View Full Version : Beach Driving

cableguy
04-22-2009, 05:41 AM
I am a little nervous about getting a ORV sticker ( dont know if they are available still ).....I have never driven on the beach before...I read the regulations, and understand that, but, can any of you let me know what it is like to drive out there.....I don't feel like being "that guy" if I do get one....and I dont want to get stuck @ 2 am...

PS.....I have a Explorer.

BigFish
04-22-2009, 06:11 AM
You can still get an oversand permit. Just obey all the rules particularly when you air down.....this is most important. 11 psi is the norm and you should have no trouble....."low and slow" is the rule. Good luck and enjoy!

Driving on the sand is a wonderful experience...you will love it!

Offshore24
04-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Just don't forget a couple things.

1. The tide
2. When you return to the pavement, you better keep it slow or air back up.

2na
04-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Like Bigfish says, air down! The #1 cause of getting stuck in the sand is too much air in tires. An explorer will make a pretty good beach buggy. Larger tires are also an advantage - the more air you let out the flatter the bottom and sides of your tire are and make a larger footprint, meaning it distributes the weight of your vehicle across more square inch of tire in contact with the sand.

Also, be aware that each beach (and areas along the same beach) will has different sand characteristics. Some sand holds firmer and is easier to drive, some is looser and requires more attention. Where did you plan on getting a sticker??

maddmatt
04-22-2009, 11:35 AM
1. listen to 2na
2. don't always follow him

saltfly
04-22-2009, 01:29 PM
1. listen to 2na
2. don't always follow him:jump::jump1::uhuh:

fishonnelsons
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
NEVER follow him!

2na
04-22-2009, 03:21 PM
just because you guys drive like ladies is no reason to mock me

Sweetwater
04-22-2009, 03:45 PM
NEVER follow him!

If you do decide to follow 2na, get in line early. Last year he looked like the freaking Pied Piper with all the trucks sticking too his tail. Jeesh, you'd think he was actually catching fish or something. :) :fishin:

Sorry Mike..did I just ruin your year? :soon:

OLD GOAT
04-22-2009, 04:36 PM
cableguy Welcome to real fishing. #1 air down,a must. #2don,t over steer in the tracks. Steer hard when trying to jump out of tracks.#3Low range for newbies and 7mph will keep your stuff were it belongs. #4If you start to overheat try to head your car into the wind,it will cool faster. #5 Make sure you have fun, that's what its all about

saltfly
04-22-2009, 05:01 PM
just because you guys drive like ladies is no reason to mock meSURE THERE IS!!!!!!!!!:spin::spin::spin:

Jenn
04-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Follow the rules...follow the above and dont be an idiot. Low and slow for a reason. If I see you stuck and you ask for help you bet I will check your air pressure and laugh at you if its too high! ( we did stop to assist a stuck driver once that had 20PSI in the tires. Also thought the 4WD wasnt working-helps when you actually have it IN 4WD)

Anyway all joking aside its not like you will get stuck every 5 feet....just use your head.

BasicPatrick
04-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Check out the MA Beach Buggy Web Site (www.mbba.net)...also you might try attending one of their Beach Clean Ups where you will meet many many experienced members that love to share tips and experience

maddmatt
04-23-2009, 12:57 PM
just because you guys drive like ladies is no reason to mock me

thats not a lady! thats my father!!!