View Full Version : Some of my weird squid bucktails

Mr. Sandman
05-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Two winters ago I started fiddling with a new bucktail design. Making molds and testing. I mentioned it here a couple times but didn't want to talk about it until I was further along with it. I wanted something that casts well and I had more control at slow speeds with regard to distance off the bottom. I know you can change sizes and retrieve speeds and adding trailers but I tend to need the heavier bucktails (to cut the wind) most of the time and end up with having to reel faster than I want the bucktail or add crap to it to not snag constantly on the bottom. Also I wanted a buck tail I can fish among boulders.

OK, my objective was a 3-4 oz bucktail that is designed to be cast from the beach and worked horizontally, not vertically...and has better depth control (and looks more like a squid). After 3 or 4 failures of stuff that didn't work exactly like I had hoped I am closer to a neat new design. I have caught a few fish with it early last season but I got so involved with plugs I had to put these down. I plan to fish them again this year and make some minor adjustments before finializing my mold.

The bucktail is suppose to have a squid like look to it. The bulk of the weight is in the rear of this lure where it is thicker,(for casting distance). However this also creates a nose up (ass down) angle on retrieve. I was looking to generate this angle as well because I have a plastic "mantle" wing mounted on top of the bucktail that sees an angle of attack and creates lift. For now I make 3 different sized mantles, but use the smaller and middle size the most. What this does it allows the bucktail to cast well, sink fast and upon retrieve glide just off the bottom WITH A SLOW speed. They are very stable and all the weight hangs is carried by mantle. The large mantle allows a near surface retrieve with a slow speed. To be honest I only really need one wing, the small one is enough. The wing makes depth control much more sensitive to retrieve speed. The hook is a 9/0 stainless steel job that is embedded in the lead, the eye is a heavy ss loooooong eye that goes well into the body. I have not been able to rip either out, even in a vice. The nylon hair is reverse tied to allows for streamline casting and a big parachute presentation on retrieve. I have done several different materials, I like the nylon the best for this.

I know they look weird but whatdoyouthink about the "flying bucktail" concept?
The first photo shows the jig in casting mode (top) and retrieve mode (bottom)

Mr. Sandman
05-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Here is a photo of the mantles and the underside of the jig body, it is has most of its mass aft and low.

RIROCKHOUND
05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I dig it.
I'll PM my address :D

brianenos80
05-04-2009, 06:08 PM
look good! I always like something new and different

RIROCKHOUND
05-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Jim; in all seriousness, I had bought some poly-foam jigs that I used in the surf until I lost them, did OK, so your onto something!

Mr. Sandman
05-05-2009, 08:53 AM
I am embarrested to tell you how much time I have invested in these. I have a box full of duds and "scrap" prototypes and the lead and tin that will be ( and have been) remelted. (photo of a few test jigs below)
I typically like to put things down for while after I get it working somewhat close to what I like and come back to it some time later and revisit it.
I typically make a wood master, creat a mold and pour lead. The mantals are plasitc.
I got it flying the way I want now and just need to tune it and remake a final mold. I probably will not get to that until next winter. I want to have a custom aluminum mold machined for this when I am done....then I can crank them out and give a few away. Right now I only have about a dozen made. They are not intended to be perfect looking, they are still in the proof-of-concept mode.

I get the strangest looks on the beach when someone sees this in my line. Typcial response WTH is that? Not to mention the looks I get in mid winter when I am in the harbor casting a test lure. One guy pulled up in Feburary and said..."Man! you got it bad!" But like many of you I have a "spot" in mind to fish this and when it works...its a thing of beauty.

stripercrazy
05-15-2009, 10:57 PM
good to see someone doing something different and testing and changing as they go...nice:cheers:

numbskull
05-16-2009, 05:28 AM
I think the guys on LI would kill for those. Very cool.

chumbucket
06-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Very interesting and original concept Mr.Sandman.
Keep up the great work.:btu:

Mr. Sandman
06-21-2009, 01:57 PM
CB,

Coming from you that is a real compliment...thanks.

They work OK now but need a little more tweaking. Next year I'll have it down. It's on the back burner right now.

Slipknot
06-23-2009, 07:11 AM
How do they cast?
I think they'd be good in the canal too when the squid are around or not even around. Lookin' good Jim.