View Full Version : Abu's Tricked out

vanstaal
05-09-2009, 02:27 PM
has anyone here had dealings with Hatteras Jack In Rodanthe NC ?

derf
05-09-2009, 03:56 PM
yup , what you need to know ?? :)

vanstaal
05-09-2009, 04:12 PM
does he do what he says, is the service timely ?

trevier
05-09-2009, 04:57 PM
if you want anything done with a abu contact jerry foran, he is the abu guru,he has done 3 reels for me,prompt service and gets it done,matt

pmbrac
05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah, Jerry is great. He's never done work for me, but we've spoke and he a great dude. very knowledgeable about abu's..

jimmy z
05-09-2009, 07:19 PM
I've had dealings with Jerry Foran as well. I don't know about HJ, but I can surely recommend Jerry Foran.:kewl:

This is one he made for me. An old school 6500 c3 ct, with Abec 5 bearings in the side plates.

surfcrazy1
05-10-2009, 07:13 AM
u also have bill thomas...bills custom reels in sc
had a couple of dealings with him very reasonable and prompt
also know he does some work with tommy farmer
if that means anything????

derf
05-10-2009, 07:29 AM
does he do what he says, is the service timely ?

imo , he does what he says :)
as long as he has the parts in stock the turn around is good , but anything i have had done was done right there while i waited .
the othe question is what are you looking to have done ??
most of the 'upgrades ' are 'bolt-on' .
and again ,imo, if you are going to have a reel upgraded ; you need to know how to tune it and service it yourself .
derf

vanstaal
05-10-2009, 09:58 AM
thanks for the info I just don't have the time right now to do it .

gone fishin
05-11-2009, 12:30 AM
See Mike at M&D in Wareham. There isn't a whole lot of tricking to be done on a Abu. Bearings, pinion and gears are all available locally and most times you can wait for the reel. Or if it is parts only Buckos is closer to you.

In my opinion, there isn't a whole lot a shop can really do for you if you don't know what is being done and how to use it. Usually the only problem castin a Abu is the person casting it. :uhuh: The only conversion that I would send my reel out for, would be to mag it if it doesn't come that way. Other than that the only "tricking" needed is a good matched rod and smooth cast.:fishin:

Saltheart
05-11-2009, 06:34 PM
What we call tricked out up here with abec 7 bearings and new drag washers is nothing compared to what is available for the ABU reels from places like Hatteras Jack. They make up up whole new sideplates that bolt on with magnetic casting controls with micro adjustments. They retrofit speed bushings and they have ceramic bearings sometimes.

Anyway , yes for normal stuff like you here about in the nrth you can get at M+D but for the super exotic stuff there are specialty places. I have dealth with Ryan at Hatteras Jacks before and he's very good. Very expert advice and reasonable prices.