View Full Version : What Would You Do?

Finaddict
05-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Ever find anything interesting on the rocks or beach washed up by the sea?

I have found lures, knifes and fishing rods and reels in the past ... nothing overly in good shape or worth anything ... but curious to know what others have found on the beach ...

... anyone every find cash? Or if you found a wallet, not from a local person, but someone from states and states away ... loaded with cash ... would you keep it or return it?

It would be tempting to keep the dough, but would probably drop it off at the local police department so they could deal with it.

Saltheart
05-31-2009, 11:53 AM
If the wallet had some ID in it I would try to contact the person.

As far as other flotsum and jetsom I have found many many lures , too many ground fishing rigs to count. I periodically find an earing.

The other thing I like to find is lucky stones. How do you know they are lucky? If they catch your eye and you take them home , that's about as lucky as a stone can get! :)

Clammer
05-31-2009, 12:35 PM
I found alot of [stuff] while digging /

besides fishing gear , anchors, etc,

I have two clay pipes , that were dug in the same area two weeks apart , never got one for the 20 years before or since.

we all have dummy lead bombs ,that we have dug up .

I dug upa warret once .. it had $11 in it .. it was in the black soupy mud .. no id . just a couple of plactic cards / that you couldn,t read / anyway /I had to go to a bank to exchange the money . it was sooooo black no one would take it ..

:hang:

basswipe
05-31-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a buddy that found a body...now that's interesting.

joe the plumber
05-31-2009, 01:02 PM
I once found a message in a bottle at Watch Hill Light which was thrown in the drink by a 6th grade science class from Long Island.I found it a week after thier message was dated.
It contained questions for the person who found it and a mailing address to the school from which it came.Cool project for those kids.

Backbeach Jake
05-31-2009, 01:25 PM
I've found clay pipes, knives, pliers, a horse's tooth, meteorites, quartz chrystals, eyeglasses, pottery sherds, pilot whale vertebrate, but not one thin dime while digging bait. If I found anything of value especially with some sort of ID, I'm honor bound to return it.

Offshore24
06-01-2009, 06:25 AM
It's not the a sea story but is got water in it.

My wife lost her engagement ring at a soccer game a few years back. She didn't know it at the time (where she lost it that is). A middle school kid sees something shiny in a puddle (the water part) and shows it to his moms. She tells him it's very valuable and sees the jewlers name engraved on the inside. Brings it to them (local) and they look at the number on the rock, look it up in their book and call us up to see if we lost it! We looked everywhere for that thing for a couple of weeks. I disected several vacuum bags and cleaned out cars, boats, the garage, wandered the lawn, a pool, you name it. We'd given up. So, my wife meets up with the mom and the son, gives him a hug, thanks them, gives him a reward (she had to insist they take it) and gets he engagement ring back.....

So, I'd return the wallet and the money. :)

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Found a body underneath a bridge. He wasn't in the water he was on the pilings with his arm hanging off. From the story I got if he didn't do it himself someone else was. I also found a loomis last year snorkeling a reef. Besides that just the normal crap.

Jenn
06-01-2009, 05:31 PM
I found alot of [stuff]
I dug upa warret once .. it had $11 in it .. it was in the black soupy mud .. no id . just a couple of plactic cards / that you couldn,t read / anyway /I had to go to a bank to exchange the money . it was sooooo black no one would take it ..

:hang:

Clammer....what the F^$^#& is a Warret??? And the black soupy mud may have been something other than mud you know.....:fishslap:

oh yeah...the usual....a few lures, bouys, cell phones, dog crap. I enjoy collecting sea glass. Got a nice big glassfull on the shelf.

spence
06-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Walked up on a very large whale carcass one night, which in the dark and blobbing back and forth in the wash is a pretty freaky sight. Couldn't tell what it was until I was right on it. Didn't smell and the bones were huge.

Another night I was walking along a rocky shore after a big swell in some thick fog and happened upon thousands and thousands of small shoes thrown all about the shore. All that was left were the rubber soles...In the fog I thought I could hear the voices of children whispering in the bushes on the ridge, but it could have been my imagination.

Before I completely melted down I called RIROCKHOUND (or Nebe, can't remember) who informed me that a freighter of shoes dumped off of Newport some years ago. Perhaps the heavy seas churned them up but I'm still convinced it was the Kraken.

Man that was freaky.

-spence

tattoobob
06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
If there was ID in the wallet It would go back to the owner, forget the police, can't trust them (sorry swimmer)

can't say I ever found anything out of the ordinary

Chris in Mass
06-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Found this in South County last year:

JohnnyD
06-05-2009, 08:21 AM
... anyone every find cash? Or if you found a wallet, not from a local person, but someone from states and states away ... loaded with cash ... would you keep it or return it?

It would be tempting to keep the dough, but would probably drop it off at the local police department so they could deal with it.

If the person was from New Jersey, I'd keep the money and consider it payment for pain and suffering of them crossing my lines off the beach.

PaulS
06-05-2009, 08:31 AM
If it was a couple of $000, I'd try to call the guy. If it was many $0000, I'd give it to the police and hope it was drug money and somehow I'd be given it after a while.