View Full Version : Video - Surrounded by hungry Dogs!

Fish_Eye
05-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Here's a clip from inside "Secrets of the Striper Pros" it was shot off Block Island four years ago and the spiny dogfish problem was already BAD...it's only gotten worse.

Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdf9pNvYXQA

Mike

Bassinthebay
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
caught about 30 of them the other year at the mouth of the cc canal...

was a pain when looking for bass, but were pretty fun to catch on light tackle

moosh
05-06-2009, 10:24 PM
When I was lobstering I would use them as bait as a last resort, they not very good for bait but better than nothing , Im sure there could be some use for them in some third world hell hole ...

JohnnyD
05-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Im sure there could be some use for them in some third world hell hole ...

Don't the English use Dogfish for Fish and Chips? Or at least didn't they?

Fish_Eye
05-07-2009, 01:25 AM
There's a big market for them and F&C in England is one of them. Try using a strip of their belly meat for fluke...they won't pull it off the hook.

Raven
05-07-2009, 04:48 AM
make them into shoes or ladies purses :cheers:

fish4striper
05-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Mike ,

When you see dogfish, do you see bass at the same time together? Do they hunt the same spot or do they drive the bass away from that spot.

Fish_Eye
05-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Dogfish = No Stripers

They move in, bass move out.

MakoMike
05-07-2009, 07:47 AM
All good reason why we're trying to get people to protest the NMFS dogfish policy. One way is to get and wear the t-shirts, preferably where NMFS/NOAA people will see them.

DZ
05-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Mike ,

When you see dogfish, do you see bass at the same time together? Do they hunt the same spot or do they drive the bass away from that spot.

On Block we caught the doggies and bass together - the doggies love sand eels and would strike our needlefish plugs. At times they were bursting with sand eels and spitting them out. They will feed together at the right opportunity.

DZ

Fish_Eye
05-07-2009, 10:26 AM
DZ,

I have no doubt that they coexist and sometimes feed together, just like the big stripers feed under the whales in the Gulf of Maine. However, when the numbers of dogs gets overwhelming, unless there is a mega supply of bait the sharks generally win out...at least in my experience. God forbid you're using eels.

capecodder
05-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Are they really getting worse or just more awareness? Back in the 70's my Dad took us on the Dolphin/Ranger deep sea fishing boats from PTown. Before they turned to whale watching. We would often run into a pack of dogs out on the bank that would create havoc on the boat as they swim in circles and tangle all the lines.

I wonder if they are more numerous...

Fish_Eye
05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
capecodder,

Up and down the coast there are reports of dogs in areas where dogfish never were seen before...this normally happens when the biomass is so large they need to expand their range...think coyotes, cormorants, mute swans, etc.