conventional is fun, and you can haul them a country mile ...

... as I mentioned previously, I replaced my Daiwa with a Penn International 975 ... it casts great, but I don't like using it for plugging, doesn't do the job for me and I never use it. I won't give it up but just look to the Abus or the Calcutta first, or the new Shimano mentioned above ... could be a great starting reel at a decent price.

Andy

nightfighter
04-17-2009, 05:50 PM
So what don't you like about the Penn Intl 975? I am curious as I have a 965 which I offered to doc to take out for a trial......

Mike P
04-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Jeremy -

As for line, some people talk about using braid in their conventionals ... not sure the advantage, as if you ever knew Mike Batta, the former Berkley rep and a great caster of conventional gear, he commented that there was no advantage to using braid, so

:bs:

Finaddict
04-18-2009, 06:36 PM
So what don't you like about the Penn Intl 975? I am curious as I have a 965 which I offered to doc to take out for a trial......

Ross - A couple of things I am not hot about on the 975, but before I get into those, I will say that they are a smooth casting reel and I can get some great distance. I also like the big handle.

Those aside, I don't feel like it's sturdy enough ... the release button gets in my way when I am working plugs ... I have made some modifications to how I work the plugs, but then I don't get the action I typically like ... but I also feel sometimes it doesn't feel like it is holding up when I am moving it back and forth to put action into a pencil ... it's fine for working the pencils or spooks real slow, but I don't always want to work them slow. Especially if I am casting into fast moving water with a lot of white water ... the Daiwa reel never had a problem, was always on the ball ...

I think the reel would be awesome for jigging and other stuff, just not the plugging I like ... it's been a while, I will show it to you sometime either from the boat or down on the shore ... where I can easily stow it in my car ...

1dozenraw
04-21-2009, 08:12 AM
I have used most every conventional type reel available starting back in the 70's with the old Penn 146 Squidders.

In the last two seasons I have purchased two reels that I like more than any others I have ever used.

The first was a Cabo 40 conventional with line guide which has the smoothest drag I ever encountered, casts 400 plus with a 3.5 oz polaris but is a bit fussy with maintenance.

Then I bought a Shimano Tekota 600. Both reels are loaded with 50lb. Stealth braid but the Shimano, right out of the box with no mods is the best distance casting conventional I ever used, hands down.

It will go 450 plus with a loaded 7 inch Cotton Cordell pencil and beyond that with a 3.5 oz slab jig like a Crippled Herring. Minimal backlash (actually rare) great drag and easy maintenance.

I use these reels on ten foot JK Fisher rods with std. casting SIC guides.

Hard to believe but true and for a 160.00 great deal. I fished that reel ultra hard last year and she still looks new and runs like a champ.

Don't be fooled by high prices, the Shimano Tekota is the real deal. How does the Tekota compare with the Calcutta 400 series for reliability, and casting? How about the Saltists?