View Full Version : Which Penn?

CanalGuy
04-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Okay got a certificate to Kittery and wondering if anyone has any advice on which reel. The Penn International 975, 975LD, or Shimano Trinidad TN16N. The reel will be put on a custom rod eventually for strictly canal fishing. I usually fish bait but also do some jigging occasionally. I will probably spool with 30# mono. I'm leaning towards the 975 because of line capacity over the 975LD. I've been fishing the canal for years and finally got a chance for quite an upgrade. Asking for help because I usually get the job done with my old set-ups, never dropped this much on a reel. Thanks

mikecc
04-15-2009, 05:41 PM
go with the shimano

Rip Runner
04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Another vote for the Shimano.

crash
04-15-2009, 05:52 PM
I use a Tn14 in the canal, imo the shimano is much better suited for that kind of fishing.

niko
04-15-2009, 06:50 PM
i had the 975 and was never happy w/ it

macojoe
04-15-2009, 07:00 PM
I have always used Penn cause I boat fish and they are good work horses, and easy to get parts for.
But IMO they have never made a good casting reel and they have nothing at all that interests me now that they have moved away and smiled down.

Some of my stuff is getting pretty old and worn out now and will be upgrading a little at a time. I have been looking at Diwa, we will see what happens.

Good luck

Mike P
04-15-2009, 08:17 PM
If someone gave me a 975 the first thing I'd do is put it up for sale in the classifieds.

I had two. No thanks on the third. :no2:

CanalGuy
04-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the opinions so far, my only problem with the trinidad is that it doesn't have the level-wind. I've had thumb reels in the past and have no problem doing so but it's just so much easier with the levelwind. I know you lose a little casting but everyone has to agree it's probably the best addition to conventionals in years. It's like driving an automatic don't you like being able to eat and smoke easily. They do carry one other Shimano the Tekota TEK600. Anyone try one of these? Run around half the price but that's not a factor. I'm surprised with all the problems people have had with the 975 I know Penns have been going downhill but I figured they kept up with their elite reels.

spence
04-16-2009, 04:47 PM
i had the 975 and was never happy w/ it

I had one and sold it before I ever used it!

-spence

Mike P
04-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the opinions so far, my only problem with the trinidad is that it doesn't have the level-wind. I've had thumb reels in the past and have no problem doing so but it's just so much easier with the levelwind. I know you lose a little casting but everyone has to agree it's probably the best addition to conventionals in years. It's like driving an automatic don't you like being able to eat and smoke easily. They do carry one other Shimano the Tekota TEK600. Anyone try one of these? Run around half the price but that's not a factor. I'm surprised with all the problems people have had with the 975 I know Penns have been going downhill but I figured they kept up with their elite reels.

The 975 is far from one of Penn's "elite" reels, even though it carries the "International" label. It is nothing at all like a real International. It has more plastic inside than you'd believe, including the entire bridge plate. :doh:

Flaptail just gave a pretty good review of his Tektota 600 a week or so ago.

Brian L
04-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I 2nd the TN14 over the TN16. Great drag, low profile, super smooth. I had a couple 975's but they didn't compare to the Trini's. I have two TN14's and I love them.

Mike P
04-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Here's Flaptail singing the praises of the Tekota 600:

http://striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?p=679655#post679655

Raven
04-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Gee i didn't even Know flaptail could sing.... :huh:

ya learn somethin every day here....

CanalGuy
04-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the opinions guys after staring at the 3 or 4 reels for about an hour I pulled the trigger on the Shimano Calcutta CT700B. Wasn't listed as an option on the website but looked and felt great when I got up there. Thanks again, now it's time to test the drag!

mikecc
04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
You should have looked at the Daiwa Saltist. The Saltist is 1/2 the price of the Shimano and just as good