View Full Version : Shellfishing....

Striper SniperX
01-16-2003, 05:04 PM
Just got my Application in today for my commercial shellfishing licence... ($50 for JR permit)

I have a nice Rake that i plan to wade out and dig with, untill i get the boat up and running..

Where is good beach/spot to start out? when is the best time to give it a shot? Tides?

Not going to dig out all the 'Hogs in RI, don't worry.

How Much are quahogs selling for a piece or a Bag worth today?

Plan to use this cash to buy myself that custom rod ;)

ANY TIPS/COMMENTS WANTED

-mike

Clammer
01-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Mike, I<ll sell you 5 rakes cheap==========$125.00

not many places to stick dig without a boat to get to the places
E/G management when its open & Bissel Cove the same , plus the salt ponds, Tough to stick dig in the winter

Good luck ??????????????????///////

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Striper SniperX
01-16-2003, 10:41 PM
thanks clam, i knew you would be the man to ask :)

I'm not digging right now, but you must apply for the permit before the end of Febuary......when do you think the waters will be 4giving enuff to start picking from shore? i have neoprene waders so i can start early.

i currently have a clam-rake,,, when i get my boat up and running and hooked up with rake holders i would like to buy 1 or 2 of them rakes off you,,, they come with the stale? how many foot?

Most likely (when it's calm--in the upper bay) I will use my boat to get to the spots and beach it (only 15')

i know a few years ago i was digging at Goddard Park and got a bag of hogs/surf clams by hand,, is this place still fishable or did all the weekenders fish it out?

any nearby places to warwick you could reccomend,,if you don't want 100 people there, PM me and i will keep them secret ;)

ANY tips for surf quahogging would be appreciated... i know i talked to Tattoo a while ago about this,,, any tips?

thanks alot,
Mike

Clammer
01-16-2003, 10:49 PM
THey start to come up in MAY , some bottoms are so hard you can,t pull the rake thru
only place I know you can get some in Warwick /without a boat is the east side of the channel ==out of Warwick cove/ few oysters there also==just make sure its open//////

Striper SniperX
01-16-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by clamdigger
is the east side of the channel ==out of Warwick cove/ few oysters there also==just make sure its open//////

Meaning off of warwick neck,,, over near Capt'ns Catch ,,(Formaly "Doores Dock" where they sell the q-hogs/clams ?)
What about Conimicut? went there late October and piked up a few....

Gravel is rocky as hell over there tho,,, almost bent the teeth on my rake over there...... Going to buy an extra toothing kit and keep it in the truck just incase.

please keep them tips coming,,, i appreciate it!

I heard tides make a differance? obviously lowtide they are EZer to get at, but are they still catchable at HIGH tides?

-Mike

Striper SniperX
01-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Almost 4got..

I notice you are selling bullrakes and your boat, are you upgrading or you all done shellfishing ??

How much are normal quahogs (not clams) going for a crowned over filled 5 gallon bucket (onion sack worth) ??

How much a Piece?

Just looking for an extra Summer job to make some extra cash :D

of course i will be keeping a rod w/ sitting bait while clamming,, ya never know :)

thanks alot,
Mike........

Clammer
01-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Boats gone,stales gone ,just rakes left

thats the place

chowders .20 p/p necks they are paying different prices for different sizes ,keeps changing dependong on what areas are open

Striper SniperX
01-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by clamdigger
Boats gone,stales gone ,just rakes left

thats the place

chowders .20 p/p necks they are paying different prices for different sizes ,keeps changing dependong on what areas are open

You have any beach picking clam rakes? About 5' handle??

i know USUALLY the smaller the more you get for them, but that only applys to bay quahogs...i think.

Does Dockside Sea-food still buy them quahogs off ya???

I'll be sure to check that place out, i remember diggen there about 2 years ago.

you think goddard park is still quahog-able ? :D

Anyone else Shellfish in here (tattoo, where are ya? i need your help :D )

thanks guys,
Mike

Striper SniperX
01-17-2003, 04:21 PM
clamdigger,
ya sold your boat- stales and selling rakes...

Are you all done shellfishing or are you just buying new gear ?
hope everything's alright :confused:

-Mike

Clammer
01-17-2003, 06:44 PM
things are good ,new boat in the water last Sunday .nows it in the ice, more fishing ,but i,ll still dig, fill orders,etc, I have a stick setup but I,m holding on to it, when your ready i,ll give you the name & number of the person in Warwick that we buy our gear from////
Bay QUahogs is about all your going to get or want

there is product at Goddard park just make sure its oped tp digging M_W_F 8-12 when there is no rain closure up until sometil in April, then it will close until december

Dockside only buys from a few select diggers//////////

Tattoo
01-17-2003, 07:36 PM
I'm not digging right now, but you must apply for the permit before the end of Febuary

Striper SniperX,

You might want to re-read the DEM website, or call them on the phone. Yes you can get a license / permit. BUT it's restricted if your anew guy. NO Hogs, or softshell clams. Restrictions on the Fin-Fish and Lobsters as well.

In other words if your a new guy trying to get in, you are going to have to work your a$$ off in order to make any money. How much do you think you can sell muscles for????

Been down this road already.

Clammer
01-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Tatoo Never been any real market for them in RI ==BIG in NY
when we sold them //it was //is// to baitshops for Tautog chum
R E A L cheap//////////////////

Tattoo
01-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Mike,

Exactlly! From the times I have called DEM and talked to them, it's kind of like yeah we will let you harvest some shellfish, the ones you can't make any money with. Maybe after a few years the license program will change and the "new" guys who have had them for 5 years and remained active will get to bump up and harvest hogs and steamers. Just guessing on that one, but after reading all the stuff on there web site, if your a new guy don't plan to feed the family with shellfish or finfish.

Striper SniperX
01-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Tattoo, not to be rude... but i think YOU should take another look at the website... They have new regulations for 2003.

WHAT YOU SAID HAS ALOT OF TRUTH TO IT, BUT SOME OF THAT INFO IS WRONG...

here's what the paper in front of me says (my application):

"NEW RESIDENT LICENCES-2003"
*any RI resident may apply for and obtain a NEW commerial licence (shellfish(q-hog only) OR non-q-hog) ,finfish,non lobster crustation) new licences will be immediately availible upon application.

*Students who are residents and 23 yrs of age or younger may also apply to obtain a NEW student shellfish licence.
*Residents 65 or older may also apply 4 & obtain a over 64 shellfish licence.

"WHEN & HOW TO APPLY"
New licences and indorsments for 2003 will be availble between 1/1/03 and 2/28/03. Applications may be made in person at the DEM office or Via Mail no later then Feb. 28 2003.

They are open for licence applications Only untill the end of FEB so if you want one, go for it right now- Don't talk to them on the phone cause they give you the run around, order the application thru the mail... use the "contact us" LINK on the site and click on the email link for "office of fishing/boating licences"

i am 16 so i am a student applicant, meaning i pay $50. and can harvest quahogs

they have a NON-quahog permit for ($25.) availble,,but quahogs is all i want.

you are right, there is many restrictions, but now is the time to get in there- if you want :)

i have an extra application if you want it... or just order one from the DEM site.

i have a 6' wood handle/ S/S reinforced center bar. Stadard size rake, teeth bend easy tho, would like to get longer/stronger teeth.

as far as my application

Just sent mine in today, Good for One Year.

Tattoo, Muscles ARE so comon i wouldn't depend on them, the cash you get for a peck of them isn't even worth the work! same thing with steamers, all the weekend beach goers lift rocks and dig all them bad boys out... they don't travel very far. few feet in it's whole life.

please keep tips/spots coming.

Good Luck,
Mike

Scotch Bonnet
01-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Oysters are the way to go. The kid who supplies my neighbors company is rollin in the $$$.

Clammer
01-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Scotch , are they wild or farmed oysters ??

THey are getting around .40 each up here , but not many around, the divers have some spots/////////////

Striper SniperX
01-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Grrrrr. I'd like to "Accidently" drop my clam rake teeth on one of them Damn Clam stealing Scuba Divers :D ;) <joking> <hope fisheye don't see that...you don't steal clamz do ya ?> :D

Tattoo, have you been Clamming yet or ya looking to get into it? i'm not the most knolagble shellfisherman out there, so please keep them tips/times/spots coming :D

My uncle is a big shellfisherman out of wariwck cove., but he really don't know much about shore pickin'.....he sells to captn's catch (Doores Dock) when i talk to him next time i will ask him what clams and hogs are going for over at Captn's catch seafood.. anyone know?

Anyone know where i can sell my catch to begining this late spring once the ground isn't like concrete.....

thanks alot ,

Mike

:smash:

Striper SniperX
01-18-2003, 02:58 AM
Look what i dug up :D

who's that dude? :eek5:

beatiful boat if i may add.... :D

Striper SniperX
01-18-2003, 03:08 AM
Seriously- This is My weapon of choice :D

heated dog-house too :eek5:

Tattoo
01-18-2003, 06:16 AM
Ok,

Lets go over this again.

"Any Rhode Island may apply for and obtain a new Commercial Fishing License. Three endorsements on that license - non-lobster crusacean, non quahaug shellfish, non-restricted finfish - will be immediately available upon application. A fourth endorsement - lobster - will be issued in March to fifty applicants, prioritized set forth by the criteria set forth below."

So this means you can get a license, but you have to select which endorsement you want. They all have restrictions on what you can harvest. Non Quahaug allows you to harvest mussles, oysters, sea clams. Non finfish allows you to harvest bluesfish and weakfish, and non-lobster allows you to harvest bluecrabs. There may be a few more items in each category, but those are the "big" money items for the new guys coming on.

IF you are a student you can harvest quahaugs, I'm not.

I've read all the stuff on the web site and talked to them on the phone. The information they provide is somewhat confusing and mis-leading on the web site.

StriperSniperX, you can rest assure that I did my homework on this.

Clammer, I know a spot I could fill a five gallon buck of oysters in about ten minutes. Might have to go for a ride and double check that.

Striper SniperX
01-18-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Tattoo

IF you are a student you can harvest quahaugs, I'm not.

I see, well that's what i meant... :D

they also have a over 64 permit, but yer not that old yet are ya?
don't think i would have enuff energy to haul up a rake if i was 65+ , LOL

I've read all the stuff on the web site and talked to them on the phone. The information they provide is somewhat confusing and mis-leading on the web site.

i agree, i had my parents talk to them on the phone, the people on the phone give you the run around to, but not as much.

StriperSniperX, you can rest assure that I did my homework on this.

Woah, Put that Bat down slowly please, <kidding> Dude, Did i ever say i was doubting ya? You and i talked about this licence thing in october thru PM.....I know you know. :smash: That's why i asked you, you know your stuff....so does clamdigger.

I also did my fill of homework, ALOT of emails and phone calls.

So are you getting the commercial permit still, tattoo? theres good money in the other clams as well.

Clammer, I know a spot I could fill a five gallon buck of oysters in about ten minutes. Might have to go for a ride and double check that.

:D ..... fill me in on that spot will ya ;)
Think I KNOW were that place is, i'll be quite...:D

Thanks guys, please keep the spots/tips coming.... Not asking for secret spots, just a place i can fill a bag of all day digging.
How about BRUSHNECK Cove or Buttonwoods cove? not the cleanest but looks like some clam filled sand :D

Pick up a copy of the Marine Fisherys abstract pamplet, tells you all the min. sizes , maxium sale take- etc...

P.S. what do ya think of that boat, Decked out for shellfishin?
I wonder who's beatiful 21 Romarine that is :D :D i know it rides quite nice :D

thanks,

Mike

Tattoo
01-18-2003, 06:50 AM
StriperSniper,

What clams listed in the non-hog permit can you make any money at ? It's amost not worth the time. I can make more money turing wood.

Striper SniperX
01-18-2003, 07:04 AM
hey,
i hear ya... when are they giving the new adults a shot at it?

Oysters sell for nice money; but are hard to get(most of the time) and they have a more limited season.....right?

if your claim for this 5 gallon bucket in 10 mins is true, you should find a way to grab some kind of permit to sell them bad boys....(ya might even find a pearl worth a couple of thousand :D)

I must say, in Fish_Eye's presentation you almost looked a pro... :D good job, great fish.

P.S. tattoo, when is that next batch of them nice plugs of yours coming out (if any?) i'd like to be on that list, NOT kidding around. seriously, them things catch fish :D

mike

Scotch Bonnet
01-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Clammer, those are wild oysters. AM sells more than 50 varieties of oysters from all over and they have farms off Prudence I. and Block I. They have 1 guy supplying them with wild oysters from Narragansett Bay. $$$$$

bloocrab
01-18-2003, 09:46 AM
Kissing Cousins!!!! :eek: :laughs:

Clammer
01-18-2003, 10:05 AM
YWa ,Scotch, we had a great set, but thet knocked the @#$% out of them , and for sure =got paid low because of the typical thought of catch,catch & catch somemore ===over supply
even in Salt Pond if you did near the oyster barge[Farm} you don,t see ant spat , or even a few legals that may have fallen free///
THings will never change in the fishing industry because of the way its controlled & the thinking of many of the fisherman//
never mind [what you don,t know won,t hurt you//]

Scotch Bonnet
01-18-2003, 10:45 AM
Mike, atleast the government hasn't put the black box on your boat yet to see where you fish.

Clammer
01-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Amen/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@