View Full Version : The North Shore in early June

Squibby17
04-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey guy's I've been holed up all winter but I'm starting to get the fishing bug again. My dad and his friends always go to the vineyard for a spring trip unfortunately the past few years we haven't caught many fish and with the economic situation it's become too expensive for us this year.

So we are locked into the first weekend in June. I'm hosting the guys up here in gloucester. I've only lived here 2 years and have caught some early season fish but they were mostly of the schoolie variety. Have you guys had any luck that early up here? Is there any chance of catching a decent sized fish? Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ty

The Dad Fisherman
04-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Mid May is usually when things get started up here. Late may/early June is usually when the 1st push of decent size fish come in up here....depending on how things play out.

I would think you guys would have a good weekend to fish.

I'll PM you later........

Jim in CT
04-16-2009, 07:15 AM
If a charter trip is a possibility, you have a great captain right in Gloucester (I think), name is Kevin Twombly, I think the outfir is called Kayman Too Charters or something like that. I know he does well in June with stripers on live bait (herring or mackerel), and he is also a very well regarded cod fisherman.

I have never been fishing with this gentleman. But I have heard good things.

spinncognito
04-16-2009, 10:57 AM
What Kevin said.

Yes, there is a shot you can hook up with a "decent" fish but the usual variables will dictate your outcomes. Mainly water temp and bait presence. That being said, last year despite being inudated with big schools of mackerel, the large bass were not abundant. Best bet would be to get into a boat and head just outside of the harbor near the "groaner" bouy and jig up a few tinker macs to liveline. From shore you could find large if you fish pre-dawn into first light tossing sluggos among the rockiest places. Also, a full moon that weekend means big tides and in past years slack high and slack low have produced.

spin

RickBomba
04-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Past seasons would cause me to agree with spin.

Fish_Eye
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
These spots hold large at one time or another.

Fish_Eye
04-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Stripers over 70 to 75 pounds at daybreak...many moons ago.

nightfighter
04-16-2009, 06:00 PM
These spots hold large at one time or another.

Hey, hey now....... You're talking the northern edge of my boat fishing grounds. Five years ago was hottest pre dawn striper fishing I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMHs_hu5pSg

tattoobob
04-16-2009, 07:30 PM
This takes spot burning to a whole new level

Rockport24
04-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Yikes! there are no fish up here! I heard they are all in the canal :D

seriously though, Spinn and Kev know whats up around these parts. I agree that the beginning of June is when we see the first of the bigger fish, say, over 15 pounds, around here.

Squibby17
04-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Guys good news. Looks like I got the weekend moved to June 20th which is ideal. Tides are perfect. Longest days of the year too. I need to do some serious scouting in the preceeding weeks so perhaps we can wet a line together.

MrHunters
04-17-2009, 01:23 PM
This takes spot burning to a whole new level

you said it boy.

american spirit
04-17-2009, 02:25 PM
last year it looked like you had a few spots dialed in up on the north shore (based on pics you posted). things should turn on for fish in the teens, with a random high 20#, 30# fish. hey, i don't know. good luck.