View Full Version : T.W.I.C. Card for Charter Captains

Rip Runner
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
I just got all my information back and just keep thinking this is purely to create more revenue. I think having to get this card is a total waste for anyone that is not transporting goods via boat/truck on a daily basis to secured ports.

I have had a few really mean bluefish come over the gunnels but I haven't seen one bite through a tanker yet.

I am wrong does this card have any value to protect our ports from U.S. born Citizens that fish for a living?

Raider Ronnie
04-21-2009, 05:41 PM
It stinks but unless we get it and fork over the $132.50 they won't renew your ticket.
I've been told a rumor there is another lic/ID they are working on thats going to be $800 :wall:

RIROCKHOUND
04-21-2009, 05:47 PM
If they do that, I'd have to think long and hard.
132.50 over 5 years I can justify, 800.00 is getting ridiculous...
got mine, it was a hassle b/c they moved the New London office... oh well

Van
04-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I just got all my information back and just keep thinking this is purely to create more revenue. I think having to get this card is a total waste for anyone that is not transporting goods via boat/truck on a daily basis to secured ports.

I have had a few really mean bluefish come over the gunnels but I haven't seen one bite through a tanker yet.

I am wrong does this card have any value to protect our ports from U.S. born Citizens that fish for a living?

Got mine a couple of weeks ago. I totally agree, its just another tax!
I don't believe it serves any purpose, especially for those holding their mariners license, we already went through all the security checks and fingerprinting. Add the fishing license to that and it is going to get way too expensive for us to charter or even fish for that matter. What will happen when clients want to take a charter to find out they need a license (even a 3 day),. Gonna hurt charters and tackle shops. Short sighted morons in office (opps did I type that out loud) !!!!!!!

big jay
04-21-2009, 09:46 PM
This thing sucks.
Absolutely no benefit or relevance to charter fishing - just another tax to help fund our bloated, spend happy government.

My dad, myself, and one of our mates are licensed, so our operation gets to donate another $396.50.

Wonderful.

Hooper
04-23-2009, 08:52 PM
I got mine and I was one pissed off camper doing it. We are really !@#$%'d in this nation, I don't care if there is a (D) or (R) after their name, they all suck. I don't believe in any party now, we've been sold out, taxed to death, lied to, bamboozled, and generally screwed so hard we don't even know who we are anymore. We're being led by the most corrupt, incompetent, short-sighted, self-serving collections of idiots. One name, Barney.

I seriously considered not getting the TWIC and letting my license lapse, I don't REALLY need it, just did it because I thought it would be cool to have. I am so angry at this TWIC card requirement, makes me want to puke.

Raider Ronnie
04-23-2009, 09:30 PM
I've got to run into Boston tomorrow to pick up mine.

stiff tip
04-24-2009, 04:52 AM
more tax money... every yr its something new. its not worth it if you only want to carry the capt. card or only do a few pay trips per yr.but i have respect for the guys that got one

thefishingfreak
04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
were all boaters, whats another hundred bucks or so :1poke:

bobber
04-27-2009, 11:08 PM
I just don't get what the friggin thing is SUPPOSED to do for us??? "allow access to secured ports"??? what the hell is that? we all have licenses/ID's form our home state, waht does this thng do for us??

I'm not running down to New Haven just yet to get mine..... for the amount of charters I run (maybe 10 a year- hopefully more this year) I'll take my chance- if I need it to renew in a coupla years, I'll get it done then....

Mr. Sandman
04-28-2009, 05:41 AM
I have never gotten any notice that I even need one...have you?

Do you only need one to renew?

Raider Ronnie
04-28-2009, 06:18 AM
I have never gotten any notice that I even need one...have you?

Do you only need one to renew?

They don't notify you.
1st register, then make an appointment.
https://twicprogram.tsa.dhs.gov/TWICWebApp/Instructions.do

Mr. Sandman
04-28-2009, 08:39 AM
Where does it say that I have to get one?

RIROCKHOUND
04-28-2009, 08:43 AM
http://uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/TWIC_Information_Bulletin_13Feb.pdf

Rip Runner
04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
I just don't get what the friggin thing is SUPPOSED to do for us??? "allow access to secured ports"??? what the hell is that? we all have licenses/ID's form our home state, waht does this thng do for us??

I'm not running down to New Haven just yet to get mine..... for the amount of charters I run (maybe 10 a year- hopefully more this year) I'll take my chance- if I need it to renew in a coupla years, I'll get it done then....

That's where they get you as well. You need it in order to renew your license.

beamie
05-01-2009, 04:39 AM
If you want to get more pissed, try using it going thru the airport. They look at it like you have 2 heads. And this is an ID given by the TSA. And they are catching on real slow.

TSA = THOUSANDS STANDING AROUND!!!

BTW, Ronnie mentioned this, there is another one coming. Not sure the cost. It is called the MMCR. Merchant Mariner Credential. Again this should just apply to guys like me sailing deep sea but you just watch, like the twic everyone will need it. What this will do is put ALL your documentation in one booklet. Sounds great, but at what cost.????

MakoMike
05-01-2009, 07:34 AM
If you want to get more pissed, try using it going thru the airport. They look at it like you have 2 heads. And this is an ID given by the TSA. And they are catching on real slow.

TSA = THOUSANDS STANDING AROUND!!!

BTW, Ronnie mentioned this, there is another one coming. Not sure the cost. It is called the MMCR. Merchant Mariner Credential. Again this should just apply to guys like me sailing deep sea but you just watch, like the twic everyone will need it. What this will do is put ALL your documentation in one booklet. Sounds great, but at what cost.????

I had heard that the MMC will replace the paper license that they currently hand out?

Swimmer
05-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Is this just for all you guys that have 6-pack licenses or do other boat owners have to get them?

thefishingfreak
05-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Is this just for all you guys that have 6-pack licenses or do other boat owners have to get them?

Licenced Capt's only ....so far