View Full Version : My Wooden Swimmer Mission

cableguy
05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
I am on a mission to go large on a wooden swimmer this year......alot of the old time footage as well as the state record ( I think ) were caught on a wooden swimmer......

with that being said......if you had to fish a wooden swimmer.,.....what would your choice be....style and color?

any help? Thanks!!! Jay

Circlehook
05-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I actually really like Salty's Danny :huh:, in white. Very versatile, and can handle pretty heavy current.

ThrowingTimber
05-21-2009, 07:08 PM
1. My own

Or a surf asylum atom junior style, absolutely wrecked fish on one in a herring color last fall.

Mike P
05-21-2009, 07:21 PM
alot of the old time footage as well as the state record ( I think ) were caught on a wooden swimmer......

with that being said......if you had to fish a wooden swimmer.,.....what would your choice be....style and color?

any help? Thanks!!! Jay

Which state record--3 fish share the honor and only one was caught on wood. ;)

numbskull
05-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Where are you planning to concentrate your efforts?

cableguy
05-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I fish from shore....mostly on the Cape

Bocephus
05-22-2009, 08:21 AM
BM Cowboy or RM bigeye swimmers bunker color

Canalman
05-22-2009, 10:02 AM
I have found that an Atom Junior is just about as good a fishfinder as a live eel. I know I'm going to take some flames for this :spin::laughs: but it's true. I have murdered fish on Beachmasters (esp. yellow) and ones that I have made--

That said, if I was looking to go large I would throw a large Danny around boulders in a moderate sea (meaning plenty of white water). I still haven't taken anything huge doing this (26 pounds was my best) but I know many who have and there really isn't much that compares to a fish blasting a danny!

Hope that helps

luds
05-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Beachmaster Cowboy or Bigwater Diver. Something big that gets down for large.

JLH
05-22-2009, 11:08 AM
I haven’t gone large my best is only 20lbs on a wooden swimmer but I do like the 2oz tattoo swimmers. I usually throw the white ones with the pink chin.

BMEUPSCOTTY
05-22-2009, 03:44 PM
That said, if I was looking to go large I would throw a large Danny around boulders in a moderate sea (meaning plenty of white water). I still haven't taken anything huge doing this (26 pounds was my best) but I know many who have and there really isn't much that compares to a fish blasting a danny!

Hope that helps

I'll second the danny, but most off the spots I fish are pretty shallow. I think they are easy to fish in the dark, when people like me loose a bit in the sense department. You just kind of let the plug tell you what to do. I reel as slow as possible, just enough to feel it working. If I'm on a beach with a good slope and strong receding water sometimes I give it some slack and let it back up if the pull is enough to still make it wobble. You can kind of feed it right to them. If nothing is working and/or the water is calm I'll change it up-- pause, twitch, pause twitch twitch...

If you're in deeper water I would agree that a big diver would be a good choice... again slooow is probably the way to go....

Krispy
05-22-2009, 04:06 PM
I 3rd the Atom Jr. Its got to be the old style, with the more tapered tail, the rear weighted version is even better. Yellow head, reddish tail :humpty: has taken several 30's for me

emgred
05-23-2009, 09:20 AM
I am on the same quest. Took some decent fish on JNSki Slope Jr. in the last two years. Over the winter I got was able to get hold of a Big Water Pikie, a couple of Dave's "Pichney Style" Slopeheads, and a Fixter Pikie. A buddy of mine has given me his version of a Cowboy Jr. I think with that group I should have a decent shot!

Clogston29
05-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Depending on your definition of large, chasing them with wooden swimmers is not typically the most successful approach, but it is probably the most fun way to target them. In my limited experience, getting below the surface is very important when targeting large. Even just a foot down makes a big difference over being on top. My top choice would be an atom jr or jointed eel in shallow water. A diving bw pikie or bm conrad jr in deep water.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

bassballer
05-23-2009, 10:49 AM
im a huge fan of BM dannys. bend the eye up and fish it 6" under the surface in shallow rocky structure. I have more confidence in this plug than any other one in my arsenal.

Rob Rockcrawler
05-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I cant wait to throw out the mother of all big wood this week. The AH sea dragon. Last year the CCT dannys were getting destroyed all year. My favorite danny so far. I bought 5-6 of em and they all are heavy mojo plugs.