View Full Version : Favorite Bait Shop

PRBuzz
04-09-2009, 05:55 AM
When fishing a new area, especially when trailering a boat, the hardest thing to find is a local bait shop, anyone like to offer suggestions in SE New England? Of course, many times catching your own is an option but not always.

I frequented: Sportsman's Outfitters 76 Padelford St. Berkley, MA 02779 (508) 823-0442
Live eels and various frozen offerings.

JB's Bait and Tackle has also recently been "plugged":
198 S. Meadow Rd., Plymouth (Opening 4/25 6AM)
Will carry eels and fresh pogies.

tinyboatbigfish
04-09-2009, 06:18 AM
see pete at grumpys bait on ferry st. in marshfield he is a great guy and will take care of you the best he can. oh ya tell him sean sent ya lol.:lama:

cableguy
04-09-2009, 07:09 AM
M & D's in Wareham.....go see Mike.

leptar
04-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Riverside Marine in Tiverton... Just under the Sakonnet River bridge...

Sams Bait and Tackle in Middletown right on Aquidneck Ave.

Edwards Tackle in Newport down the same road Coddington brewery is on...

MarshCappa
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
see pete at grumpys bait on ferry st. in marshfield he is a great guy and will take care of you the best he can. oh ya tell him sean sent ya lol.:lama:

He moved? He's been on 139 the last 2 seasons at the old Sunoco station. I know Pete very well and thought the worst because i didn't see the shop open. Do you know if the phone number on his card is still working? He's a great guy. He's so good to my son jacob. Jacob has been asking for him lately. I've gone to Belsans a couple of times already as my backup. Good shop, nice people.

MarshCappa
04-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Whew... just spoke to Pete and he filled me in on his location. I put my skiff in at the yacht club ramp so this is perfect. Great guy and my son will be thrilled to see him again.

PRBuzz
04-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Any chance of getting more detailed addresses? My GPS doesn't recognize such things as the "old Sunoco station".

Thanks.

MarshCappa
04-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I think he told me 1248 Ferry St in Marshfield. Right on the South River near the Bridgewaye Inn. Ph: 781-837-2265 Pete

tinyboatbigfish
04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
that is correct marsh the address is 1248 Ferry St in Marshfield and pete is a great guy like i said he will treat you right and that really matters to people like me.

gone fishin
04-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Try googling bait & tackle shops in the area you plan to visit.

luds
04-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Try googling bait & tackle shops in the area you plan to visit.

Honestly I think that is pretty poor advice. There are alot of terrible b&t's out there. I guess you don't know unless you go but asking for other opinions on shops is definitely the best way to get a feel for what places are good. There are plenty of places that smell like sh#t and will sell you a bucket full of dead eels.

I go to Belsan in Scituate for close to home but otherwise it's M&D's or the Saltwater Edge which I guess is more of a outfitter/tackle joint than a bait shop.

Gunpowder
04-09-2009, 09:48 PM
M & D's in Wareham.....go see Mike.

second that :jump:

Notaro
04-09-2009, 10:21 PM
sportsmens den, fore river b&t, m&d, saltwater edge, thomcat's, and bloody walmart lol

gone fishin
04-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Honestly I think that is pretty poor advice. There are alot of terrible b&t's out there. I guess you don't know unless you go but asking for other opinions on shops is definitely the best way to get a feel for what places are good. There are plenty of places that smell like sh#t and will sell you a bucket full of dead eels.

I go to Belsan in Scituate for close to home but otherwise it's M&D's or the Saltwater Edge which I guess is more of a outfitter/tackle joint than a bait shop.

I think you misunderstood my intent. I am only trying to get to a bait shop in a unfamiliar area. Not in this area. I agree that there are lousey shops and good ones, but when you want bait somewhere you are not familiar with in a hurry directions do help - good or bad.:lossinit:

rexhamer
04-12-2009, 08:43 AM
I go to Belsan's in Scituate primarily - fresh bait, up-to-date local reports, and an all around good guy in Pete.

I have never had any problems with Ferry Street, but on weekends, Belsan's is open much earlier in the AM. Maybe a new location will mean new hours, but in the past, Ferry Street was not open untl 8:00. He is convenient as I often launch in the South River and could pull right up to a dock behind the shop, but I am usually long gone by 8:00.

freebie
04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
M&D's in Wareham is my favorite, Mike is a great guy, willing to help anyone out with advice, and he makes great plugs

Rocco34520
04-12-2009, 06:52 PM
When im surf fishing its Saltwater Edge and soon to be JP's Bait & Tackle and when i fish the canal its M&D's, Redtop, and CCC.

beaver
04-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Growing up I always loved the Red Top. My dad and I would always stop after fishing the canal and he would buy me something (really something that he knew he could use) but I didn't care, then we'd hit one of the fast food spots on the Cranberry Hgwy right before I fell asleep in the truck for the rest of the ride.

Now a days you gotta like the Edge. They've done some great stuff for the sport.

tautog
04-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Can't beat Sam's Bait and tackle on Aquidneck Ave in Middletown.
Carries everything from Pond tackle to Canyon equipment.