View Full Version : What are you guys wearing for waders and wading boots these days?

luds
04-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm about due for boots and waders. I typically go with cabelas dry plus and bean's ultra light boots because the return policies are so good but I rarely get a season out of either of them.

I need a tall size in the waders so it really limits things.

Pete F.
04-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Beans emergers and beans ultralights usually, I bought their new wading boot this time and I think it's:no2:, I'll trout fish this wknd and then decide. They are smaller and way stiffer, the ultralights are like comfortable sneakers.

spence
04-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Check out Sierra Trading Post...full lifetime on everything they sell.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/2248_Waders.html

Some great deals on a few nicer styles of GoreTex long waders. If you send me your email I have a web coupon for another 25% off.

-spence

ProfessorM
04-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I need some and have several Bean gift certificates so i guess it is the brand I will look at. I haven't a clue on what to get though. I never have owned a breathable pair. Can't decide between boot foot or the other.

STREETFIGHT
04-24-2009, 03:17 PM
i average 3 or 4 nights a week april thru december- 50/50 sand/rock - and get about 2.5/3 seasons out of the simms G3's they are a little more expensive but if your only buying a pair every 3 years its cheaper in the long run.

wader-dad
04-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Spring and fall- Gra-lite waders. Summer or rock hopping- Cloudveil waders and wading boots.

By the way- Gra-lite website is down becasue they only do custom waders now to your size for around $240. PM me for their contact info.

Cool Beans
04-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Check Cabelas Bargain Bin. They have several on sale now.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?cmCat=MainCatcat21404-cat21414&id=cat21492
Their Cabela's Alaskan Guide™ Dry-Plus® Breathable Waders - Stout
are normally $169 and are on sale in the bargain cave for $99

Bronko
04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I need some and have several Bean gift certificates so i guess it is the brand I will look at. I haven't a clue on what to get though. I never have owned a breathable pair. Can't decide between boot foot or the other.

Paul if you are going to go with llbeans (which I do as well) these are the ticket. Reasonable price and unreal return policy. Very sturdy and really comfortable, I am in mine all season. No complaints.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=50072&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

JLH
04-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Beginning of last season I bought the Cabela’s Alaskan guide waders and their ultralight felt soled wading boots.

I climb all over the rocks with them and the waders have held up pretty well aside from a few hook/fin holes. I’m not sure I would necessarily get the same ones again but I really can’t complain about them either.

I really like the boots, nice and light but supportive. I would definitely buy them again but it doesn’t look like I’ll need to replace them any time too soon.

ProfessorM
04-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Thank P. I will look at them for sure and the price is right.

slow eddie
04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
pair of simms i bought at a yard sale for 10.oo. cabellas ultra lite shoes. if you fish the rocks, and are of above middle age, stocking foot is the only way to go. unbelieveable support compared to stocking foot. korker 5000. and i'm off

The Dad Fisherman
04-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Just got a new pair of Bean Rapid Rivers....gonna try and get one more season out of my Hodgeman boots

Dad 818
04-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Red Head breathable stocking foot waders and just got a pair of the Bean studded ultralight boots.

johnny ducketts
04-24-2009, 08:15 PM
beans breathable emergers

numbskull
04-25-2009, 05:49 AM
I, too, have been very happy with the G3's.

luds
04-25-2009, 06:22 AM
I would be all over the bean waders but for some reason they only make them for short people. :nopain:

Back Beach
04-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Paul if you are going to go with llbeans (which I do as well) these are the ticket. Reasonable price and unreal return policy. Very sturdy and really comfortable, I am in mine all season. No complaints.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=50072&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

I will literally pound the table and second your recommendation for these waders too. I think they're the best by far.
I just can't see the fascination with stocking foot waders and wading boots...

tlapinski
04-25-2009, 07:42 AM
I have been using the Cabela's Guide Tech Dry Plus for a while now. They usually last me about 2 seasons before they need to be replaced. A little touch up in the crotch with some silicone keeps them going. That area is the one flaw as the seam leaks about half way into a season. Otherwise, they have been great.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat350005&id=0023556830475a&navCount=2&podId=0023556&parentId=cat350005&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat350005&hasJS=true

Returned last season's pair this week. Intended on replacing with the same ones, but they did not have them in stock at the East Hartford store, and I needed them ASAP, so I went with the new Guide Wear Dry Plus. They look to be the same material but they have the dry pocket on the outside and a couple added inside pockets in place of the weird detachable exterior pocket. That thing was the one part of the GT's that I did not like. I always removed that thing right away as it was too bulky under my dry top.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0044493&navCount=5&parentId=cat350005&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat350005&parentType=index&indexId=cat350005&rid=

For boots, I picked up a pair of Cabela's ultra light wading boots last year. They are decent, but might not last if I wore waders more often. For the price, they are a good deal, and the Cabela's warrantee can't be beat.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod.jsp?id=0026700&navCount=2&parentId=cat20616&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat20616&parentType=index&indexId=cat20616&rid=

Of course, the waders get less and less use now that i wear my wetsuit most of the time. The waders only really come out early and late in the season.

Back Beach
04-25-2009, 07:55 AM
I would be all over the bean waders but for some reason they only make them for short people. :nopain:

WTF Mike, did you grow 10" taller since the last time I saw you? My brother is 6'3" and has a pair, Bart is 6'3" or so and has a pair too.

You must be like 7'4" if you can't fit into them:laugha:

tobias
04-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Bean has two style of waders in tall sizes, the goretex model and their new Helix model. I don't think you need a tall size unless you've grown a foot like Backbeach said. I've got Bean's Wicked Tough waders in a tall size.

basswipe
04-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Started using the Albright Trinity waders that I bought over the Winter when they had that insane offer.I use them with Cabelas Ultralight boot.So far so good.Very durable.

For bootfoots I use Cabelas Gold Medal waders.Have had the same set I think for four,maybe five years now.No issues.

But I must admit as time passes and my knees and right shoulder deteriorate I find myself fishing ever lighter gear and walking a lot less distance,so for me I get more time out of my waders/boots.

numbskull
04-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Really suck for the outer cape
So/so for the canal
Fantastic for terrain like Cutty or jetty stuff (though arguably a wetsuit is better).
Too cold for winter trout.

I was thrilled when I made the switch to stockingfoots/wading boots for most of the fishing I do, but found I had to buy a second pair of bootfoot waders to cover more formal occassions.

striperman36
04-25-2009, 10:17 AM

I have the bean gortex wading pants, love them

leptar
04-25-2009, 11:07 AM
I love my silver labels from Orvis..
The new style looks promising...

Orvis silver label (http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=58T9&dir_id=758&group_id=777&cat_id=5594&subcat_id=11026)

luds
04-25-2009, 11:26 AM
BackBeach and Tobias,
Thanks. I'll give them a try. I've only ever tried on the emerger and I couldn't bend down to unhook a fish in them. Going to hit the burlington bean today or tomorrow.

Swimmer
04-25-2009, 11:59 AM
I was at L.L. Bean in Mansfield the other day and noticed they are also selling a style of Hogdeman Waders, which makes returning them even easier. The outlets do accept everything on returns even if you bought it from the catalog, right?

quick decision
04-25-2009, 02:47 PM
I bought a 50 dollar pair of rubber waiders last fall at #^&#^&#^&#^&s. I use my skinz belt and korkers with it. I also have a semi dry pull over I can put on if the waves are rough. I have a patch kit i keep in my tacklebag in case i have a flat. Caught a 5/0 in it last fall and pretty much ruined my day. Patch kit is cheap and you can be back in the water in minutes.

The Dad Fisherman
04-25-2009, 04:34 PM

See, myself....I can't stand bootfoot waders. They always seem to "float" on my foot as I walk in them and I don't get the ankle support I want with them.

Bootfoot are good for the sand (I still don't like them, though) but I want Stocking foot w/ boots for the rocks.

might Just be me......but not a fan

striperman36
04-25-2009, 08:27 PM
my beans have a gortex sock, I don't like the neoprene sock. A size 14 foot is nearly impossible to find comfortable foot wear.

I hike nearly 10 mi with my stockingfoot when we hit the Rapid River so I like wearing a lighter pair of hiking type boots.

when I fish the salt on the beach, I wear high top sneakers,
When I fish on the rocks I wear my studded boots.

My preference and opinion, it just works well for the types of fishing I do.

Gunpowder
04-26-2009, 02:54 PM
hodgman classic a/p waders with not a wading boot but a scuba neoprene boot.

Jorge
04-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Hodgeman breathables from LL Bean with Bean's studded lace ups

mosholu
04-26-2009, 09:27 PM
I do not see anyone else touting them but I would strongly recommend Snowbees XS. The have a studded boot so you do not need Korkers and the weight difference really makes a difference at the end of a long night climbing over rocks. The pair I have has gone through two seasons already with no problems.

angler229
04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Just got a pair of Bean's new Rapid River Waders and I really like them, reinforced through the entire leg and the padded shoulders are very comfortable. And if worst comes to worst you just can't beat their warranty. For wading boots I use Bean's studded ultralight II, I went through 2 pairs last year a year but I haven't found anything I like better. And again the warranty makes them worth owning.

ripitsik
04-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I second the ll bean rapid rivers. Put em on for the first time, I gotta say they are the most comfortable waders I've owned. Can't wait to put em to the test

mikrok
04-27-2009, 12:50 PM
simms bootfoot for sand...otherwise its a wetsuit

BasicPatrick
04-27-2009, 02:10 PM
I have never found waders that could last me a season...and yes I take care of them, just use them a lot and climbing the rocks, staying in water a lot and in general giving them hard use beats them up. I buy decent brands on sale and it is what it is. for the record...LL Bean were the ones that made me most happy.

Korkers Boots all day long...take a beating and keep going.