numbskull
05-29-2009, 03:42 PM
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/Quissett/backlashfull1.jpg
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/Quissett/backlashfull2.jpg
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/Quissett/backlashfull3.jpg

......well I did get it out......after about 90 minutes. :spin:

Pete F.
05-29-2009, 04:50 PM
That only happens to me after I walked a half an hour away from my spinner.

Cool Beans
05-29-2009, 04:56 PM
A trick my dad taught me is when you get one like that, hold your thumb down hard as you can pushing down on the line, then crank it in a bit, then try to peel a lil bit off, then repeat with the thumb, as you have to tighten the line underneath to keep it from tangling worse. He usually gets rats nests cleared out in 5 to 10 min max.

Tagger
05-29-2009, 05:06 PM
I had a worse one than that .. last year ,, took 1 hr. at the canal,,, 5 hrs. in my living room .. new cortland 50lb. masterbraid ... I wasn't cutting it off .. dog looks pissed

ProfessorM
05-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Is that the rod I cast the other day? Remember when I asked you "you use braid on a non level wind". That is a prefect example why I use mono on mine. That had to be a bitch to pick out. On Tuesday morning my first cast looked like that. I only had one rod and thought great what a waste of time coming down there. I was able to pick it out after some work, and there were fish braking the whole time for added pressure. I would have given up after 15. Good for you.

Bronko
05-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Nests like that are why I am 90% Van Staal and only 10% calcutta. Paul I would have had a panic attack if that happened to me on Monday with 20-40lb class of fish crashing at my feet!:hee:

Slingah
05-29-2009, 05:32 PM
yuck....

Raider Ronnie
05-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I've got a much better one than that.

Last sunday I had 6 guys aboard for a cod charter.
I'm using brand new Shimano Travela jiggin rods, paired with Shimano Torium reels, spooled with 65lb power pro.
I cast a 24 oz jig up current, the reel starts making some grinding noise, about a few hundred ft of line gets out and the reel locks up and the rod/reel flies out of my hands, straight down in 200 ft of water.
I hit a MOB on the plotter and we spend quite a while with another jig trying to snag it with no luck.
After a while I give up and am bummed as thats about $400 donated to the ocean. :fishslap:
We go back to fishing and are catching good size cod when one of the guys says "I've got a good one coming up"
I'm waiting with gaff in hand as he reels it up and to my amazement he snagged the jig of my rod that went to the bottom and I hand lined my rod & reel back in :hihi:
The reel is off being rebuilt now !

Bob Thomas
05-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Looks like mine for a few weeks ago ;) Remember...."Knit 1, pearl 2" :smash::fury:

islander
05-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks for that shot, Doesn't leave me with warm and fuzzy feeling plugging with the new calcutta. I always bring a back up rod anyway.

quick decision
05-29-2009, 06:12 PM
I've got a much better one than that.

Last sunday I had 6 guys aboard for a cod charter.
I'm using brand new Shimano Travela jiggin rods, paired with Shimano Torium reels, spooled with 65lb power pro.
I cast a 24 oz jig up current, the reel starts making some grinding noise, about a few hundred ft of line gets out and the reel locks up and the rod/reel flies out of my hands, straight down in 200 ft of water.
I hit a MOB on the plotter and we spend quite a while with another jig trying to snag it with no luck.
After a while I give up and am bummed as thats about $400 donated to the ocean. :fishslap:
We go back to fishing and are catching good size cod when one of the guys says "I've got a good one coming up"
I'm waiting with gaff in hand as he reels it up and to my amazement he snagged the jig of my rod that went to the bottom and I hand lined my rod & reel back in :hihi:
The reel is off being rebuilt now !

that is a great story

JohnR
05-29-2009, 07:17 PM
"The Line Runneth Over"

Mike P
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
I used to be a hero myself once, because we all know that conventionals build character ;)

Spinning reels tend to reduce your down time Canal-side :humpty:

ProfessorM
05-29-2009, 08:10 PM
I agree and am in the process of getting a spinning set up eventually this year. Will still have the conv. with me but want 1 of each.

Yes Peter it did cause some stress for sure

surfcrazy1
05-29-2009, 08:19 PM
i don't feel so bad about nests anymore
but the question is--DID YA CATCH ANYTHING
:gu:

fumifish
05-29-2009, 08:57 PM
those birds nests always happen to me when the fish are up and im in a hurry...

gone fishin
05-29-2009, 10:58 PM
:(Numby, I feel for you. I also fish with conv. only and have had thesame thing happen with 50 pound power pro. The reel looked like a fuzzy green grapefruit. I swapped reels and took it out at home. If I don't miss my guess, that doesn't happen to Numby very often.

By the way .. who snapped and posted the shot of you digging this one out?

Paul, I am still waiting for one of your custom picks that you made just for this purpose.:(

HESH2
05-30-2009, 06:06 AM
don't fish with conventionals but fish next to a great fisherman who does.he carries a safety pin with him always for when whip lash happens.if that does'nt work he pulls out spare reel he carries with him.

Backbeach Jake
05-30-2009, 07:34 AM
I used to be a hero myself once, because we all know that conventionals build character ;)

Spinning reels tend to reduce your down time Canal-side :humpty:

Me too, a foul tempered filthy mouthed character.....The dog looks like she wants to cry...

Adam_777
05-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I get small ones once in a while.Only when not paying attention and trying to lay into it a bit more.Since I magged most of my reels this off season they seem to cooperate much more.That was until I tried to perform an OTG cast for no real reason but to see if it would improve my distance.The plug went quite a ways after the leader snapped and the braid dug in on itself.I removed the reel from the rod and went to the car put on some tunes and had it operational in about 20 mins.I'll stick with my old reliable cast rather than the fancy ones.90 mins my head would be spinning and blood pressure off the charts.I still use spinning reels under certain conditions.I like them both and they both have a purpose in my arsenal.You can get mag kits pretty cheap and if your semi mechanically inclined they are simple to install.Especially on ABU's.

BigBo
05-30-2009, 07:29 PM

Man. You'd think it was brain surgery or something. :rotflmao:

ThrowingTimber
05-30-2009, 11:02 PM
ocd is getting the best of you. Carry a spare :hee:

stiff tip
05-31-2009, 07:09 AM
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/Quissett/backlashfull1.jpg
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/Quissett/backlashfull2.jpg
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq108/Quissett/backlashfull3.jpg

george..... i know you are having a great time w/ your conv. rod n reel, because you told me about 6 times how you enjoy casting and fishing your jazzed up 6500 reel and a 11-6 ziplex rod:musc: . but tell me? is it about 10 2 1 4 u when it comes to casting and fishing.that is about 10 min of pickin to one min of fishing ..george get a bike , get a power rod n spinning reel for casting for distance .and learn to fish all those fancy wooded plugs at the canal ...remember you don't got 2b smart to cast 4 distance but it helps 2b pretty:kewl:.....its a good thing the dog helped you or you would never would have got that birds nest out....:rotflmao:

numbskull
05-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Gotta take the bad with the good in life. Sitting by the canal on a quiet peaceful (until Dave came by anyways) morning face down in a reel isn't that bad on the grand scale of things. Frustration is a big part of fishing. Anger is Frustration's evil shadow. We don't go fishing to get angry. But we often go fishing to escape frustration elsewhere in our lives, and when it sneaks up on you and finds you anyways all can quickly get ruined. So backlashes, snapped off plugs, lost fish, fishless trips,......hell, even broken boats, parking tickets, guys in your spot,.....in a way we usually don't think about, makes fishing all the richer. Or so I keep telling myself. :1poke:

Mr. Sandman
05-31-2009, 07:52 AM
At least you have daylight and good eyes.

Backbeach Jake
05-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Gotta take the bad with the good in life. Sitting by the canal on a quiet peaceful (until Dave came by anyways) morning face down in a reel isn't that bad on the grand scale of things. Frustration is a big part of fishing. Anger is Frustration's evil shadow. We don't go fishing to get angry. But we often go fishing to escape frustration elsewhere in our lives, and when it sneaks up on you and finds you anyways all can quickly get ruined. So backlashes, snapped off plugs, lost fish, fishless trips,......hell, even broken boats, parking tickets, guys in your spot,.....in a way we usually don't think about, makes fishing all the richer. Or so I keep telling myself. :1poke:

I like that, thanks. It'll save a lot of argueing with myself.

Flaptail
05-31-2009, 08:17 AM
The best is in the deep night on a quiet rocky shore when suddenly to your left several hundred feet away you hear "F^&k!!!!!!!!!" a snap and a splash a good distance from the beach and the the little LED light comes on and you wacth the light move back up on shore and for fifteen minutes (in the meantime I have hooked and landed a couple fish) you see the light stationary and focused on one spot while curses of a very descript and creative nature come wafting along the shoreline.

Sometimes that sound and sight just brings the whole night together.:D

numbskull
05-31-2009, 10:13 AM
The best is in the deep night on a quiet rocky shore when suddenly to your left several hundred feet away you hear "F^&k!!!!!!!!!".................

That would have been my evil twin. He has yellow teeth and forgets bug spray.

OLD GOAT
05-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Thought you would like to know that your not the only one. PS I found that carrying tin snipers was a big help. Don,t give up.

Backbeach Jake
05-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Flap follows me around....

JamesJet
05-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Frustration is a big part of fishing. Anger is Frustration's evil shadow. We don't go fishing to get angry. But we often go fishing to escape frustration elsewhere in our lives, and when it sneaks up on you and finds you anyways all can quickly get ruined. So backlashes, snapped off plugs, lost fish, fishless trips,......hell, even broken boats, parking tickets, guys in your spot,.....in a way we usually don't think about, makes fishing all the richer. Or so I keep telling myself. :1poke:

I really this comment - nice wording.
As far as conventional - I just bought a 1209 matched it with an emblem pro combo as my new jigging combo. It throws very well and really can stop a fish - but I still have to get used to it for actually jigging. I am used to a nice feel for letting line out with the Abu and I just have to adjust. I am not a 100% convert for all applications but I am getting there.

Chris in Mass
05-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Ooof. Tough one Numbskull. I do like your Zen like view on fishing - I'll have to remind myself of that when the chips are down. A couple of guys in this post gave me quite a bit of information on canal rods and I went with the Emblem, after thinking that I needed a conventional to cast like the big boys. After seeing your pictures and knowing how I am with gear, I shutter to think how many times that would be me :err:

NIB
06-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Geo,It's a good thing ur a surgeon..:eek:
I hope you keep doing what makes you happy..:uhuh::jump1:

SAUERKRAUT
06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Geo,It's a good thing ur a surgeon..:eek:
I hope you keep doing what makes you happy..:uhuh::jump1:

Nib, the Numbskull is a cardiologist so he doesn't have to work for his living.

eastendlu
06-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Nib, the Numbskull is a cardiologist so he doesn't have to work for his living.

I just had an infartion reading this.....:laughs: