View Full Version : Obama disowns deficit he helped shape

keeperreaper
04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_fact_check_obama

Good read.

striperman36
04-29-2009, 05:57 PM
should we all move to another country or something?

spence
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
I'd agree that Obama is spinning things a bit here, but people can't have it both ways.

Regardless if it was a Dem controlled congress the past two years it was Bush who held the VETO pen and could have stopped spending had he wished. Even if Obama did vote for some of this spending Bush still was in charge if you take the "buck stops here" attitude.

And as I've mentioned before, Obama did inherit a 400B+ deficit made much worse by the TARP and the acquisition of Freddie and Fannie...all led by the Bush Treasury department.

Additionally the recession (which began long before Obama) has reduced tax revenues by hundreds of billions, increased Federal spending for insurance and aid, and (granted this is arguable) required stimulus spending.

In summary...

So could have Obama made the current deficit smaller had he wished? Yes he could.

So would the current deficit still be dramatically larger than the previous years regardless of what Obama would do? Yes, it would.

-spence

Bronko
04-29-2009, 06:28 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_fact_check_obama

Good read.

Ouch.:btu:

justplugit
04-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Ya well he did inherit a 1.3 trillion dollar defecit, but to increase it almost 10 fold in
100 days is a bit much, imho.

spence
04-30-2009, 05:33 AM
Ya well he did inherit a 1.3 trillion dollar defecit, but to increase it almost 10 fold in
100 days is a bit much, imho.
Huh? :confused:

-spence

EarnedStripes44
04-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Deficits dont matter, isnt that what Reagan taught us

justplugit
04-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Huh? :confused:

-spence

CBS NEWS

CBS NEWS POLITICAL HOT SHEET March 17, 2009 4:30 pm

"National Debt Hits Eleven Trillion"

JohnnyD
04-30-2009, 10:14 AM
CBS NEWS

CBS NEWS POLITICAL HOT SHEET March 17, 2009 4:30 pm

"National Debt Hits Eleven Trillion"

Deficit is not the same as Debt.

The US budget is $3.5 trillion, last year was $3.1 trillion. Even the Democrats can't spend $10 trillion.... yet.

justplugit
04-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Deficit is not the same as Debt.

The US budget is $3.5 trillion, last year was $3.1 trillion. Even the Democrats can't spend $10 trillion.... yet.

My bad JD. Obama just quaddrupled the deficit.

spence
04-30-2009, 10:42 AM
My bad JD. Obama just quaddrupled the deficit.

Well, technically speaking he didn't. Read my post above...

-spence

buckman
04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Mark my words. You think it's out of control now. Wait until he rushes National Health Care through under the disguise of the The Swine Flu crisis. It will happen, another big emergency that we have to over respond to because of Bush. Another imperfect Bill that no one had time to read. Oh, what the hell, He's trying

RIJIMMY
04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
bman is right on.
This swine flu threat is another liberal wet dream

JohnnyD
04-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Mark my words. You think it's out of control now. Wait until he rushes National Health Care through under the disguise of the The Swine Flu crisis. It will happen, another big emergency that we have to over respond to because of Bush. Another imperfect Bill that no one had time to read. Oh, what the hell, He's trying

I hope you're sitting down.

I somewhat agree - in principle, not specifics though.

I'm concerned this situation (which I believe is being blown way out of proportion) will present the opportunity for *Congress* to push through some garbage legislation. I hope it doesn't happen, but we will only see.

I certainly do not like that the first death in the US was a Mexican; I hope it doesn't set a precedent for there to be more boarder jumpers. One major issue I the Dems and I disagree on is providing free health care to non-US citizens. Last thing we need are a bunch of illegals coming to this country to get top-rate care on my dime.

The response should be:
"You don't have any identification and cannot speak English? I'm sorry but you'll have to wait until everyone else is taken care of first."