View Full Version : MF-

justplugit
05-12-2009, 12:18 PM
But Dad, the President of the United States of America thinks it's funny
and his Chief of Staff says it all the time!

Nice example he's setting for our kids.

But he fit right in at the Correspondence dinner with his joke, that's
the most important thing. :rolleyes:

No character, no class. :doh:

Nebe
05-12-2009, 12:42 PM
http://weblog.disgu.st/url/577108

RIJIMMY
05-12-2009, 01:00 PM
??? whats the scoop?

JohnnyD
05-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Marking Fish??

EarnedStripes44
05-12-2009, 01:20 PM
What??? Jim hasnt heard.... that can only mean one thing....
there are fish R.I.!!!! 'Gansett here I come!!!

PaulS
05-12-2009, 01:21 PM
I think you missed every other correspondence dinner where the same type of jokes are told. I forget what year Pres. Bush was making jokes about looking for WMDs while our soldier were dieing there. Did you complain then also?

fishbones
05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I think you missed every other correspondence dinner where the same type of jokes are told. I forget what year Pres. Bush was making jokes about looking for WMDs while our soldier were dieing there. Did you complain then also?

Kind of like Wanda Sykes making a joke about 9-11 and the President laughing about it? Terrorist attacks that result in thousands of lives being lost is funny, huh?

It's too bad Sykes went down that road with her material because she's really funny and her Limbaugh jokes were good up until that part.

PaulS
05-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Kind of like Wanda Sykes making a joke about 9-11 and the President laughing about it? Terrorist attacks that result in thousands of lives being lost is funny, huh?

It's too bad Sykes went down that road with her material because she's really funny and her Limbaugh jokes were good up until that part.

I didn't hear any jokes from Wanda Sykes (I don't spend my days searching youtube, various sites or listening to talking heads for the latest things to bash the Pres.) but it certainly doesn't sound funny (maybe you can search my posts and try to somehow tie my saying something is funny to fit this post:laugha:). However, it certainly sounds hypocritical to bash Obama for using the word MF while not calling out Bush for making jokes about WMDs while our soldiers were dieing in Iraq. Wouldn't you agree it is probably funnier to swear then to make fun of WMDs while our soldiers are dieing in Iraq?

JohnnyD
05-12-2009, 02:21 PM

I think Wanda Sykes is the most annoying pseudo-mainstream comedian I have ever witnessed.

fishbones
05-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I didn't hear any jokes from Wanda Sykes (I don't spend my days searching youtube, various sites or listening to talking heads for the latest things to bash the Pres.) but it certainly doesn't sound funny (maybe you can search my posts and try to somehow tie my saying something is funny to fit this post:laugha:). However, it certainly sounds hypocritical to bash Obama for using the word MF while not calling out Bush for making jokes about WMDs while our soldiers were dieing in Iraq. Wouldn't you agree it is probably funnier to swear then to make fun of WMDs while our soldiers are dieing in Iraq?

Well, since you have to drag Bush into any negative post someone makes about Obama, I'll respond to you. Bush's "jokes" about WMD's were stupid. I think Bush said a lot of stupid and insensitive things during his time in the White House. Sorry to dissapoint you, but I'm not a Bush defender. I don't blindly stick up for someone just because they aren't in the same political party of someone I dislike.

I also don't spend my time searching the internet for things to make someone look bad either (that's BSSB/Cpt. Crunch's job). The Sykes comments were played all over television, and didn't require any searching. I actually like her humor and think she really screwed up with that one.

While I think Bush's jokes were inappropriate, I also think Obama's use of those words was inappropriate. Do you think it's o.k. for the President to use that kind of language in a public forum? Even though it's an adult crowd (some of whom probably don't talk like that either), it's made available via the internet for anyone who can use a computer. If you think it's o.k. for him to talk like that, either you don't have children or you don't care what they are exposed to.

Oh, and you didn't say anything about Obama laughing at the 9-11 joke. Can you defend him on that without bringing Bush into it?

fishbones
05-12-2009, 02:39 PM
I think Wanda Sykes is the most annoying pseudo-mainstream comedian I have ever witnessed.

I guess you don't watch "The New Adventures of Old Christine"?:hee:

EarnedStripes44
05-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Wanda Sikes aint got nothing Steve Colbert

EarnedStripes44
05-12-2009, 02:47 PM
nothing on*

justplugit
05-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Never watched any correspondence dinners, saw this one and his remarks on TV today.

If i had heard Bush say something similar or anything to disparage our troops, in any way, i would have been all over him.

This has to do with The President of The United States of America representing America and setting a good example for our kids, who sorely need a good role model.

Old fashioned i guess, expecting the Office of The Presidency to be a highly respected office.

Joe
05-12-2009, 03:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZtL6rCeGY&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fvideosear ch%3Fhl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26q%3Dwanda%2520sykes%25 20Pootie%2520Tang%26um%3D1%26ie%3DUTF%2D8%26s&feature=player_embedded
The uptight and upright are down to 21%

PaulS
05-13-2009, 06:58 AM
While I think Bush's jokes were inappropriate, I also think Obama's use of those words was inappropriate. Do you think it's o.k. for the President to use that kind of language in a public forum? Even though it's an adult crowd (some of whom probably don't talk like that either), it's made available via the internet for anyone who can use a computer. If you think it's o.k. for him to talk like that, either you don't have children or you don't care what they are exposed to.

Oh, and you didn't say anything about Obama laughing at the 9-11 joke. Can you defend him on that without bringing Bush into it?

I don't have children but I wouldn't look to you (just as you shouldn't look to me) , the Pres., a sports figure or anyone else to set the example of what I think is appropriate.

Can I defend him- no, it was inappropriate and in my prior posts, I never defended him.

My complaint was w/the hypoc. of calling him out when the prior Pres. and VP (giving the finger to a senator) skate free.

fishbones
05-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Paul, if you think Bush or Cheney have never been called out, you must either be smoking something real good or you are have no clue. I know you definitely are not clueless or stupid, so pass the dutchie, dude.

Whether you like it or not, the President is a public figure who is elected to REPRESENT the people of the United States. You can't compare him to a sports figure. It's totally different. In almost every case of a politician doing or saying something stupid, they deserve to and usually do get called on the carpet for it.

I'm sorry to hear that you think Obama shouldn't be looked at as someone who sets examples or can be a role model. I don't expect my child to model his behavior after the President, but I will certainly talk to him about the historical significance of what Obama accomplished by being elected President. By working hard, he did something that has never been done before. He gave millions of people hope and motivation that they can be whatever thay want regardless of their color, sex, etc... To me, even if I don't agree with his politics, I admire what he has done and think that it's great that he has broken down barriers.

PaulS
05-13-2009, 09:17 AM
FB, we may have more agreement here than disagreement and part of the problem is w/our mode of communication. I have no problem calling the Pres. or any one out for something they do wrong. And as an example of the problem w/the internet and trying to communicate in 60 sec. bursts, I basically agree w/you about the Pres. as a role model. Its my responsibility alone to raise my child and set the example. Some people (the Pres. for instance) can have an influence.

My point is I think since he became Pres. the level of discourse of the people who don't approve has been taken to a level that I can't remember w/another Pres. Certainly, Bush was called out for many things after 9/11 and his drive to have us attack Iraq. But in his first 100 days, there was no comparision between then and how Obama is treated now. Maybe there were posts about Bush's jokes about searching for WMDs or Cheneys giving the finger, but I don't recall discussions on prior Presidential wives dress and whether their showing to much arm or if the dress is to short like we see now or other seemingly minor points. If anyone disagrees w/the stimulas for example, that is a legitimate topic for discussion.

PS - I voted for Bush 9 years ago.

RIJIMMY
05-13-2009, 09:51 AM
SO...I gues Obama said Mother Fu$$er?

Thats kinda lame. This is our president. As with other criticisms (the ah, um, um) at press conferences, I compare it to a senior exec at a company. Even if it was a humurous event, if a senior exec used that language it would be inappropriate.

and ES44 - I've been absent from the political forums for a few weeks, I guess I havent been missed! yes - its fish time, no time for political babble, I'll see yas in late Nov!!

spence
05-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Here's the irony that seems to be lost.

Rush Limbaugh's own motto is "demonstrating absurdity by being absurd" and he uses it to justify saying just about anything.

In this context I think Skykes was making a perfectly valid point.

To be critical of Obama in this situation is silly, he's sitting there listening to a comedy bit being delivered by someone else. Laughing at an off color joke isn't an endorsement.

I remember Bush actually took the time to have staged photos of himself looking for WMD in the oval office, a joke about a war of choice that he decided we should get into and that has cost our country a lot of life and treasure.

Big difference.

Get real people.

-spence

fishbones
05-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Spence, it's not about an "off color" joke as you put it. It's off color to joke about someones appearance, race, religion, etc... and to use language that might turn some people off.
It's insensitive to joke about a terrorist attack that killed thousands of people and affected thousands more. Do you think jokes about the Holocaust are funny or just "off color"? Obama came out and apologized afterwards. By apologizing, he's acknowledging that it wasn't the right thing to do. You don't have to try to rationalize everything that Obama gets criticized for. You come to his defense more than he comes to his own when someone says or writes something negative for cryin' out loud.

spence
05-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Spence, it's not about an "off color" joke as you put it. It's off color to joke about someones appearance, race, religion, etc... and to use language that might turn some people off.
Off color is a generic term to represent a joke or statement that would be generally considered potentially offensive. I think most would agree that she was pushing the envelope.

It's insensitive to joke about a terrorist attack that killed thousands of people and affected thousands more. Do you think jokes about the Holocaust are funny or just "off color"?
Skykes wasn't joking about 9/11, she was joking about Rush Limbaugh. This is about irony and the audience is sophisticated enough to get it.

You're playing it like she was insulting the victims, which exactly the opposite of what she was actually saying.

-spence

fishbones
05-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Off color is a generic term to represent a joke or statement that would be generally considered potentially offensive. I think most would agree that she was pushing the envelope.

Skykes wasn't joking about 9/11, she was joking about Rush Limbaugh. This is about irony and the audience is sophisticated enough to get it.

You're playing it like she was insulting the victims, which exactly the opposite of what she was actually saying.

-spence

I'm not playing it like she was insulting the victims. I'm just pointing out that that event brings up painful memories for many people.
You're playing it like it's ok to make a joke at someones expense using a tragic event as a vehicle to deliver the zinger. It would be like me saying Bill Clinton would have been the guy responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing, but his pickup truck ran out of gas in the McDonalds drive thru that morning.

If you've read my other posts, I generally like Sykes brand of humor. I think she's edgy and witty and I'm not someone who's easily offended by racy comics. In this case, it seemed like she was ad-libbing based on the way she threw the comment out there. Still, that doesn't make it acceptable.