View Full Version : Bob Pond needs your Prayers

The Kid
04-07-2009, 06:45 AM
This morning at around 3:00am Bob took a bad fall and shattered his nose, possibly fractured his neck and has bleeding into his brain. The cause of the fall is unknown right now as it happened at the nursing home where he was being taken care of for his advanced alzheimers. He will turn 92 on July 4th.

For those of you who may not know him or have only heard the name, here is why this man is a person who you should know about.

Bob was one of the first pioneers in the conservation of Striped Bass, without his efforts in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's we may not be catching stripers and websites like this might not even exist. Bob was also a true fisherman and a friend to fishermen everywhere, he was the founder of Atom lures, a brand that at one point was a staple in every lure bag, from the Atom-40 to his blue and white popper, most of us used his lures at one point and many of us still use replicas of the design today. And for some of the old timers here they may remember the shop down in South Attleboro where you could go and buy his seconds for a fraction of the price, and it was not uncommon for him to dump whole batches of perfectly good lures into the seconds bin so everyone could have a top quality lure that would last and last.

Please remember he is not gone yet, but he needs your prayers.

stripercrazy
04-07-2009, 10:47 AM
he's a great man, allways treated us really nice, nice ladys working for him too...sorry to hear about his fall.

numbskull
04-07-2009, 10:53 AM
The world needs more Bob Ponds. The man just oozed kindness.

striperman36
04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Agree with NumbSkull, my prayers reach out for Bob P

RIJIMMY
04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
t and p sent, sorry to hear that

Mr. Sandman
04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Numb....Amen to that. Thoughts and prayers for his recovery.

vineyardblues
04-07-2009, 11:20 AM
I thought Bob turned 100 last year ?

Get well soon

VB

Rappin Mikey
04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Thoughts and prayers sent.

BasicPatrick
04-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Being involved with MSBA I had the leasure of meeting Bob many times before he got sick. We still get reports on how he is doing and all I can say is alz... is a nasty nasty disease.

Bob founded Stripers Unlimited and his company Atom was the principle funding source. Bob used to assemble teams of both scientists and volunteers to travel to theh chesapeake bay and then he paid for and conducted some of the first science dedicated to Striped Bass.

Bob was laughed at by most of the greats of the era. The old guard tells some funny stories of how they all thought he was nuts and used to give him a hard time. Eventually, Bob was proven correct on manny of his theories. Bob was talking striped bass conservation twenty years before everyone else, especially sport fishers.

There is no one human that has given more time, spent more of their own money or in general done more for Striped Bass..period!!!

On my way out this evenign I am goignt os top by my church and say a prayer there...this many deserves peace.

Nebe
04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Get well Bob.

I hope Avis is ok.

Both should be considered striped bass royalty.

Raven
04-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Get well soon BOB

thoughts and Prayers sent...

Sea Flat
04-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Being involved with MSBA I had the leasure of meeting Bob many times before he got sick. We still get reports on how he is doing and all I can say is alz... is a nasty nasty disease.

There is no one human that has given more time, spent more of their own money or in general done more for Striped Bass..period!!!

Well said. My grandfather died with Alzheimers, just horrible.

I find it incredible that someone who's business relied on people fishing went so far as to use his proceeds to pay to protect a fish which might in turn make people fish less and buy less of his product. In it for the greater good.

quick decision
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
prayers sent

JohnR
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Bob,

Thank you for all that you have done, as always.

Thoughts & Prayers go out for you.

Pete F.
04-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Thoughts and prayers

Backbeach Jake
04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
My Thoughts and Prayers..

DMenace
04-07-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't know him, of him, nor have I ever heard of him, but from the way that you guy's that did know him speak of him, he must be a great guy. I'd like to think that the Alzheimers can't erase the memory of standing on a nice sandy beach, waves crashing at his feet, late in the evening on an early fall night with a %$%$%$%$load of stripers slamming his lures.

Tagger
04-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Get well soon Bob ... T&P's sent ..

Rockfish9
04-07-2009, 06:50 PM
The world needs more Bob Ponds. The man just oozed kindness.

my thoughts exactly.... men like him are a rare and dieing breed...

MAC
04-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Best wishes Bob.

Slipknot
04-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Thoughts and prayers to Bob

fumifish
04-07-2009, 08:11 PM
get well bob.. speedy recovery

Squid kids Dad
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Prayers and thoughts are on there way

gone fishin
04-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Thoughts and prayers for Bob. Thanks for his many memorie!

jimmy z
04-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I will pray for Bob Pond. God bless him!

afterhours
04-08-2009, 06:14 AM
T'S & P'S. Best wishes bob.

Fisherwoman
04-08-2009, 06:52 AM
What sad news!!!, Bob is a wonderful person, and dedicated so much of his life for the fish we love so dearly, Our thoughts and prayers go out him and his family. I hope he recovers to fight another day!!!
Bill & Jules

Jorge
04-08-2009, 07:04 AM
God bless Bob Pond

The Kid
04-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Bob has improved vastly over, they did not find a fracture in his neck and they stopped the bleeding in his brain and they will be sending him back to the nursing home today.

He does look like hell though, he did in fact shatter his nose and looks like he went 10 rounds with an early 90's mike tyson. Thank you for all of your support and continued support as he will need it, he is not out of the woods yet.

If any get well cards want to be sent or any condolence cards to his wife Avis you can send them here.

Bob Pond or Avis Boyd
267 mendon rd.
North Attleboro, MA

Thank you greatly for your support

Saltheart
04-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the good news.

I live close to the old shop in S attleboro and would go there regularly. There was supposed to be a limit to the number of seconds you could buy but he never enforced it unless there was suspicion you were reselling. It was like a trip to the tackle shop. I had a 5 gallon pale full of Atom poppers but liked to go ther to talk to him and see what was new.

His big thing was Stripers Unlimited. I had the hooded sweatshirt with the logo.
He used to talk about tranplanting fish from I think the Chesapeak to the Ct River. I think that was successful because I belive there is a small amount of spawning that happens there now. he also talked about one of the biggest striper extinction issues which was over fertilization in Central PA which washed down and ultimately into the Chesapeak which would some years ruin the spawning and result in few eggs hatching.

he knew more about stripers than anyone I know and as you say above , he was a great guy who took the time to talk to people.

God Bless and may his remaining days be as happy as possible.

Fish_Eye
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Thoughts and prayers Bob. I cherish all the time we spent discussing stripers: past, present, and future. You gave so much of yourself to the sport and the resource. God bless.

Mike

PaulS
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Glad to hear he's doing a little better. Sad about the Alzheimers though. I never met him but I know he did as much to conserve SB as anyone.

MarshCappa
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
My prayers go out to you Bob.

eelskimmer
04-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Bob Pond is everything the above emails say. In all his work
to save our Striped Bass he spent much of his own money.
But at his side every moment was Avis Boyd his wife, who
encouraged him every step of the way. We know that
behind every good man is an even better woman and Avis
is that woman.

Bob and Avis never got into the PC age so they have no idea
of all their friends on this web. I spoke to Avis and she said
it was okay to post her telephone number. So if you can't
drop a card or note call her at 508 761-4627. She is an
exceptionally gracious woman and would appreciate a kind
word especially from those of a new generation. But observe
late hours as she is also on in years.

We may need more people like Bob and Avis as the battle
may not be over.

Arne P
04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Get well soon Bob. We are thinking of you.

gone fishin
04-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Thinking of Bob - anyone have any news? I was hanging a few of Bob's plugs and was thinking of him.

Tagger
04-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Bob has improved vastly over, they did not find a fracture in his neck and they stopped the bleeding in his brain and they will be sending him back to the nursing home today.

He does look like hell though, he did in fact shatter his nose and looks like he went 10 rounds with an early 90's mike tyson. Thank you for all of your support and continued support as he will need it, he is not out of the woods yet.

If any get well cards want to be sent or any condolence cards to his wife Avis you can send them here.

Bob Pond or Avis Boyd
267 mendon rd.
North Attleboro, MA

Thank you greatly for your support

Glad to hear Bob is doing better ...

gone fishin
04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks tagger - I was hoping for an update today.