View Full Version : Dogfish protest T-shirts

MakoMike
05-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm trying to organize the purchase of a bunch of custom T-shirts to protest the way NMFS is handling the dogfish population. I'm not making anything off these shirts, just trying to get them into the hands of fishermen who can wear them in places where they might make a difference. Right now I'm guessing that the shirts will cost somewhere between $10 and $15. If you are interested reply back with the number of shirts you want and the sizes. Sizes will range from XXL to small. We can make payment arrangements later once we get final numbers. This is an idea of what the shirts will look like, though we may have to convert the images from photos to line art.

CaptMike
05-05-2009, 09:58 AM
I guess I'm not familiar enough with the situation. What is it that you're protesting specifically? That there are too many?

MakoMike
05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
I guess I'm not familiar enough with the situation. What is it that you're protesting specifically? That there are too many?

Yes, they are overrunning the ocean and eating everything in it.

Plum Crazy
05-05-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't understand how that shirt makes a statement.
It seems like you are trying to save the dogfish.
Am I missing something?
Make sure you aren't breaking any copyright laws by using those logos.:hs:

MarshCappa
05-05-2009, 10:42 AM
The concept is good but the shirt doesn't nail it home with someone unfamilar with the cause. I am sure the creative members here could come up with some graphics that would get the point accross. Raven?!:uhuh:

MakoMike
05-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Am I missing something?

The logos belong to the U.S. government and are therefore in the public domain. It's meant to be a kind of tongue in cheek statement which I think will go over better with the general public than a simple "kill all the dogfish" statement. I don't think there is much doubt that the folks from NMFS will get the point when they see the shirts.

likwid
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Where are the "Kill the humans that effed up the ecosystem in the first place" t-shirts?

fishbones
05-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Where are the "Kill the humans that effed up the ecosystem in the first place" t-shirts?

That one's right here.

http://www.stylinonline.com/tsdestroyallhumanssobshr.html

MarshCappa
05-05-2009, 04:52 PM
That one's right here.

http://www.stylinonline.com/tsdestroyallhumanssobshr.html

Creepy!

RickBomba
05-05-2009, 04:59 PM
They were selling doggies at my fish market on Saturday...first time I've seen that over here.

MarshCappa
05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
They were selling doggies at my fish market on Saturday...first time I've seen that over here.

Never had it so I will refrain from using the vomit icon. With that said I've seen many guys on this site talk about how they cook them up and some rave about the taste. I'd be willing to try it if one of the experts cooked it up.

Nebe
05-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I've had it before.... Pretty good
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

striperman36
05-05-2009, 06:05 PM
go to any pub or restaurant in the UK thats fish and chips!!

RIROCKHOUND
05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Iwe may have to convert the images from photos to line art.

www.cafepress.com

big jay
05-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I'll take an XXL.

Thanks Mike.

JohnR
05-06-2009, 07:29 AM

Pretty sure you have one :heybaby:

RIROCKHOUND
05-06-2009, 07:42 AM

You buy it at the same place you buy the 'Ted is smarter than everyone on the internet' shirts :jump1:

ThrowingTimber
05-06-2009, 09:17 AM
You buy it at the same place you buy the 'Ted is smarter than everyone on the internet' shirts :jump1:

love it. :agree:

likwid
05-06-2009, 09:59 AM

Oh man, and I thought that was swapped out for the "I support my local poachers and tax evaders." tshirt.

Honestly, if you can prove that dogfish created the situation that they're in ON THEIR OWN, please, by all means...

PROVE ME WRONG WITH CONCRETE EVIDENCE BACKING IT UP.

I'll even buy you a 6 pack of something German.

Yes, thats a bet.

It shouldn't be too hard to disprove that draggers nuking away on the scale of strip mining had nothing to do with it right? :lurk:

And everyone? Nah, Just you. :hihi:

RIROCKHOUND
05-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Of course they didn't create it on their own, BUT in response to overfishing, these mid-sized predators (i.e dogfish, cownose rays etc..) fill the niche left by the lack of Cod; however the way I understand it, it is a negative feedback, i.e. the lack of cod and others increased the population of dogfish which is now creating a situation where cod can't compete w/ the increased dogfish....

this is based on a talk and papers I read by a guy named 'RAM' (Ransom A Myers I think) who was a Canadian fisheries biologist (I think I heard he passed away)

but what do I know.. I'm a geologist, not a fisheries biologist or a sailor/emt/ski bum :D:D:D:D

likwid
05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
i.e. the lack of cod and others increased the population of dogfish which is now creating a situation where cod can't compete w/ the increased dogfish....

Cod are doomed on their own dogfish or no dogfish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_cod
(Anyone have the NMFS newsletter where they outright said cod are screwed? Does anyone here even get it?)
Off topic for a minute, why are we still fishing for something that has been labeled vulnerable? Does anyone else see the stupidity in that? I will happily say I'm a hypocrite in this sense, but it doesn't stop me from scratching my head.

this is based on a talk and papers I read by a guy named 'RAM' (Ransom A Myers I think) who was a Canadian fisheries biologist (I think I heard he passed away)

Can't tell from the Meyers Lab site, but its no longer updated (since 07)

but what do I know.. I'm a geologist, not a fisheries biologist or a sailor/emt/ski bum :D:D:D:D

Hey, you at least went and actually decided to research on your own instead of say, blaming other fish. :rotf3:

The Dad Fisherman
05-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Off topic for a minute, why are we still fishing for something that has been labeled vulnerable?

Money

Joe
05-06-2009, 10:54 AM
The most cost effective way to raise awareness about anything is to start a website. The single most empowering act for a person wishing to forward any agenda is to sign up for a Dreamweaver class at their local community college. I found having short runs of tees outsourced to be an impractical endeavor - your concern and willingness to make an effort is commendable.

RIROCKHOUND
05-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey, you at least went and actually decided to research on your own instead of say, blaming other fish. :rotf3:

1. "why are we still fishing for them?" I don't know, but the rape that went on this winter for a couple of weeks of boats RAILING cod south of Block this winter (Boats from NJ, NY, CT, MA, RI) made me sick. We were just starting to see some anecdotal increases in the late fall while blackfishing. buh-bye. Comm's and Rec's are to blame in this fishery...

2. I try never to 'spout off' and all the grief I took over the pogie debate in RI, I still sleep well b/c I wasn't drinking anyones kool-aid :D

OUT

Gunpowder
05-06-2009, 11:12 AM

love the wikipedia citation :rotfl: if only my college professors let me site from there :tm:

Nebe
05-06-2009, 11:55 AM
(Anyone have the NMFS newsletter where they outright said cod are screwed? Does anyone here even get it?)
Off topic for a minute, why are we still fishing for something that has been labeled vulnerable? Does anyone else see the stupidity in that? I will happily say I'm a hypocrite in this sense, but it doesn't stop me from scratching my head.

Can't tell from the Meyers Lab site, but its no longer updated (since 07)

Ted, I took this qoute from the wikedpedia page-

Several cod stocks collapsed in the 1990s (declined by >95% of maximum historical biomass) and have failed to recover even with the cessation of fishing.[3] This absence of the apex predator has led to a trophic cascade in many areas.[3] Many other cod stocks remain at risk.

trophic cascade is when you remove one link of a food chain and it is filled in with more of the lower link.. When you remove the cod, dogfish or other stuff can move in and do 2 things- eat the food that the cod is trying to eat and also eat baby cod.

Nebe
05-06-2009, 11:56 AM
1. "why are we still fishing for them?" I don't know, but the rape that went on this winter for a couple of weeks of boats RAILING cod south of Block this winter (Boats from NJ, NY, CT, MA, RI) made me sick. We were just starting to see some anecdotal increases in the late fall while blackfishing. buh-bye. Comm's and Rec's are to blame in this fishery...

when to cod spawn??? :hs:

MakoMike
05-06-2009, 03:23 PM
According to the NMFS trawl surveys dogfish have the highest biomass in the northeast ocean. You don't think that affects cod rebuilding as well as getting to the target for fluke, flounder, etc.?

Sweetwater
05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Am I missing something?

Agree. After I saw the thread (Protest) then saw the shirts...I thought the shirts were to "Save the Dogfish"

Raider Ronnie
05-06-2009, 04:26 PM
This should be on a "dogfish tshirt"

Raider Ronnie
05-06-2009, 04:30 PM
This should be on a "dogfish tshirt"

Never mind.
I posted a pic of us using the "dispatchers" in another tread and can't post the pic again.

thefishingfreak
05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
"Saving the oceans doggies, one fish at a time"

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/hegdeclippers2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/hegdeclippers3.jpg

Raider Ronnie
05-06-2009, 05:12 PM
"Saving the oceans doggies, one fish at a time"

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/hegdeclippers2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/hegdeclippers3.jpg

Thanks for the help with the pics Mike !

I've got to start keeping the wood chipper on my boat !!!

fishaholic18
05-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Nice.....Clammer needs to try that with Bluefish...

zimmy
05-07-2009, 08:38 AM
those are some classy pics :doh:

EarnedStripes44
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM

Saw the same thing at Haymarket.....disgusting..