View Full Version : 2009 RI fluke regs announced

RIJIMMY
05-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I havent got around to fish for them but I know you guys have been waiting.

The recreational summer flounder regulations for 2009 have been decided:

21” minimum size, a 6 fish bag limit
season from June 17 through December 31

You can see a summary of all recreational regulations at the following link:

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/mfsizes.htm

JohnnyD
05-06-2009, 12:00 PM
It is concerning to me that Massachusetts has a 6 week season and RI has a 6 month system.

I'm not implying that either state is right or wrong but, there seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

striperman36
05-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Its not controlled by ASFMC

JohnnyD
05-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Its not controlled by ASFMC

I understand that. But the complete disconnect in regulations is amazing to me.

A 6 week season demonstrates that the MA regulators feel as though there is a serious concern with the current fluke stocks.

A 6 month season demonstrates that those same concerns do not carry over to the RI waters.

Mr. Sandman
05-06-2009, 02:24 PM
The problem with a 21" limit is the mortality. They assume a constant 10% mortality rate. With the increased size limit you need to catch more fish for every keeper and therefor you are in effect killing more.
In 2008, we hit the highest mortality ever. I think it was 2X higher than the previous year. This was because of the increasing limit.

IMO they should take away the size limit and let you take any size fish you want, just limit the number (creel limit). In this way you will be actually killing less fish. Unfortunately the fishery people are not forward thinkers, take away their rear view mirrors and they are doomed.

The track record of fisheries management is pathetic esp in MA.

That said, I like the idea of a longer season. it doesn't need to be 6 months but something north of 5 weeks would be nice. I think at one point they were proposing 32 days.

In MA, right now the current regs are:
July 1 - Aug 13 18.5 in 5 fish
but your mileage may vary