View Full Version : Narragansett offical beer of Striper Cup

whiplash
04-28-2009, 05:39 PM
So where will Striperfest be? Big step for the boys from Narragansett-Good luck I hope this works out for them.

likwid
04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
:yak5:

snake slinger
04-28-2009, 05:54 PM
have a gansett

The Dad Fisherman
04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
http://www.imodium.com/images/imodium/prd_5_2_imoad.gif
Official Sponsor of The Day After Striper Fest

Gunpowder
04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
http://www.imodium.com/images/imodium/prd_5_2_imoad.gif
Official Sponsor of The Day After Striper Fest

hahahha :hihi:

likwid
04-28-2009, 06:49 PM
I suppose it could be Genesse...

whiplash
04-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I think your all having flashbacks of youthful indiscretions:buds::buds::yak5: its not that bad for a domestic lager but it has to be real cold

Pete F.
04-28-2009, 08:48 PM
GIQ's were 50 cents, the drinking age was 21 then too. I remember Narragansett

Thumper
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
hey neighbor, have a gansett!

flyvice11787
04-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Nobody remembers oldies like Pabst, Schlitz, or Schmidts :err:?? That stuff makes Genesee and Naragansett look good :humpty:.

The Dad Fisherman
04-29-2009, 05:42 AM
I'd take a Pabst over a Gansett any day....PBR Talls...thats Livin

Raven
04-29-2009, 05:46 AM
wide mouth cans

GoFish
04-29-2009, 07:17 AM
NFN, isn't 'gansett brewed in St. Louis now?

JFigliuolo
04-29-2009, 07:27 AM
I suppose it could be Genesse...

Hey I grew up on Gennee cream ale... Or even better the 12 horse.

In college we'd get cases of Piels long necks for $6 and change...

fishbones
04-29-2009, 08:43 AM

I used to work a warehouse job during college breaks and we had to come in to take inventory on a Sat. every year. At lunch, someone would run out and pick up PBR talls and we'd finish up the day by drinking at work. That was about 18 years ago. I still pick up a 6 pack of PBR talls at least once a year for old times sake.

Anyone remember Stroh's? I think they were the first beer to come out with a 30 pack. Not very good stuff, but it did the trick back in the day.

the point
04-29-2009, 08:56 AM
without a doubt.:buds:

CaptMike
04-29-2009, 08:58 AM
I think gansett's made in rochester NY now "under the supervision of rhode islanders" or something. I dunno I think pbr and gansett are both pretty inocuous. They really don't have a strong enough flavor to be offensive. I like them both as hot weather beers.

Crafty Angler
04-29-2009, 09:02 AM

Pabst is the only American beer I can drink - although it's been more than a few years since I last had one -

Used to drink 'em when I lived in Florida...yup, red necks, white socks and Pabst Blue Ribbon beer...

On the other hand, a Narrie for $1.50 sounds good - beats $6 Amstels in Newport anyway...:hs:

Crafty Angler
04-29-2009, 09:05 AM
I think gansett's made in rochester NY now "under the supervision of rhode islanders" or something. I dunno I think pbr and gansett are both pretty inocuous. They really don't have a strong enough flavor to be offensive. I like them both as hot weather beers.

I actually know the new owners - and they have done a good job of re-establishing the brand

Although I doubt it's "made with pure Scituate spring water" anymore...

likwid
04-29-2009, 09:09 AM

By Genesse

Go figure. :rotflmao:

whiplash
04-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Are you guys telling me that if thats all there will be at the Striperfest you'll all go dry? RIGHT ,sure you will:cheers2:

fishbones
04-29-2009, 09:14 AM
By Genesse

Go figure. :rotflmao:

I remember going to parties at Syracuse where they'd pull up Gennessee trucks and unload keg after keg into the frat houses. I think we used to pay 50 cents for a cup to drink all you wanted. Even at that price, Gennessee was a ripoff. Probably my worst memory of going there to visit friends.

Saltheart
04-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Narragansett is the first beer I drank. My father drank it and his father drank it so I drank it! :)

Genee cream was not bad. The plain Genee was bad.You could leave a six pack in the fraternity fridge and noone would steal it! That's bad!

Best from the narragansett Brewery was haffenreffer Private stock. A malt ale affectionately called Green Death.

Rockport24
04-29-2009, 09:39 AM
wait, so Harpoon is out?

The Dad Fisherman
04-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Are you guys telling me that if thats all there will be at the Striperfest you'll all go dry? RIGHT ,sure you will:cheers2:

WOAH.....Thats just Crazy talk....I'll pretty much drink anything.

Old Milwaukee was my Go To beer in High School....unless I was Broke...then it was GIQ's of Black Label or a six of Red,White, And Blue.

Other Notables

Fort Schuyler
Kappy's
Quick Stop (think 7-11 having there own brand)

MarshCappa
04-29-2009, 11:51 AM
I always have it in my fridge. Along with some Cape Cod Red and IPA and Cisco's Whale's Tale. Gansett is smooth and easy to drink, perfect after cutting the grass or any other chore. For those who remember it being bad you probably drank the stuff that was brewed by Falstaff in the 80's. They have retained the last original brew master and the stuff is really good IMHO. I like it a lot better than Bud. I had the good fortune of meeting Mark Hellendrung on the Cape a couple of years ago and he is such a nice guy. He donated the beer at 2 of our open houses in Falmouth and it was a huge hit with well to do crowd that attended. Give it a try again sometime with an open mind. You'll be surprised.

http://www.narragansettbeer.com/showpage.aspx?pageId=74

ThomCat
04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
:grins: If it's good enough for Capt. Quint, it's good enough for you city boys thatta been countin' money all yer lives.
:fury:"Give 'em roooom, Brooody!!!!!"

The Dad Fisherman
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM
They have retained the last original brew master and the stuff is really good IMHO.

How Old is this guy.....the company was founded in 1888.

I think they are saying in that article that they brought on a former Brew-master.....not one of the originals. Now if this guy redid the recipe it may be better...but my memories of it are one Overly Carbonated flavorless beverage....not to say I still wouldn't drink it.....:hee:

And remember.....this guy was the brewmaster during the 70' and 80's so.....:huh:

You know what they say about American Beer its like Making Love in a Canoe.....

CaptMike
04-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I always have it in my fridge. Along with some Cape Cod Red and IPA and Cisco's Whale's Tale. Gansett is smooth and easy to drink, perfect after cutting the grass or any other chore. For those who remember it being bad you probably drank the stuff that was brewed by Falstaff in the 80's. They have retained the last original brew master and the stuff is really good IMHO. I like it a lot better than Bud. I had the good fortune of meeting Mark Hellendrung on the Cape a couple of years ago and he is such a nice guy. He donated the beer at 2 of our open houses in Falmouth and it was a huge hit with well to do crowd that attended. Give it a try again sometime with an open mind. You'll be surprised.

http://www.narragansettbeer.com/showpage.aspx?pageId=74

cape cod red and summer as well as the cisco beers are some of my favorites. You're right about gansett very smooth and ligth great thirst quencher when the weather's warm!

FishermanTim
04-29-2009, 05:08 PM
They'll have to add a new category to the Striperfest activities:

Who can spew the longest "chum-line".:yak:

Mike P
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
The Black Label we drank around here was brewed in Natick "on the shores of Lake Cochituate".

Both Gansett and Black Label were better than Knickerbocker, though.

The only time Gansett really went down well was around 7:15 AM after you just got off work on the graveyard shift. A couple of 25 cent drafts at Duffy's Bar in Pawtucket were the perfect nightcap. If you really wanted to wake up in a room that smelled like a sewer, you chased a pickeled egg down with a few quarter draft Gansetts :laugha:

Gotta love those bars that opened at 6 AM--if you ever wanted to see what hard core boozers looked like, it was like visiting the Smithsonian of Alkies.

Life's too short to drink cheap beer any more ;)

MarshCappa
04-29-2009, 08:54 PM
The Black Label we drank around here was brewed in Natick "on the shores of Lake Cochituate".

Both Gansett and Black Label were better than Knickerbocker, though.

The only time Gansett really went down well was around 7:15 AM after you just got off work on the graveyard shift. A couple of 25 cent drafts at Duffy's Bar in Pawtucket were the perfect nightcap. If you really wanted to wake up in a room that smelled like a sewer, you chased a pickeled egg down with a few quarter draft Gansetts :laugha:

Gotta love those bars that opened at 6 AM--if you ever wanted to see what hard core boozers looked like, it was like visiting the Smithsonian of Alkies.

Life's too short to drink cheap beer any more ;)

My Dad used to buy Black Label and Kinck all the time and I can remember sneaking a few and man they were bad. Knick had rice in the ingrediants and they boasted about that. The Black Label can had to be the coolest design ever. If I remember they had a red Canadian Maple leaf on it with a map of the world and red dots where I'm guessing were supposed Black Label markets. A real international gem!:spin: I never knew it was from Natick.:gu:

Redsoxticket
04-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Dawson beer plant in New Beige was nearly in my back yard. The aroma of the brew was pleasent along with Wonder bread being baked daily literally next door. The only way I would drink that beer was with a spoon of sugar
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Saltheart
04-30-2009, 09:26 AM
I visited the Carling Black Label brewery in Natick several times. They also had Red Cap ale which wasn't too bad.

Best brewery story I heard was from an old reformed street bum. He was a true bum , sleeping on the streets etc. He used to talk about a brewery in New Haven right next to Yale. He said there was a tap coming out the side of the brewery wall so that the truckers delivering the beer could fill up a mug on the way out from the loading docks. He said that the security guard had a deal with all the local bums. To keep them away when the bosses were around the deal was they could go to the truckers tap and drink all they wanted after like 4:30 PM for about a half hour. If he caught any near there during the day he would shut the tap off to them after work. He said the bums watched the place like hawks to be sure nobody went near it during the day.

Also , when the Narracansett Brewery was in RI , in addition to an hourly wage and some other benefits , every employee was allowed a certain number of beers each day free WHILE THEY WERE WORKING!!! They also got to take home a certain number each night. Apparently it was one of the most valued benefits of working in a brewery.

Some know that I am a long time brewer and almost opened a Microbrewery locally in 1987. I went to many breweries all over New England. Some tours were the best with every inch of the brewery covered and then a long time in the guests lounge for "tasting". Some were just a quick sweep through and into the lounge for just one or two tastes. Eventually some breweries started charging for a brewery tour. What a rip off!

Gansett had a strong larger taste. A larger is made with different yeast than an ale and to optimize the health of the yeast it is fermented about 10 degrees lower (or even much cooler sometime) than an ale. It imparts a very distinct taste. If you got gansett fresh and did not allow it to cycle warm then cold then warm , it had that distinct lager taste. I liked a Gansett ice cold after working in the summer heat or after golfing on a summer afternoon (at one point in my life I played golf several times each week) . I would pound one ice cold one down then nurse another.

Gansett was better when brewed in Cranston. Like almost all beers , its better fresh and the local brewery helped insure it was fresher than something coming in from Wisconson.

Mr. Sandman
04-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Nobody remembers oldies like Pabst, Schlitz, or Schmidts :err:?? That stuff makes Genesee and Naragansett look good :humpty:.

I remember as a kid (14 or so)when striper fishing with my dad and uncle and I asked for a beer one night. My dad handed me a Schmidts in one of the little brown bottles. OoohlyChrist that was bitter. I think that drove me away from drinking beer until I went to college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-140zPVFCY&feature=related

snake slinger
04-30-2009, 06:41 PM
salthart i know a older gent that worked at narragansett brewery and he told me about the free beer for employees he also told me that if he was having a party he could take home a few cases

Fish_Eye
05-01-2009, 04:15 AM
In these hard economic times why not bring back "Billy Beer" or generic "BEER"?

gf2020
05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
I was at UMass Amherst from 1984-1988. My buddies and I drank, in no particular order:

Narragansett - "Hi neighbor, have a 'Gansett!"
Piels - "A Real Drinking Man's Beer!"
Stroh’s
Schaefer - "The one beer to drink when you're drinking more than one!"
Carling’s Black Label - "People try it and they like it"
Fort Schuyler
Matt's beer ball
our favorite, however, was Ballantine - the 3 rings stand for Purity, Body, Flavor

I was in the band at UMass and I think I have a picture of me at practice one Friday evening with a Narragansett pounder in the bell of my saxophone. I wonder where that picture is?

Moron_Saxatilis
05-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I still have some beer trays from my grandfather. The Dr. Suess guy did the art for some of them. He used to have them in cases of quart bottles in these extremely strong cardboard boxes. Tried a sample from a pretty young woman in a liquor store a few years back.:yak5::yak5:

CaptMike
05-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I visited the Carling Black Label brewery in Natick several times. They also had Red Cap ale which wasn't too bad.

Best brewery story I heard was from an old reformed street bum. He was a true bum , sleeping on the streets etc. He used to talk about a brewery in New Haven right next to Yale. He said there was a tap coming out the side of the brewery wall so that the truckers delivering the beer could fill up a mug on the way out from the loading docks. He said that the security guard had a deal with all the local bums. To keep them away when the bosses were around the deal was they could go to the truckers tap and drink all they wanted after like 4:30 PM for about a half hour. If he caught any near there during the day he would shut the tap off to them after work. He said the bums watched the place like hawks to be sure nobody went near it during the day.

Also , when the Narracansett Brewery was in RI , in addition to an hourly wage and some other benefits , every employee was allowed a certain number of beers each day free WHILE THEY WERE WORKING!!! They also got to take home a certain number each night. Apparently it was one of the most valued benefits of working in a brewery.

Some know that I am a long time brewer and almost opened a Microbrewery locally in 1987. I went to many breweries all over New England. Some tours were the best with every inch of the brewery covered and then a long time in the guests lounge for "tasting". Some were just a quick sweep through and into the lounge for just one or two tastes. Eventually some breweries started charging for a brewery tour. What a rip off!

Gansett had a strong larger taste. A larger is made with different yeast than an ale and to optimize the health of the yeast it is fermented about 10 degrees lower (or even much cooler sometime) than an ale. It imparts a very distinct taste. If you got gansett fresh and did not allow it to cycle warm then cold then warm , it had that distinct lager taste. I liked a Gansett ice cold after working in the summer heat or after golfing on a summer afternoon (at one point in my life I played golf several times each week) . I would pound one ice cold one down then nurse another.

Gansett was better when brewed in Cranston. Like almost all beers , its better fresh and the local brewery helped insure it was fresher than something coming in from Wisconson.

I believe at the anheisuer-busch breweries they're allowed to drink beer during the day as long as they're not drunk. Has anyone found gansett in any container besides six packs of long necks or six packs of 16 oz cans?

CaptMike
05-04-2009, 08:23 AM
recently I mean. I can't find any twelve packs

RIROCKHOUND
05-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Beer snobs.
I drink Gansett and Gansett light; good on a hot day.
I like a stout if I'm having one or two, but if I was at a cook-out and had a choice between Guiness and Gansett on a hot day, I'm going gansett....

slow eddie
05-04-2009, 04:27 PM
6 gansett drafts and 3 pickled eggs were grounds for divorce.
also violated the pure food act.
also considered hazerdous waste

CaptMike
05-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Beer snobs.
I drink Gansett and Gansett light; good on a hot day.
I like a stout if I'm having one or two, but if I was at a cook-out and had a choice between Guiness and Gansett on a hot day, I'm going gansett....

I'm with you on that one. I'm not a huge beer drinker, more wine and rum but I definitely have some beers too. One thing I've noticed with the beer drinkers at least in the US is that there are so many people who want to consider themselves "beer afficionados" but know zero about even the most basic aspects of beer. For the most part they equate quality of beer to price. AKA gansett's cheap so it suck and guinness is relatively expensive so it's awesome. In the wine world there are some fantastic $10 bottles and some god awful $200 bottles and I think it's the same deal in the beer world just that people want to be thought of as knowledgeable about brew so they couldn't be seen drinking cheap beer. There are so many so called "craft or micro brews" that are just garbage beers and people love to pay $15 for a 4 pack it amazes me. I'm not going to say which ones I feel that way about because I don't want to further an arguement. Obviously more often than not more expensive beers are better tasting and drinking with more interest and complexity than cheap beers my point is that don't count out every cheap beer. The great thing about bad beer compared to badwine, scotch, rum etc is that bad beer tends to be very bland and watery but very drinkable which is inoffensive and boring where the others tend to be gut wrenching and horrible. Now this is just my observation so I'm not trying to start a big debate here. Just wanted to throw that out there feel free to throw it right back.

The Dad Fisherman
05-05-2009, 08:28 AM
My major Knock on Gansett is it is way too overcarbonated.

as far as Micro Brews......up until they came around all american beer pretty much tasted the same....subtle differences yeah, but they were all basically the same. You want to talk Beer Snobs, how about the guys that will drink a Bud religiously but turn there nose up at a Coors...give me a break, they are the friggin same thing.

Thanks to the Micro brew rage American beer now has Flavors...different Flavors from different breweries.

People now can Drink IPA's (my personal favorite) ESB's, Porters, Stouts, Heffeweizens, Lambics, Belgian Whites and Abbey Ales. Beers made from Wheat and Rye, Beers made with Honey, Maple Syrup, and Molasses, Beers with Flavors like Blueberry and Strawberry (Yeah, I know, Don't Fruit the Beer), Pumpkin (another of my Favorites), and different Spices.

I agree, there are plenty of people that think because they are expensive they are good....those are also the same people that buy Heineken.

Most people that spend money on Micro brew do so for the Flavor.

My Philosophy on why beers like Bud Light are so Popular is so someone can go "Dude, I kicked a Whole 30 last Night".......and don't get me wrong here either, I love an Ice Cold Bud that's just come out of the cooler, little beads of water and Ice crystals lazily sliding down the outside of the can, on a hot summer day when doing yardwork.

***Disclaimer*** No, I'm not a beer expert, But I did wake up on the floor of a Holiday Inn Express many times

JFigliuolo
05-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Yeah what TDF said... I HATE mass produced american beer, WHEN I'm sitting down to enjoy a beer or three... They are tasteless. My current Fave is BerkshireBrewingCo's Drayman Porter...TASTEY!

WHen it's hot out and I"m pulling out an ice cold beer from the cooler? Give me an MGD any day of the week.

fishbones
05-05-2009, 09:02 AM
You want to talk Beer Snobs, how about the guys that will drink a Bud religiously but turn there nose up at a Coors...give me a break, they are the friggin same thing.

I'm definitely not a beer expert, but I must be a beer snob. I can drink Bud Heavies (and enjoy them), but I can't drink a Coors Light (although Coors regular is o.k.). Coors Light to me just tastes bad. I also will choose Miller Lite over Bud Light any day of the week.

I have to get some Gansett on my next packie run. I had a sample of the Gansett Light at the RISSA show but it was too small and I drank it too fast to notice how it tasted.

CaptMike
05-05-2009, 09:50 AM
My major Knock on Gansett is it is way too overcarbonated.

as far as Micro Brews......up until they came around all american beer pretty much tasted the same....subtle differences yeah, but they were all basically the same. You want to talk Beer Snobs, how about the guys that will drink a Bud religiously but turn there nose up at a Coors...give me a break, they are the friggin same thing.

Thanks to the Micro brew rage American beer now has Flavors...different Flavors from different breweries.

People now can Drink IPA's (my personal favorite) ESB's, Porters, Stouts, Heffeweizens, Lambics, Belgian Whites and Abbey Ales. Beers made from Wheat and Rye, Beers made with Honey, Maple Syrup, and Molasses, Beers with Flavors like Blueberry and Strawberry (Yeah, I know, Don't Fruit the Beer), Pumpkin (another of my Favorites), and different Spices.

I agree, there are plenty of people that think because they are expensive they are good....those are also the same people that buy Heineken.

Most people that spend money on Micro brew do so for the Flavor.

My Philosophy on why beers like Bud Light are so Popular is so someone can go "Dude, I kicked a Whole 30 last Night".......and don't get me wrong here either, I love an Ice Cold Bud that's just come out of the cooler, little beads of water and Ice crystals lazily sliding down the outside of the can, on a hot summer day when doing yardwork.

***Disclaimer*** No, I'm not a beer expert, But I did wake up on the floor of a Holiday Inn Express many times

Your point about heineken is right on. as lightish lagers go a bud will beat that any day of the week. My point is that a lot of people love to buy some obscure beer made by elves in the vermont mountains or something and talk about how great it is when they wouldn't know the difference between good beer and soda. They just like the image of some sort of beer sophistication. I agree the mass marketed american lagers are pretty boring and the micro brew scene has brought a lot of new aspects to the american beer scene (particularly in the brewing process, regardless of the varietal). I was just pointing out that because a beer is expensive and made in small quantities does not make it good or even worth drinking. Gansett is far from a masterpiece but I would take it over a few of the bilgewater start up micros out there. On the other hand if you do your homework there are some amazing micros being made very locally and the breweries are a lot of fun to go visit.

ThomCat
05-05-2009, 10:16 AM

:rollem: :exp: So essentially what you're saying is that people who buy and drink Heinies have no flavor preferrences or taste and do so strictly because if it's expensive it's good. That's a pretty profound statement. By what insight do you profess to know what every beer drinker looks for and enjoys from his favorite brew. I was drinking and enjoying Heiniken when about half of these pretentious connesuers were still inside their daddy's _alls!!! :eek:And after 40 years I don't do it to impress, I like it .:hidin::cheers:

Cool Beans
05-05-2009, 10:23 AM
I used to drink Schmidt beer all the time in my early 20s and found Grumpy Bear and Rutting Elk Beers on a trip to Canada. All 3 taste a little rough, but I liked them because they had Fish, Elk and Bears on the labels... And Schmidt was $4.00 a 12 pack :cheers2:
I've drank beer from all over the world during my 20 in the navy and beer is a lot like.........http://www.jigzone.com/t/jz/isA/KittenYarn.jpg

"It's all good"

http://ohla.webpark.pl/schmidt_beer_21big_0355_usa.jpghttp://ohla.webpark.pl/schmidt_beer_07big_0355_usa.jpg
http://www.thegrizzlypaw.com/files/imagecache/drink-large/files/drink-images/grumpyProduct.jpg
http://www.thegrizzlypaw.com/files/imagecache/drink-large/files/drink-images/ruttingElkProduct.jpg

CaptMike
05-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I used to drink Schmidt beer all the time in my early 20s and found Grumpy Bear and Rutting Elk Beers on a trip to Canada. All 3 taste a little rough, but I liked them because they had Fish, Elk and Bears on the labels... And Schmidt was $4.00 a 12 pack :cheers2:
I've drank beer from all over the world during my 20 in the navy and beer is a lot like.........http://www.jigzone.com/t/jz/isA/KittenYarn.jpg

"It's all good"

http://ohla.webpark.pl/schmidt_beer_21big_0355_usa.jpghttp://ohla.webpark.pl/schmidt_beer_07big_0355_usa.jpg
http://www.thegrizzlypaw.com/files/imagecache/drink-large/files/drink-images/grumpyProduct.jpg
http://www.thegrizzlypaw.com/files/imagecache/drink-large/files/drink-images/ruttingElkProduct.jpg

those are some cool labels!

MarshCappa
05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Very cool labels! Beer is like p*&^%@$y I have issues with though. Just as there are skunky beers there are........well, enough said!:yak4:

The Dad Fisherman
05-05-2009, 10:43 AM
If you like heineken, Great...then by all means enjoy. that was the whole point of my argument.....now we have variety in beers instead of everything basically tasting the same.

Like I said I can enjoy pretty much any beer, under the right circumstances.....

:rollem: :exp: So essentially what you're saying is that people who buy and drink Heinies have no flavor preferrences or taste and do so strictly because if it's expensive it's good.

and I'm not saying everybody out there that drinks Heineken has no flavor preferences or taste.....I'm saying that there are a lot of people out there who buy it because they think it should taste better because its more expensive....and they do exist.

sorry if I offended the Heineken drinkers out there........

Cool Beans
05-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Very cool labels! Beer is like p*&^%@$y I have issues with though. Just as there are skunky beers there are........well, enough said!:yak4:

True, but even a skunky beer is better than "no beer"
same goes for the other :hihi:

The Dad Fisherman
05-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Skunky beer doesnt usually result in getting shots

RIJIMMY
05-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I guess Im a beer snob, nothing is better than Chimay or Cisco Brewery Moor Porter.

CaptMike
05-05-2009, 01:39 PM
I guess Im a beer snob, nothing is better than Chimay or Cisco Brewery Moor Porter.

I really like the cisco porter and sankaty light. I wish you could get them in more than 4 packs though:cheers2:

CaptMike
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM

actually I like the rum those guys make too. Or age not make.

Saltheart
05-11-2009, 12:47 AM
There is no sense in aguing or offending people about their taste in beer. No knowledge or cost or fancy names and commercials beats individual taste buds. If you like it , you like it even if millions hate it. A very old roman saying is degustibus non est disputandem...matters of taste cannot be disputed.

There are some outstanding beers out there now. A given brewery may make 8 varieties of crap but have one outstanding type. You never know until you taste it.
One of the big arts and sciences of beer making involves yeast. It can be approached from the point of view of a microbiologist or from the point of view of the artison brewer. Some places spend thousands on their yeast operations to get pure strains of a particular type. Lambics on the other hand were originally brewed (and many still are today) by brewing in buildings with big louvered windows on the ceilings to allow yeast from the surrounding lanscape to blow in with the wind. Yeast , hops grains and water are all imortant to beer. When I was big into beer competitions I would add 3 kinds of salt to my water. I did not add the salts for their own flavor as you might think. I added Gypsum , epsom and table salt to insure there were calcium , potasium and sodium ions available for the yeast. Healthy thriving yeast is essential to good brewing and these ions in the water are like vitamins for the yeast. Some very famous beers , bass ale for one, became famous because of a lucky mineral content of the water in the area where they were originally brewed.
Hops have a huge effect on the taste of beer. Different hops have totally different character. Also , with the same hops you can produce totally different flavors by when in the brewing process you add them. I used to import my hops from germany about 80 pounds at a time when I was brewing a lot. No better aroma hops exist than a particular type of german hops. After all the work and research, and expense to locate the best hops and have them shipped to the USA , you could totally waste all that effort by being off by just two minutes when you added them to the wort. Brewing is a great hobby. You can learn as much as your heart desires or you can brew great tasting beer with just a little knowledge and experience.
Bottom line its all about taste and that is a personal preference thing. There are no absolutely good or bad beers. Its only good or bad relative to your own taste preference. I once brewed a Porter that received perfect scores from all but one of the judges in a contest. One judge scored it one point below perfect. However , I know for a fact that half the people who drink nothing but American Rice beer like Bud would not like that porter at all.

In the immortal words of Ben Franklin....beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy. :)