View Full Version : Job in Woods Hole

nightprowler
04-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Any one looking for work in Woods Hole?
(if this isn't allowed I apologize)
---
http://www.candidatemanager.net/cm/Micro/JobDetails.aspx?&mid=YWWY&sid=BAZDB&jid=FAZBBFD&site=Other

The Geology and Geophysics Department is searching for an Information Systems Assistant III/Associate I to join their team. This is a regular full-time position and is eligible for benefits.

Responsible for the operation of a LAN (~30 nodes, mostly PC's and Macs), including servers for a UNIX-based relational database (SYBASE). After some training: programming support of specific staff projects, relating to the field of Accelerator Mass Spectrometry. General software and hardware support for the facility staff. Maintenance of the facility website.
Proficiency in higher level programming and scripting. Knowledge of LabVIEW and MATLAB programming would be highly desirable. Basic knowledge in error analysis and statistics a plus.

Maintenance and development of a relational database (MS SQL Server) and its user interface applications. Maintenance of a 30-node LAN. After some training: programming support of specific staff projects, relating to the field of Accelerator Mass Spectrometry. General software and hardware support for the facility staff. Maintenance of the facility website.

Rip Runner
04-24-2009, 03:06 PM
I might know someone, can you tell me a pay range for the position. How much back end database experience is needed. Will they need data warehouse experience, or just stand alone or silo sybase experience?

Cool Beans
04-25-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm looking for that type of work, but it'd be a 1 1/2 hour drive each way. I'm stuck near Newport as kids really want to stay same school, my Son's a junior in high school, an I'd hate to make him switch schools.

JohnR
04-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Any job leads that help any other S-B'ers I'm all for.

ProfessorM
04-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Great place to work, I was there today

striperman36
04-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Yes , what would be the pay range and would you have fishing rights to be excused from work for albies at the dock?

ProfessorM
04-26-2009, 01:36 PM
LOL. My friends machine looks out over the hole and he says it is tough some days watching the fish push the bait in. That job will probably be up the street a bit. The accelerator is up on the campus. The machine shop, carpenters shop and welding shop are on the dock and have the great view. Either way a great place to get a job.

nightprowler
04-27-2009, 07:20 AM
The job would be on the Quissett campus, so can't see when the fish push bait into the harbor. You will have the golden ticket of a whoi sticker to park in the lots in the hole though.
As for the job itself, I am not the one doing the hiring so I don't really know to much about the job, pay scale or experience needed. I just know we are looking for someone and thought this may be a good group to alert.

nightprowler
04-27-2009, 07:22 AM
LOL. My friends machine looks out over the hole and he says it is tough some days watching the fish push the bait in. That job will probably be up the street a bit. The accelerator is up on the campus. The machine shop, carpenters shop and welding shop are on the dock and have the great view. Either way a great place to get a job.

Those guys down there have it made! Every time I go to the shop for something I shoot the sh%t about fishing and wish I could be down there for my lunch. There is a herring run close to me though...

nightprowler
04-27-2009, 07:23 AM
I'm looking for that type of work, but it'd be a 1 1/2 hour drive each way. I'm stuck near Newport as kids really want to stay same school, my Son's a junior in high school, an I'd hate to make him switch schools.

I made the commute from Tiverton for 18 months and my wife is going the opposite way now to 'gansett. Its an easy drive you just have to not mind being in the car for that long.

ProfessorM
04-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Those guys down there have it made! Every time I go to the shop for something I shoot the sh%t about fishing and wish I could be down there for my lunch. There is a herring run close to me though...

. They do have it made and it's just not fair.

gf2020
04-28-2009, 06:52 AM
Sounds like nice junior level position. 1 person supporting 30 PCs? That's a cake job!

Gunpowder
04-28-2009, 09:41 AM
this will be my fourth summer with the MBL doing scuba diving with them. its awesomeee having a parking sticker down there and fishing during lunch :)

striperman36
04-28-2009, 10:27 AM
. They do have it made and it's just not fair.

It's just not fair, Prof, but somebody has to do it. It might as well be you. That second shift is hard to take, just when the tides are right, your'e on your way home, sad sad

ProfessorM
04-28-2009, 11:53 AM
this will be my fourth summer with the MBL doing scuba diving with them. its awesomeee having a parking sticker down there and fishing during lunch :)

Maybe they will finally finish the bridge, I saw it up in the air on Sat.

Bill I got the next best thing, 4 really good friends that work on the pier. I already do most of my work for them. Would be nice but would be a pretty long commute for me. I have to stick to Pocasset for now, could be worse. Hell I get to leave my boat on Cape and can hit all the good tides in the mornings and late nites, and fish most weekdays. I don't get ANY sleep though, making me a grouchy SOB.

nightprowler
04-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Its supposed to be done mid-may, they are supposedly just working on the automation. I believe May 17 is the target date.

Maybe they will finally finish the bridge, I saw it up in the air on Sat.

Bill I got the next best thing, 4 really good friends that work on the pier. I already do most of my work for them. Would be nice but would be a pretty long commute for me. I have to stick to Pocasset for now, could be worse. Hell I get to leave my boat on Cape and can hit all the good tides in the mornings and late nites, and fish most weekdays. I don't get ANY sleep though, making me a grouchy SOB.

striperman36
04-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't get ANY sleep though, making me a grouchy SOB.

That is true.