View Full Version : plastics storage

gone fishin
04-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Has anyone come up with a way to store the plastic sluggos and other lures from getting sticky and clumping up in a plastic storage box? They are sticky and tough to handle after sitting for any length of time.

fcap60
04-29-2009, 12:11 PM
I keep similar colored sluggos in a zip lock bag. Further, I may keep several of the same color in a zip lock (or double bagged) with a few drops of bunker oil in the outstide refridgerator.

Joe
04-29-2009, 01:56 PM
If you put like colors in a 4mil plastic bag and you keep them cool, they store well for a long time. They don't like sitting the truck when it gets hot.

FishermanTim
04-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I've seen fresh water plastics (Mr. twisters for example) begin to break down when in contact with plastic bobbers.
Would this be similar to what you have experienced?

I have kept my slug-gos, rigged and unrigged, in the same cases I keep them in during the regular season, with no degrading of the plastic. The only thing that breaks down is the glue that I used on the hook shaft of the lead-head jigs.

wheresmy50
04-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Walmart zip-top gallon freezer bags. 40 for a couple of bucks. Like others said, like colors only unless you want your red/black sluggos to turn your white sluggos pink. Not that I've ever been foolish enough to allow this to happen.

Adam_777
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Put white and pink in a slot together.When they mate you'll have good bait.

BillM
04-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Put them in the microwave for 3 minutes - Mmmm Sluggos : )

Sea Flat
04-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Use Hogy's. The colors won't bleed, they don't smell like kerosine and mine are all fine after a long winter hanging out in my Plano box.

Good Luck

JohnnyD
04-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Use Hogy's. The colors won't bleed, they don't smell like kerosine and mine are all fine after a long winter hanging out in my Plano box.

Good Luck

Hogy's are extremely nice.

But way too expensive for me in our Bluefish-filled waters.

Sea Flat
05-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Hogy's are extremely nice.

But way too expensive for me in our Bluefish-filled waters.

I understand, but to me you get what you pay for. If I know I am fishing in a spot that I will be more apt to get a bluefish than a bass I will definitely switch to a plug or metal. However, this early in the season I do not think this is a concern.

I always find it funny that people are willing to spend the extra $$ on a nice Rm Smith or Afterhours plug, but then when it comes to soft plastics they go for the cheapos. Plus, the bigger size Hogy's are actually cheaper than Sluggos. And if you factor in the ease in which you can reuse the tandem rig the saved time and work makes the Hogy's more than worth it to me.

Good Luck out there.

BillM
05-04-2009, 01:25 PM
I tried Hogies last season but I didn't think they had as good action as sluggos, I would like to try the shorter stubby ones though.