View Full Version : Sow&Pigs Reef Report

PRBuzz
05-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Spent several hours there today at prime time with a great rip setup and we got skunked. As far as I can tell so did the 5-6 other boats fishing in the area.

capecodkid
05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
See anything up on top on your way out there?

PRBuzz
05-20-2009, 05:12 AM
Yesterday saw nothing anywhere: no bird action, no feeding action, no sonar action, no bait, etc. I was like being in a nightmare where fish didn't exist.
Path traveled: West Island (Fairhaven), to Sow&Pigs, around Cuttyhunk, up the western side of the Elizabethians to Woods Hole then across West Is.

numbskull
05-20-2009, 05:19 AM
I was out around WH to Wfal to Penikies yest am. Dead. But things change in a day this time of year.

MartinD18
05-20-2009, 05:35 AM
OK, this is a small thing, but for gods sake, they are the Elizabeths, not the "Elizabethians"

sorry

Sea Flat
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I went out the other day and all the way from the Canalians to the Cleveland Ledgeians there was nothing. So I decided to head over to the Woods Holeians, but the tide was all wrong. Before heading back in I took casts in front of the Nyes and Wings Neckians, but still got nothing. It wasn't until I went by the Bassettian Island that I finally got a fish.
:laughs::laughs::laughs::laughs::laughs::hf1::hf1: :hf1::hf1::hf1::hf1:

MarshCappa
05-20-2009, 09:06 AM
:rotf3::rotf3:

PRBuzz
05-20-2009, 09:57 AM
I blame it on the Tudor"ians" season ending final"ians". From now on they are the Elizabeths. Maybe that will change our/my luckian.

EarnedStripes44
05-20-2009, 12:15 PM
I only dream of the opportunity to fish such storied waters....

Back Beach
05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
But things change in a day this time of year.

Very true. Yesterday am on the east coast I took six nice fish off the shore from 18-27#. Today three dinks. Tomorrow who knows.

fishbones
05-20-2009, 01:35 PM
I only dream of the opportunity to fish such storied waters....

Geez, you make it sound like it's a million miles away. Did you know that there are charters that fish S&P? It's not very hard to book one either, as long as you don't want some specific dates in June. Besides, it's overrated anyways.

Mad Hatter
05-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Geez, you make it sound like it's a million miles away. Did you know that there are charters that fish S&P? It's not very hard to book one either, as long as you don't want some specific dates in June. Besides, it's overrated anyways. Overrated? What you lookin for? Those charters are awfully pricey, but 3 guys and it's almost reasonable.

Mr. Sandman
05-20-2009, 01:55 PM
IMO it is a tad early for the S&P to light up but as mentioned fish move thru every day so you never really know. I always find that area better a month from now thru the late fall.

fishbones
05-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Overrated? What you lookin for?

I grew up fishing overnighters at S&P with my dad and grandfather 30 years ago, before it became like the mall parking lot at Christmas time. Now, everyone heads out there with the expectations that they're going to catch the next world record and get their mug on the cover of Saltwater Sportsman.

Is the fishing good? Sure, but there are other places that are just as good or better and aren't crowded. On second thought, S&P is the holy grail of striper fishing. I heard it's common to get 50's on every pass when trolling.:whackin:

EarnedStripes44
05-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the gravity Bones. The prior post was an unintended side of repeated skunkings this year in that toilet of a river known as the mystic. Sometimes I get carried away ruminating on other swims I've read about that produce larger fish with some degree of regularity... relatively speaking.

I do share your sentiments on those spots with less notoriety producing fish just the same.