View Full Version : Block Island beginning of June

beaver
05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
My folks got my girlfriend and I a few nights midweek at Block Island this June as a grad present, so of course we need to fish. We're staying right in town, above the Mohegan Cafe I believe. I've been there many times before and have a good idea of what I want to do, however, I've primarily fished from a boat. I have a few dilemmas that I'm looking to settle; and remember I'll be traveling on foot or maybe even by bike.

1. Do I bring my waders/korkers, even though the gf won't have any?
This will definitely help me fish, and might even help the girl if I can piggyback her to a close/safe rock. Will also help with unhooking fish,etc, but will be a pain to pack.

Actually I guess that is really the only dilemma. Going to bring identical set ups, so if I'm casting further I can say its not because of the rod. :rotf3: She doesn't like to reel in fish I hook either, which is great if shes catching, but terrible if only I am. Believe me my goal is to have her enjoy fishing as much as I do, even if I have to take it easy so I want to try an do this the best I can.

ANy thoughts or ideas???

lighthouse
05-15-2009, 02:41 PM
sounds like the recipe for a good time.

Ultimate fix is to buy her a pair of waders so she can experience the same as you!

numbskull
05-15-2009, 04:58 PM
I think you are making a mistake turning a special "romantic" get away into a fishing trip.....unless she is an experienced diehard fisherman already.

RIROCKHOUND
05-15-2009, 05:07 PM
I think you are making a mistake turning a special "romantic" get away into a fishing trip.....unless she is an experienced diehard fisherman already.

I agree! :wall:
based on experience!

Cool Beans
05-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Definitely agree to that, don't even bring the pole, stick with nice dinner and romance. If you go near the water, it's just to walk together and watch the sunset together. Fishing on a romantic getaway has lots of possible problems.

Don't you ever watch the Simpsons? the one where he almost gets divorces because he goes catfishing during a marriage retreat with Marge.

It will mean more to her, knowing how much you love fishing, that for this trip, you are willing to give it up for her (ONLY FOR THIS TRIP). She will think it's sweet that you want to only spend time with her.

Just my thoughts gathered from 20 yrs of marriage.

MarshCappa
05-15-2009, 09:22 PM
Don't listen to these guys!:rotf3: Bring all your gear and hit the beach! If you don't break her in now she'll get too spoiled. Get her some waders and get her out there. On one of my anniversary's I towed my skiff and brought all my gear to Chatham. I took her out on the skiff and we packed a nice lunch and stayed on the water for hours. I even shore fished while she read a book in the car for an hour. Get her used to it now cuz if you don't she'll just expect you to spend your "could be fishing time" with her doing stuff like shopping and lord knows whatever else. If she gives you a hard time that could be just the tip of the iceberg on other stuff. If you cave now, trust me you'll be asked to cave again and again. Be strong go fishing!:musc: You'll have time to that other stuff during other parts of the day and make sure your sincere and caring when you do them and then she won't mind so much if you fish for a few hours. Oh and one last thing, give her a little extra sugar if you know what I mean on the first night or even right when you first arrive to your place. She'll be glowing and you can pretty much do whatever you want after that! Have fun and good luck!!:lama: Congrats on your graduation as well.

fumifish
05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
go fishing at night while shes sleeping..... thats what i usually do :rollem:

Circlehook
05-15-2009, 11:57 PM
As long as you bring her to fish a place where she can have a chance to catch somthing you'll be all set. My girl and I went to Wellfleet for 5 days last summer, and I took her out to a bayside beach one night, bought a rod for her and a couple yellow bombers and had schoolie fest 2008. She absolutely loved it and booked us another trip for this year. As long as you make it somewhat romantic and easy for her, you'll be fine. One thing to remember, if she is fairly new to fishing, make sure you load the reel you give her with 30lb fireline. It won't cast as far, but won't get nasty knots and birdsnests like she most definately will with mono - trustme from experience. Fireline is idiot proof. Bombers also a must as a lure as they have no slime and have built in action on a steady retrieve.

Plenty of schoolies in Wellfleet in August.

keeperreaper
05-16-2009, 04:39 AM
Leave the fishing rod at home even if she tells you it is ok to bring it. The return on the investment is 50 fold. Giving up one weekend is a small price in the grand scheme of things.

fumifish
05-16-2009, 04:57 AM
going to the block and not fishing is like giving a crack head a bag of dope to hold for you..

slow eddie
05-16-2009, 08:45 AM
living in r.i., you can always fish the block. you may not always get lucky. one way or the other. my .02.

GonnaCatchABig1
05-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Don't listen to these guys!:rotf3: Bring all your gear and hit the beach! If you don't break her in now she'll get too spoiled. Get her some waders and get her out there. On one of my anniversary's I towed my skiff and brought all my gear to Chatham. I took her out on the skiff and we packed a nice lunch and stayed on the water for hours. I even shore fished while she read a book in the car for an hour. Get her used to it now cuz if you don't she'll just expect you to spend your "could be fishing time" with her doing stuff like shopping and lord knows whatever else. If she gives you a hard time that could be just the tip of the iceberg on other stuff. If you cave now, trust me you'll be asked to cave again and again. Be strong go fishing!:musc: You'll have time to that other stuff during other parts of the day and make sure your sincere and caring when you do them and then she won't mind so much if you fish for a few hours. Oh and one last thing, give her a little extra sugar if you know what I mean on the first night or even right when you first arrive to your place. She'll be glowing and you can pretty much do whatever you want after that! Have fun and good luck!!:lama: Congrats on your graduation as well.

Quoted For Truth!!

Nebe
05-16-2009, 10:27 AM
if it were me, Id make a reservation for a car... bring 2 10 foot rods and 2 8 foot light schoolie rods.. then bring 2 sand spikes.

spend the late afternoon sun sets on any of the beaches that are close to rocky points and do some bait fishing with squid on the bottom on the sand but near the rocks.. then after dark or sunrise poke around for some schoolies in the harbors..

for plugs- bring a bunch of small needlefish lures, some tins and do not step foot on the island with a bunch of assorted soft plastics that imitate sand eels. I like to use a 1/2 ounce jig head for most applications.

if you go and talk to John at Twin Maples, he will tell you where to go and what to use..

beaver
05-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Who ever said anything about a romantic getaway??? :jester:

Thanks for the input guys. Obviously if it was a "fishing trip" things would be much different, but I don't see the harm in bringing a few rods. I don't plan on hitting it hard, but a few hours here and there around dawn and dusk are manageable.

She is somewhat experienced and keeps telling me that we have to go fishing soon. I guess we'll see how it goes.

joe the plumber
05-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Enjoy the June Bugs! I'm sure they will be out in full force.

Rob Rockcrawler
05-17-2009, 02:16 PM
I would try packing a lunch and making the trek to an out of the way spot. Bring your rods and a blanket. Make it a romantic excursion with fishing involved. If its like last year there will be some good fishin out there at that time.

striperswiper75
05-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Might as well bring the rods and gear with you. It's gonna kill you to be out there without it. Even if you don't get to go fishing, at least you know you have it with you.
In terms of getting around to spots, either make a reservation now for a vehicle, or just cab it around the island to a spot for the night and fish along the beach as you go. My best lures out there have been medium sized needlefish and pink rigged sluggos.