View Full Version : Airbrush Cleaning Question

fishbones
05-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I have an older Paasche that was given to me as a backup. I got it out last night to finish up a few kits I had sitting around and realized that the previous owner didn't do a good job cleaning it. It's getting no air flow because it's all blocked up. Is there a trick to cleaning old dried up paint out of it?

Mugz
05-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Throw it in boiling water for a few minutes........then use a pipe cleaner. I bought a cleaning kit but I find a few pipe cleaners do the trick.....and lots of Q-tips.

outnumbered
05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Do a search for Bernzy's airbrush cleaner Works great even on dried up paint.

justplugit
05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Soaking it overnight in Simple Green, full strength, should help.

Dad 818
05-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Do a search for Bernzy's airbrush cleaner Works great even on dried up paint.

I believe it is:

25% Simple Green
25% Windex
50% Water

BigFish
05-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Soak it but replace nozzle at the very least...they only cost a couple bucks.:)

striperman36
05-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Harbor freight has a cleaning brush set for 2 bucks.

EricW
05-22-2009, 09:26 PM
be careful with pipe cleaners. I used to use them to clean out the bottom of my siphon feed Iwata where you attach the color cup. One day I found lots of little fibers plugging up my nozzle. A real pain to clean out. Stopped using them. I now use those little interdental ? brushes you get in the flossing section of the store. They don't come apart.

ProfessorM
05-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Just neglect. Once you get it up and running again you may want to use one of these with the simple green, windex, water solution in it. You can spray it direct into the brush after every color and to do final clean up. Nice as you can add pressure and spray direct into the pick up while brush is wide open, or into and thru any clogged internal parts like the cone and such. It makes it very simple. I aim it into a 5 gal. bucket of warm water. I also have Q-Tips available too for pick up tube cleaning. I also take apart brush after end of every session and clean. IMO it is a must. Then lube moving parts and reassemble. I really don't see the need for any brushes and such for cleaning. If you do this every time you should have no problem in the future except for worn parts. Parts do wear out with normal use and need replacement, cones, o rings, needles.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=6252&Page=1

Lube

http://store.spruebrothers.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=sbm&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=805538356&Count2=722678780&ProductID=17246&Target=products.asp&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase