View Full Version : paint remover

stripermaineiac
04-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I've got a bunch of very nice old plugs that some one rattle canned them with flourecent red and silver. I'm wondering if ther're any ideas out there to gently take the paint off them. These are all vintage 40's to late 50s jewels. So any ideas would be welcome. Thanks

The Dad Fisherman
04-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Just sand them a little and hit them with a coat of primer....repaint and you should be good to go,

Adam R
04-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Try using ammonia. Use a little at at time on a paper towel or rag, the spray paint should begin to lift from the original paint. It will take several applications before it begins to work. Keep the spray paint moist with ammonia. Use your thumb nail or something fairly soft (not metal) to help it along. Go slowly - this isn't a 5 minute job.

stripermaineiac
04-13-2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks I'll give it a shot. Ron

Tagger
04-13-2009, 07:28 AM
lightly flame with a propane torch, aka Winch .. scary sounding but works.. I was doing the paint remover ,, then the cleaner to remove the paint remover ... too messy ,,not healthy and pia .. If you have a torch try it on your least favirote .. It will flame up ,,,blow it out fast ... paint will curl up .. lightly sand

The Dad Fisherman
04-13-2009, 07:34 AM
I guess the big question is are you going to fish them or are you trying to restore them?

I still think If you are just going to fish them just sand and re-prime/re-paint....should be a lot less hassle.

stripermaineiac
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
If all works out right I'm gonna display them. If not I'm redoin them to fish

gone fishin
04-13-2009, 09:27 PM
It sounds like you have some old plugs that were painted on the beach. we used to carry spray paint to change the colors on the fly.

I bet those plugs have MOJO! Leave em be and fish them. Spin up dupes for yourself also.:kewl: