View Full Version : Ticks everywhere

striperman36
05-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Took the dogs off road past the airport, pulled 2 ticks off me, 5 off the sheperd, the little one havent gotten to yet.
Bet careful, they're all over.

striperman36
05-03-2009, 11:20 AM
2 more off eme

JohnnyD
05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I've noticed that it's been pretty ridiculous. Seems worse than past years.

striperman36
05-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Don't know why it seems pretty bad, found 2 more on the corgi.
I won't walk over there any more, stay on the paved walk.

spence
05-03-2009, 03:37 PM
I pulled three of of me the other day. Perhaps it's the time of year, a lot of rain and most people aren't keeping their grass mowed very well.

My wife's cat comes in and is loaded with ticks. She of course thinks it's fine for the thing to sleep on my bed.

-spence

striperman36
05-03-2009, 03:43 PM
It's Bush's fault.

PNG
05-03-2009, 05:28 PM
32 so far. I hate ticks

striperman36
05-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Cape too?

PNG
05-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Cape too?

infested

Mike P
05-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Cape too?

Tick heaven :wall:

MrHunters
05-05-2009, 08:23 PM
ive stopped counting. every year is worse than the last.

nasty lil creepy crawlies... and thats the worst too... after you pull a couple off... you "feel" them on you for the next few days!

MarshCappa
05-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I got a cat that is always out but I haven't seen any on him yet. We use some thing we inject on him but haven't done yet this spring.

fishbones
04-04-2010, 10:36 PM
It's starting already. My 5 y.o. son tells me to feel the back of his head tonight because he thinks he has a mosquito bite. Turns out it's a tick, which fortunately had not embedded itself into his skin yet. I pulled it out of his hair and gave him the once over twice and there were no more. Make sure you check your pets and yourselves.

Mike P
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
My dogs came home from a walk in the woods covered with them on Friday. All deer ticks. 2 of the 3 of them have already been treated once for Lyme. We went over them carefully and among the three, there had to be over 20 of the little bastards.

They're overdue for the next treatment of Frontline.

RIJIMMY
04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
great! been rolling around in the lawn with the kids all weekend!

fishbones
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
great! been rolling around in the lawn with the kids all weekend!

We were in Mansfield all day yesterday, so I'm pretty sure that's where it got on him. You should definitely check the kids good tonight. We were only about 1/4 mile from MCC at my wife's brothers house, so I'm checking the little guy every day since they spend so much time outside there.

WESTPORTMAFIA
04-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I pulled 1 off of me and the dog last week. But haven't pulled any out of my skin YET!

Karl F
04-05-2010, 07:42 PM
http://www.adamsfleacontrol.com/prod_images/AdamsF&Tmist_s.jpg

:uhuh:

this warm weather has them blooming like mad..

had great results with this product.

Mike P
04-05-2010, 08:10 PM
The deer ticks are so tiny that they're hard to find on a long-haired dog until they've become engorged--and by that time, if they're carrying Lyme, they've already infected the animal.

The whole idea of Frontline is that it kills them as soon as they start s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g blood---they remain attached. The good thing is that they don't drop off the dog and find their way onto you before they attach.

striperman36
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
The deer ticks are so tiny that they're hard to find on a long-haired dog until they've become engorged--and by that time, if they're carrying Lyme, they've already infected the animal.

The whole idea of Frontline is that it kills them as soon as they start s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g blood---they remain attached. The good thing is that they don't drop off the dog and find their way onto you before they attach.

did not know that, i though frontline was a repellent. found a dead engorged one on the corgi, was concerned.

Mike P
04-06-2010, 09:58 PM
did not know that, i though frontline was a repellent. found a dead engorged one on the corgi, was concerned.

It's absorbed through the dog's skin into the bloodstream, and it kills the tick when they start drawing blood. A deer tick has to be attached for 12-24 hours before it can pass on the Lyme virus. If it was a repellent you'd have to put it all over the dog's coat. You just put the little dab in the packet on the back of the dog's neck where it can't lick it off.

It's actually a pesticide, not a repellent.

Raven
04-07-2010, 03:39 AM
Since my my dingo comes literally unglued
when ever the phone rings

we had to do something a bit different

we bought a sonic dog trainer gizmo @ petco
you push the button and it emits a shrill sound
that only a dog can hear....

better than a leash for saying
"stay the fok outta there.."

yesterday
the neighbors dog was eating grass outside my closed
cellar window ok
so i pushed the button and it sent him right on home

the thing works awesome

Joe
04-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Wearing white leotards makes finding them easier.

Raven
04-10-2010, 01:59 AM
just pulled one off of me -> bastards

I was pulling up irrigation hose recently :confused:

time to buy some grey sweats

instead of wearing blue jeans :doh:

basswipe
04-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Gonna be a tough year.I started the boys on their frontline and heartgard on the 1st.

Squitos are already swarming too.

Raven
04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
there's a plant that repels ticks that i am looking for
and i'll cultivate it on a commercial basis.

i read about it and thought... BINGO! :think:
i'll plant thousands
since i'll have no chickens around here.

striperman36
04-10-2010, 01:56 PM
hemp

spence
04-10-2010, 05:35 PM
My wife's cat drives me nuts. He's an indoor/outdoor cat and she insists on letting him in where he promptly moves to sleep on our bed.

Of course cats are pretty clean, so the first thing he does is pull all the ticks of of him...and throws them on our bed.

This doesn't make me happy.

-spence

reebok
04-10-2010, 07:04 PM
How long do they live in your clothes? Will they get you the next time you put your coat on if there's some on it, or will they be dead soon?

Mike P
04-10-2010, 07:06 PM
How long do they live in your clothes? Will they get you the next time you put your coat on if there's some on it, or will they be dead soon?

Throw your clothes in the dryer and run it for about 40 minutes on high heat---they claim it works like a charm.

reebok
04-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Throw your clothes in the dryer and run it for about 40 minutes on high heat---they claim it works like a charm.

Good idea, thanks.

Karl F
04-10-2010, 07:37 PM

Frontline and my dog..do not get along...
know of a few other dogs that can't tolerate it either.. especially those prone to seizures.

I do use the topical Revolution, for Heartworm as well, also have a Prevent-tic collar on her, similar, the ticks that do "bite in" die and fall off, if I don't find them first.... covers her needs most of the time.. when the ticks bloom like they have with the warmer days.. a misting of the Adam's works like magic.. they do not even get on her at all..
Adam's has a bit of an aromoa to it, not unpleasant, but def. chemical..
and works like a charm

there's a plant that repels ticks that i am looking for
and i'll cultivate it on a commercial basis.

i read about it and thought... BINGO! :think:
i'll plant thousands
since i'll have no chickens around here.

keep guinea hens..they eat ticks....
friend of mine had some, and his property was tick free...
but them is some nasty hens!

Raven
04-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Pennyroyal a member of the mint family repels them bigtime
and you can buy the oil and put it on say a bandana
to protect the Dogs upper neck area where they cannot scratch
as a natural alternative not to mention adding brewers yeast
to there food to thwart mosquitos too =same as for humans=
because the taste of the B-1 vitamin turms them right off.

but this was a totally different plant ....
i will get back to this thread once i rediscover it

unpacking is fun in that sense.

striperman36
04-11-2010, 09:13 AM
My wife's cat drives me nuts. He's an indoor/outdoor cat and she insists on letting him in where he promptly moves to sleep on our bed.

Of course cats are pretty clean, so the first thing he does is pull all the ticks of of him...and throws them on our bed.

This doesn't make me happy.

-spence

put the cat in the dryer for about 40 min on high

Raven
04-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Barn cat chased a mouse down to the new cellar last night

and i said cool.... he's doing his JOB!

but as far as Sleeping i kicked him off the bed
four times last night with-out Mercy....
Because....
i set up a second KING SIZED Bed of his own
in the second floor area
and thats where he will be sleeping

FOREVER :uhuh:

Raven
03-10-2011, 05:12 PM
i will re-establish the no pets in the bed room RULE
and after reading this latest article on tick born diseases
even worse than LIME disease

i'll be looking at many OTHER tick prevention strategies

when you have time read about this horror show.....
IF nothing else "SAVE IT" for your spouse to read
if they question your decision or OBJECT to it entirely.

strictly due to tick bites
and i've already been bitten this week.
3-8-11

Under-the-radar tick diseases spreading across U.S. - Health - Infectious diseases - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41973641/ns/health-infectious_diseases/)