View Full Version : Getting There

Van
04-19-2009, 05:44 PM
What a PIA bottom painting is. Me and a buddy sanded and touched up the old red paint last week.:yak4:

Yesterday I put 2 coats of new black over the old red. Came out great, just have to touch up where the blocks and stands are. Neighbor comes out and says "looks good". Yea but no one will see it when its underwater ,,,, she laughed......

Next time I am going to pay someone to do it.:rolleyes:

Next step is to finish the steering repair.
Then install the new electronics.
Then she will be ready to go in.

BEETLE
04-19-2009, 07:02 PM
If you're looking for a hand call me if i'm free i'm there... Currently unemployed !

Raider Ronnie
04-19-2009, 07:13 PM
If you're looking for a hand call me if i'm free i'm there... Currently unemployed !

-Steve, that sucks about being unemployed !
-Black bottom paint looks much better than the red. :uhuh:

Van
04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
-Steve, that sucks about being unemployed !
-Black bottom paint looks much better than the red. :uhuh:

Geez,, Steve that does suck. I wish I knew before I started, I would have gladly paid you $5 and hour to sand and paint for me...LOL..

Yes it does Ron.
When red shows again, I know its time to touch up the black..

Rick Ackley
04-21-2009, 07:29 AM
Add a Red Boot Stripe. It will make the contrast really stand out. Looks great though. Nice ride.

Big Game
04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I can relate....I painted mine this year for the first time in a while....and now I remember why I've been paying someone else to do it.

The painting isn't too bad...it's the sanding that really sucks.

thefishingfreak
04-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I thought you fixed the steering a while back?

Hooper
04-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Van, she looks real good.

I pressure washed the hell out of my bottom last fall the day she was hauled. Then I did some spot sanding this spring followed by another pressure washing. Rolled on a nice heavy coat of black Trinadad a few days later and now I splash on Monday afternoon.

Time to find some squid now!

quick decision
04-25-2009, 07:46 PM
I like the black too. What type of paint sdid you use?

Van
04-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I thought you fixed the steering a while back?

Mike, that was when I went back to mechanical after all the BS with the stupid hydraulic system. The cable lasted 4 seasons and now its worn internally. Got a new one coming and this time I will add the cable lubrication system so I should get more years out of it.
Even though I need a new cable, 60 bucks versus 500 for a hy. cylinder is not too hard to take.

Quick Dec. I have been using Interlux ACT (Much cheaper than some other brands 130/gal online.) and I've had very good luck with it. The first time I painted, it lasted 5-7 years with only touch ups after the 3rd year. But this time I decided to do the whole thing over again. I still have red under the black so when I see red, its the sign its touch-up time again. This should last for years.

Got the boat back on the trailer Saturday.
Installed the thru hull X-ducer.
The cable should delivered in a day or 2.
I'll do that this week.
Then put in the electronics.
Wash-Wax then SPLASH !!!

Casper
04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Van,

Boat looks real nice - good job!