View Full Version : Wood For Outdoor Shower?

BigFish
05-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Had an outdoor shower put on the back of my house.....mostly because we will be gutting our only bathroom shortly and will need someplace to shower for 3-4 weeks! Anyway.....curious for recommendations on what type of wood is best for a stall?? PT......nope....pine....nope.....I am thinking cedar??? :confused:

gone fishin
05-12-2009, 11:21 PM
white cedar or mahogany -- I have one in Maine made from cedar. We used PT sleepers and it held up great. Just remember stainless nails:D

Larry, what about the new composition materials? You must carry it at Lowe's.

Crafty Angler
05-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Spruce - it won't get slippery or slimy when wet -

That's what they used to use for the planks on bass-stands...

And no, I wasn't there at the time...:hihi:

BigFish
05-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Hey Don....Thanks! I was thinking maybe composite Trex deck for the floor.....not sure yet.

Crafty.....slimey is what I worry about. Maybe Spruce floor, cedar walls? Thanks!

Raven
05-13-2009, 05:00 AM
the artificial deck boards on the floor would provide some traction
since your gonna be using soap and shampoo in there...

The Dad Fisherman
05-13-2009, 05:46 AM
ahhhhh.....Just hang a hose from the tree and go for it.......neighbors will love it....

Just an FYI on the trex stuff.......if its a sunny spot they get hot as hell in the sun. so any afternoon showers could be painful.

Raven
05-13-2009, 06:04 AM
i'd build an octogon, so there's no bumping elbo's when inside it.

then the sides are smaller and stackable if you dissemble it later

don't forget the french drain

Cool Beans
05-13-2009, 06:17 AM
:D just set up 2 shower curtains and some tent poles. :bl:

Works great until the wind blows :laughs:

Raven
05-13-2009, 06:23 AM
60 bucks inflatable outdoor shower

dunno if it's big enough for king kong tho :)

http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/productr.asp?pf_id=T0062&refcode=S9SP2201&FNM=90

Raven
05-13-2009, 06:27 AM
That's what they used to use for the planks on bass-stands...

And no, I wasn't there at the time...:hihi:

someone's nose just grew longer.... ;)

nightfighter
05-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Best one I built was out of reclaimed white cedar from an old fence. Use new white cedar or rough spruce for framing. (You can "age the new stuff with a baking soda/ water mixture sprayed on) Used 1x4 mahogany for decking over drain. Do not skimp on square footage.

HighTide
05-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Right, make it as big as you can. I'm thinking of building one myself and I want to leave plenty of room for a bench and some towel/ clothing hooks.

Saltheart
05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
With the trex like stuff the color matters. The dark stuff gets hot in the sun. I have a deck made of that stuff but its light gray. Does not get hot.

It does have a texture to it that may be too agressive for bare feet. Maybe find somewhere that has it as decking and try it with your shoes off.

2na
05-14-2009, 07:02 AM
I just stack a cord of wood around mine - the advantages of a cottage in the wilds of Truro.

Larry, make it as big as possible, with southern exposure (to get sun and block cold winds) and a double showerhead (double showerhead for water coverage more than anything).

My decking is just standard pt, and it is not slippery, but I worry about the breakdown of the wood and monster splinters. When I re-do it I would use a composite, maybe a light grey to keep the heat factor low..

Crafty Angler
05-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Hmmmm....nice 3 smoker set-up caught my eye....:smokin:

Looks like a production line for bluefish ya got there...:kewl:

2na
05-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Very good Crafty - along with a little salmon to break things up. See, its a multi purpose shower stall - firewood, coolers, smokers, grill

justplugit
05-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Larry, if it's a short term thing you can get a solar shower stall
from Hamilton Marine for around $37. If it is forever thing i would go
with teak, but big. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Backbeach Jake
05-14-2009, 07:46 PM
A Luan floor would work, get better the more you use it because of the soap. In the old days the Japanese would rub down their outdoor wood with old bath water for a nice finish. A nice light colored trex would be ice as well. I've been pondering this myself for the Cape House..