View Full Version : What's in your toolbox?

Sgt_Nutz
04-15-2009, 05:44 PM
What do you consider essential tools to keep on the boat?

I was loading the boat for the season today and picked up the orange "essentials" box. It seems awful heavy. Full of wrenches, various screwdrivers, pliers, vice grips, some emergency gear ect... Wondering if I should cut down some...

Big Game
04-15-2009, 07:41 PM
You know how it goes....you wont use a tool for 10 years on your boat and the one day you don't have it with you, you're going to need it.:wall:

Raven
04-15-2009, 07:45 PM
that can cut hooks
duct tape

ProfessorM
04-16-2009, 11:14 AM
VG's
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Hooper
04-16-2009, 11:27 AM
A truly huge friggin' hammer! Which jibes perfectly with my philosophy, "Force it until it breaks, if it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways"

Van
04-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Sea Tow card ...........LOL

Seriously,,,, just a few essentials, slip joint pliers, flat and phillips head, adjustable and Tape, thats about it....plus with these new motors you would need an entire shop and a diagnostic computer onboard to fix anything.

BassyiusMaximus
04-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I agree with Van. I don't even carry spark plugs or the socket anymore as I have a 4 stroke. All depends on the motor you got. I have a 4-stroke outboard and if something goes wrong, nothing much I can do about it nowadays but call the TowBoatUS with my location.

Philipps
Flat blade
Adjustable wrench
Pliers
Vice Grips
Diagonal Cutters
Duct Tape, I think
Rescue/Atomic Tape
Electrical Tape
Zip Ties
Prop Wrench and spare washer/thrust washer/hub and prop

saltyric
04-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Pretty much carry the same as above, plus a spare water seperater , filter wrench, and a small box of crimps.....

Van
04-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Pretty much carry the same as above, plus a spare water sperater , filter wrench, and a small box of crimps.....

Oh yea I forgot the spare filter and wrench....Now thats important with that E-10 crap we have to use now.

saltyric
04-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Also, aside from the toolbox, I have a ditch bag........handheld gps, vhf, flash light, flares, whistle, water, MRE, compass, signal mirror, epirb, some other small stuff......

MakoMike
04-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Full set of tools, screwdrivers, phillips, flat head and torque. Full set of combination wrenches in both SAE and Metric. Full set of allen wrenches in SAE & Metric. Several different sizes of Vice grips. 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drive socket sets in bothe SAE and Metric. Hammer, axe, chisels, wire ties, wire stripper & cutter and crimper, various wire connectors, and probably another 1/2 dozen tools I forgot to mention.

Mr. Sandman
04-17-2009, 08:52 AM
Just go buy one of those marine tool kits, it comes in a nice plastic kit, stows well and has most of what you need. Supplement that with some atomic tape (good stuff), zip ties, fuses, wood plugs, oil/lube/parts etc, as needed. (I spray the tools with a anti corrosive spay and lay a diaper (rag) on the tools and close the box up. (they stay in good condition that way) )

They have more complete sets but something like this is a good start.
http://www.whatsyourdeal.com/forums/1901297-seafit-tools-boatyard-ii-tool-set.html

RIJIMMY
04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
i just carry a cell phone and vhf to call for help. I'd have no clue to do with the tools.

Sgt_Nutz
04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
I think I have most of the above except for the tape. Will have to add that. I can also tie a rope to the toolbox handle and have it double as a mooring anchor!