View Full Version : Gannets

Backbeach Jake
04-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Diving by the dozens in P-Town Harbor this AM. Herring? Seemed to be feeding heavily. :jump:Soon now...

OLD GOAT
04-12-2009, 11:34 AM
I,ve always been amazed by Gannets. Wife and i had the pleasure of seeing them at their nesting site at St. Marys bay sanctuary,Newfoundland,Canada. Thousands of them on a rocky cliff

DZ
04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Diving by the dozens in P-Town Harbor this AM. Herring? Seemed to be feeding heavily. :jump:Soon now...

Back,
Could also be feeding on sand eels. Back when Block had a heavy sand eel presence the gannets would feed on them heavily.

Good sign either way.

DZ

spinncognito
04-12-2009, 06:33 PM
seems early but the OTW report this week said mackerel are abundant in some inshore waters. Diving gannets are quite the spectacle. Saw an awesome display a coupla seasons ago withing 100 yards of shore with them dive-bombing tinker macs. :soon:

Finlander
04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Was out on the bank doing a little codfishing yesterday, gannets out there aswell, have never seen so many whales and bait on bank. We even were snaging sandeels with our jigs. The cod all had baseball size stomachs filled with eels. Did not see any herring but these got to be some around out here aswell.

justplugit
04-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Amazing sight, especially in Nov.

I saw on the Nat Geo channel where, when a Pelican air dives from 40ft
the percussion will shock baitfish all around a 6 ft area.

Raven
04-18-2009, 04:19 AM
that's cheating :eek: