View Full Version : Fly line backing

chubby
04-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Any reports on using Power Pro type braid as fly line backing, if so what pound test would I use for my 9wt.:topic::topic::hee::hee:

bonefishdick
04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm sure you could do it, but I'm not sure why you would want too.

Granted you could get a ton of it on the reel for backing and I guess you would want to stay within the 20 to 30 pound range as with dacron.

If you went to something the same diameter as dacron to prevent your finger from being sliced up would probably cost you a small fortune.

If you want to go a smaller Mid or Large Arbor reel then I could see the benefit of using it.

The best teacher is experience and is usually better than one opinion over another. I would say try it and see if it works for you, I tried the Gel-spun for awhile but ended up going back to good old Dacron and have no regrets in doing that. That's the closest I came to using something thin like Power-Pro.

chubby
04-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Thanks,
As far as chopping my fingers up, I doubt I'll get that far. I am a transplant from the surf scene and am still learing. The thing is, I have plenty of briad and don't "right now" want to pay the "flyfishing" price and I'm still stuck on doing things myself-right or wrong (as it seems to be). When I'm through wrapping line around my head I'll try it.

chubby
04-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Any reports on using Power Pro type braid as fly line backing, if so what pound test would I use for my 9wt.:topic::topic::hee::hee:

Boredome is anger without enthuiasm

likwid
04-30-2009, 07:12 AM

50 or 65lb
It works well as backing.
Sufix also handles nicely.

Roger
04-30-2009, 09:31 AM
I use GsP at about 40-50# on a bunch of my fly reels. Mainly, it's to get enough backing on some reels that I may use for bonefish or tuna. If you've got it, use it - no sense it letting it waste.

CaptMike
05-04-2009, 08:29 AM
You could definitely do it. Braided dacron backing is pretty cheap though

FishermanTim
05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I use leftover ice fishing line, 20lb. test.