View Full Version : Bash'em.... Favorite Fishing Quotes!!!

leptar
05-13-2009, 09:59 AM
LOL...

A buddy sent me a couple this AM...

"Bass fishermen watch Monday night football, drink beer, drive pickup trucks and prefer noisy women with big breasts. Trout fishermen watch MacNeil-Lehrer, drink white wine, drive foreign cars with passenger-side air bags and hardly think about women at all. This last characteristic may have something to do with the fact that trout fishermen spend most of the time immersed up to the thighs in ice-cold water. ~Author Unknown"

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. ~Author Unknown"

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. ~Steven Wright"

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad. ~A.K. Best"

"Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway"

FishermanTim
05-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Here's a few:

"A pessimist is any angler who thinks the weather is too bad to fish.
An optimist is any wife/girlfriend who thinks her man won't fish anyway!" - Author Unknown

"If an angler tells his wife, 'I'm off to M&D's to pick up a few things," what he really means is: "I'm buying a new tackle box/bag the size of an SUV and filling it with all the necessities." - Unknown

"The day was fine - not another hook in the brook." - Daniel Webster

"It is not easy to tell one how to cast. The art must be acquired by practice." - Charles Orvis

"Good sex and good fishing both require passion." - Paul Quinnett

"Of all the hardware a fishermancarries with him ot the stream, his timepiece is the least important." - Paul Quinnett

"When four fisherman get together, there's always a fifth." - Spencer Apollonio

My favorite: "Fisherman: A jerk on one of the pole waiting for a jerk on the other." - Unknown

Swimmer
05-13-2009, 11:09 AM
How many times have you heard or in fact started out a fishing statement or story by saying, "this guy I know". Bigfish and I were on the road last week and chuckled quite awhile about all the time we heard fish stories start off with those four words. This guy I know, this guy I know, I am just going to say from now on TGIK.

Sea Flat
05-13-2009, 11:13 AM
How many times have you heard or in fact started out a fishing statement or story by saying, "this guy I know". Bigfish and I were on the road last week and chuckled quite awhile about all the time we heard fish stories start off with those four words. This guy I know, this guy I know, I am just going to say from now on TGIK.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Totally true!!

Backbeach Jake
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Show me the weigh slip.

Rob Rockcrawler
05-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Love the Hemmingway quote.

Pete F.
05-13-2009, 05:39 PM
TGIK said AL?

BassDawg
05-14-2009, 06:24 AM
here's some of my favorites:

"When I beached this striper, I was astounded to see that it was not the brute that I had expected. It later weighed only 43 pounds, but I needn't have weighed it because I was certain that the fish I was after was still out there. And she was. Again, she slid through a curling wave, I laid a cast where it should have been and hooked up right away. Pulling line from the spool, she went out over bars into line that my 43 had not even moistened~~~ and then I dropped her. If not a record, she would have been, I am certain, my personal best. He gives trophy stripers and He takes them away. It is one of the rules." ~Frank Daignault from TheTrophy Striper

when asked what did you catch that monstah on,
JimmmySly once said~ "an eeeeeeeeeel big enuff to scare small children."

"moisture is the essence of wetness, wetness is the essence of beauty." ~Rob Bartolini

DZ
05-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Some of my favorites:

"We'll take the car and drive all night. We'll get drunk. We'll go fishing and stay away until she's gone."
Sam the Piano Player from the film Casablanca. (Sam is offering this advice to Humphrey Bogart as an antidote to Bogie's broken heart.)

"If you believe breeding in warm shallow water is strictly for the fishes, you haven't tried it in a hot tub."
Dr. Paul Quinnett

"It was considered an act of courtesy not to ask where someone caught their bass, if you did you deserved a lie."
Dennis Zambrotta from "The Snowstorm Blitz"

Nebe
05-14-2009, 08:52 AM
"I catch nuttin but weeds"- Backeye

ThrowingTimber
05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
"oh *blank*, dont worry about *blank*, he's no threat to the species." - cant say.

Thats about as big as a fish that big gets. -unknown

Drifting eels on block, on a 3way with a release clip, chuggin' a corona, Jim V. says what you cant do two things at once?:buds: nope gotta concentrate on one.

"Ham and egger." T.O

"Greenhorn boat" anything with a canvas sunbrella clammer

"monster Poster, schoolie killer."

Van
05-14-2009, 02:39 PM
It's not that the fish was small, just that the distance between its head and tail wasn't very much----Bill Dance---

Fishing IS a matter of life or death... This in on my refrigerator by an
---Unknown Author---

Pete F.
05-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I just saw this one.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Henry David Thoreau

The Dad Fisherman
05-15-2009, 06:16 AM
"If Fishing is a Sport, Then You're Looking at an Athlete" - T-Shirt

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it." - Koos Brandt

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

"The fishing was so good I thought it was yesterday." - Unknown

"I object to fishing tournaments less for what they do to fish than what they do to fishermen." - Ted Williams

"Fishing consists of a series of misadventures interspersed by occasional moments of glory." - Howard Marshall

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child fish." - Jim Porter

"Fishing gives you a sense of where you fit in the scheme of things - Your place in the universe... I mean, here I am, one small guy with a fishing rod, on this vast sea, and out there in the vast expanse of the ocean are these hundreds of millions of fish ...laughing at me" - Unknown

"All fishermen are liars except you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you." - Unknown

"In the morning be first up, and in the evening, last to go to bed, for they that sleep catch no fish" - Old English Proverb

"Fishing in rainy conditions may make fisherman seem crazy to the great mass of unimaginative people, but then few fishermen care what they think" - John Gierach

"The reason many fisherman aren't successful is that you have to be at least half as smart as your quarry to catch them!" - Unknown

"Of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy" - William Sherwood Fox

BassDawg
05-15-2009, 06:28 AM
this can also be applied to anything that requires manly "strength"~~

hammering nails, swinging axes, digging ditches, finishing concrete;

"if you're gonna fight that fish like a girl, at least fight it like a BIG GURL!!"
~Thimber is where i first heard it,

a timeless CLASSIC that makes me laugh everytime i hear it
:bl: :bl: :bl:

Mad Hatter
05-15-2009, 10:22 AM
You are officially in bad shape if you are too drunk to fish.....unknown

Saltheart
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Only two things in the world smell like fish....and one of them is fish. :devil:

wader-dad
05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
When the wind is from the east- the fishing is the least. When the wind is from the west- the fishing is the best.

That was true for flounder fishing when I was a kid and my father would say that. May not apply to bass ahead of a noreaster.