View Full Version : Is the WW now a Gated Community

cow tamer
04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Last year they started putting up a gate to block road access. Anyone been by to see if we still have walking access?

cheferson
04-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Ive heard they are going to block access, have a guard there. You will have to walk along the beach from the beach parking lot to access the ww.

Rob Rockcrawler
04-10-2009, 03:14 AM
I think i will give the person a friendly wave and keep on tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g. From what i understand that gate is to stop vehicle traffic with the hopes of stopping pedestrian traffic as well. But the legality of stopping the pedestrian traffic is questionable at best. I think saying good morning in polish or some other language and giving a friendly smile will make the "guard" scratch his or her head. They had permission from the town to do some maintenance on the gate but i think they took a liberal definition to the word. In the next month there will be a lot more talk about this i think.

Chris in Mass
04-10-2009, 05:33 AM
If they can block it, it must mean it is a private road. Also, just looked it up in the Public Access to the RI Coast book and it is not there. Does this mean we are trespassing if we get called on it?

Bill L
04-10-2009, 07:48 AM
yeah, whatever

Slipknot
04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Is this the time of year we all need to keep ourselves from talking spots too often? Because access is at risk the more knuckleheads learn about new spots from reading the internet and then trash places or tresspass. There are other ways to get your points across than naming names.
good luck

fishbones
04-10-2009, 09:53 AM
So lets burn these spots too!!! :thanks:

The spots that Paul mentioned have been burned over and over before. Anyone who picks up a book about surfcasting in New England will find those places mentioned. If people are that concerned with catching a bunch of 12 to 18" fish, they can have the spots. I'll go somewhere else.

piemma
04-10-2009, 09:57 AM
The spots that Paul mentioned have been burned over and over before. Anyone who picks up a book about surfcasting in New England will find those places mentioned. If people are that concerned with catching a bunch of 12 to 18" fish, they can have the spots. I'll go somewhere else.

Thank you! As you so aptly said it there are a dozen books that talk abot the 2 "secret spots" I mentioned. Steve McKenna had a whole article in OTW that had "xxx" were to cast at these spot. So if I'm guilt of spot burning shoot me!

RIROCKHOUND
04-10-2009, 10:07 AM
:nailem::nailem::nailem:

:buds::buds::buds::buds:

cheferson
04-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Actually there never really was that many people at those areas. Access at the ww gets cut, wheres all those dumb asses gonna go Piemma's boat? I bet before you got your boat you didnt talk about spots like that here? And those articles are in print or out of print , not easily accessbile on the net.

striprman
04-10-2009, 10:25 AM
access should be increasing, not decreasing:bounce:

cheferson
04-10-2009, 10:46 AM

Just like the WW was, now look whats happening there.....

piemma
04-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh yeah, Google Spring schoolies in RI and see how many hits you get. 100s

JoeBass
04-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow! I run a school for juvenile delinquents, only the worst offenders. I bet these kids would love to fish! I can get about 50 on the bus. We'll be at the WW often this summer! See you there!

DZ
04-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Cow tamer,
To help answer your question I recommend you contact Bob Moeller who is a member of RISSA access committee. If you need his email address shoot me a PM.

To those of you who think the wall is only a schoolie spot - you literally are on the wrong side of the fence (or wall in this instance.) All shore access is precious and deserves protection.

DZ

Nebe
04-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Someone should delete this thread...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

slow eddie
04-10-2009, 12:04 PM
thank you dz. all access to all spots are precious. we'll end up like conn. with no where to go but on a boat. that is a private road. i have no idea if 30 yrs. of use means there is no emmint domain in effect.
you cannot really blame the residents in all do respect. how many dirty diapers do you really need on your lawn anyway?

slow eddie
04-10-2009, 12:07 PM
thanks dz. we need all the spots to fish we can get. just a schoolie spot, i don't think so.
on the other hand, do you really want your front yard full of dirty diapers and everyone's trash? that is a private road. i do not know if 30 yrs;. of use by the walkers means anything

piemma
04-10-2009, 12:16 PM
OK, I give up. Everyone has a right to their opinion and I have voiced mine. If you want to go to war over the ww, go for it.

Personally, I don't think anyone will win if it isn't a cut in stone ROW.

I will now, respectfully, ban myself from this thread.:cputin::wavey:

Bill L
04-10-2009, 12:20 PM
To answer your question, no there is no gate at the road to the wall yet, and nobody has restricted foot access down the road this spring. It may be coming in the future, we will see if they plan to block pedestrian access at some point after the gate is installed (it is coming), or if it will just be for cars as in the past.

DZ is correct, we should not give up on ANY access points, where will it end?

As for sending people to other nearby specific spots, why is that OK? No, they are not "secret" spots, is it OK becasue its "just schoolie fishing", or its been published before in shore guides or reports, or you dont fish there anymore, etc??

cheferson
04-10-2009, 01:38 PM
First they are not getting in my boat. Second, I never fished the ww Third, if you think is a "secret spot" you are smoking those mushrooms you are growing and finally, I cannot believe you are making such a big deal about the ww. It's a friggin' schoolie spot. Maybe in the Fall it's a different animal but it's a schoolie spot until then.

You and I both know you fish other spots in the Spring that are much better.

Ummmmmmmm, smoking mushrooms , no.... Guess you cant argue with a senile old phart :). Never said it was secret , but now many more will google them and maybe go check it out. When did i make a big deal out of the WW?? I just said now all idiots that cant go to the WW , may go to the spots you mentioned instead. Yes i do fish other spots , but it doesnt mean i dont fish any of those mentioned in the spring . You know what spot/report talk online does. Remeber the time a few years ago you said " the fall run has started" ??? Then the next day everyone and there brother was at your spot. And you cried and made a big deal out of it cause there was no room for you???

cheferson
04-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Really no need to get personal, but if you want to say im a high wackjob smoking mushrooms, i can go at it with the best of them. Funny too how your friends agree with no need to name spots , but wont say in public.................

Saltheart
04-10-2009, 01:50 PM
We don't burn spots , especially when they are active. In Janaury you might let it go but now a spit burn could add 20 guys to the already rediculously large crod. Bottom line , spot burning loses access. I have heard all kinds of reasons why people justify burning spots. I don't fish there anymore , it a schoolie spot , everyone knows that spot , its a state fishing spot , I can do what I want , etc etc.

Site policy is no spot burning. I don't care about reasons why you think its OK. Until the site policy changes , needless spot burning will be edited out.

JohnR
04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
What he said. So please all take a step back from the nasty grams, do the group hug, etc...

Personally, my take is we need to do what we can to keep access open. All access is precious. Schoolies or not.

And as mentioned above, it is hard to blame some residents when it comes to the trash and mess some people leave around there....

Nebe
04-10-2009, 02:48 PM
http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/chippenfail.jpg

Raven
04-10-2009, 02:55 PM
i think it will be soon known
by all

that the number of people fishing
at any given spot may double
or at least increase by 50%
with the number of people
out of work

vineyardblues
04-10-2009, 03:53 PM
i think it will be soon known
by all

that the number of people fishing
at any given spot may double
or at least increase by 50%
with the number of people
out of work

Your a wise man Charlie Brown , :eek:

You are correct Raven,
VB

afterhours
04-10-2009, 03:53 PM
gee..i thought i posted here...where'd it go????:huh: why?

spence
04-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Who smokes mushrooms?

-spence

Rockport24
04-10-2009, 05:00 PM
oh man spots and more spots! Is there any other topic that is the cause of more disdain on fishing forums than spot talk? ohhh...maybe the political forums, just ask TDF :D

Mr. Sandman
04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
We have moved from plug building, politics, various scupper topics TO SPOTBURNING!!!!

Its here!!!

:jump:

denis
04-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I have one question ,when was the west built,think in the early to mid 40's not sure.

RIROCKHOUND
04-11-2009, 11:20 AM
The harbor of refuge jetties dates to the early 1900's

piemma
04-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Did you see Fish_Eye's thread on herring? He mentioned "mouth of the river.

UH OH Spot burn!!:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::wavey:

I think I need some time away from this Board. I'm getting as crazy as some of the rest of you.