View Full Version : buck tails?????

justpluging
04-11-2009, 04:56 PM
just made some pencil poppers, the tail hook i put a siwash. i don't know if i should make it a buck tail ?

Slipknot
04-11-2009, 08:03 PM
ya you could add bucktail to the single hook, but I'd do it sparsely so it's more streamlined and won't affect the cast much. Or you could use some flashaboo.

Raven
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
i think the bucktail ads just what is needed.

Tagger
04-12-2009, 06:44 AM
I usaully just go naked on the tail ,so not to kill any action,, I'm thinkin this year of just adding the tiniest amount of flash on the tail .a few strands... a little birdie told me too ... Stan K.

stripermaineiac
04-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I use alot of pencils. One of the best ways I've found is fishing them like a needle. Many of the tails I tie for them are a bit fuller than you normally see. I make my pencils with and without tails. Some to cast a long way and others for shorter stuff mainly chasing big stripers in the rock piles. My best big striperplugs don't cast for a damn like the P-40 and Dannys. Distance is a good thing at times and other times you are casting way past the big fish. Just food for thought. Ron

justpluging
04-12-2009, 06:47 PM
so maybe just a little or nothing. that sounds good, thanks!!!!

beaver
04-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Almost all the pencils I use have bucktail on a siwash. I wouldn't say I tie them sparsely, but more moderately sparse. In my opinion it doesn't affect my casting that much, but really adds to the appeal of the plug. I like to put a little red or chart. in there with the white to spice it up a little.