View Full Version : Favorite Red Sox Player?

Nate
05-31-2009, 12:12 PM
This thread is for everyone to post your favorite Red Sox player for any of the past years of Baseball. You may also post about this years team. Do they have what it takes to win the World Series again?

- My Favorite Player -

Jacoby Ellesbury;
He is a semi-new player to the Red Sox. He was pulled up from the Pawtucket team last year to play Center Field. Since then he has done some wonderful things for the Red Sox. With his speed on the bases we've seen him do many things. He has many stolen bases in this past year. The most amazing thing that I've seen him do is steal Home Plate.

Your turn.

redneck24
05-31-2009, 01:36 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProfessorM
05-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Got 2, Yaz and the Spaceman

nightfighter
05-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Got 2, Yaz and the Spaceman

Ditto. One the consumate professional, the other you just have to love his zest for life and putting baseball in perspective....

redneck24
05-31-2009, 06:18 PM
dwight evans, jim rice, mike greenwell

Mike P
05-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Tony Conigliaro. If he didn't get beaned, he would have been a lock for 600 HR and a spot in Cooperstown.

He was the youngest player ever to reach 100 HR.

ProfessorM
05-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Yes he was another on my short list. I still have the Sports Illustrated with the nasty picture of him on the cover. What a shame.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/8183/index.htm

Raider Ronnie
05-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Current player, Youkilis
Retired player, Pudge Fisk
Pitcher, Louis Tiant

Redsoxticket
05-31-2009, 09:54 PM

The Dad Fisherman
06-01-2009, 05:53 AM
All-Time....Dwight Evans

Current....Gotta be Pedroia....kids got the biggest heart in the Game

ThomCat
06-05-2009, 06:32 AM
:grins:Teddy Ballgame, Yaz, El Tiante, Dewey, Rice, Pedro, Pedie, Ukk & Mike Lowell-simply he's the consumate professonal ball player, a class act.:cheers2:

Dad 818
06-05-2009, 09:57 AM
ALL TIME: Carlton Fisk

CURRENT: Jason Bay

Uncle Matt
06-12-2009, 09:40 AM
I loved the way Fred Lynn played center field. He would crash into the wall and even manage to get up a few times.

But I have to go with Dwight Evans. He had a hell of an arm in his day and he's the epitomy of what a professional ball player should be. As a kid I had a glove with Dewey's signature so I'm kind of biased!

Joe
06-13-2009, 09:25 AM
This is the most professional team with respect to makeup I've seen the Red Sox field. Current....I really can't pick between Youk, Pedroia...I love those grinding 10+ pitch at bats that wear down the opposition. That's what they did last night to Philly - they made the game about depth in the bullpen. Dwight Evans is my favorite all time player.

BigFish
06-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Dewey, Rice, Lynn, Pudge, Rooster, Rico, Boomer, El Tiante', Spaceman, Eck,.......my favorite all-time player was Yaz! I caught him late in his career but his work ethic was something to aspire to and his skills were not "God Given"......he worked his ass off to become the ballplayer he was! I watched him alot growing up since about 74'. His last season I saw his last opening day, his last 3 games and was front row visitors side on deck circle for Yaz Day ceremonies. 5 years later I was in Cooperstown for his induction ceremony along with Johnny Bench, Harry Carey, Red Scheondist and Al Barlick. It was a great day! Just a huge Yaz fan! They don't build them like that anymore.......though Pedroia is darn close!

jordan
07-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Even though I'm from The Bronx & a YANKEE FAN.
I really enjoyed watching Dwight Evans gun runners down from right field.
Jim Rice, I can not believe he is not in the hall yet.

ProfessorM
07-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Now you are in the right forum.

Even though I'm from The Bronx & a YANKEE FAN.

I'll say it again, You poor misguided soul. They probably started you young though so not your fault.

jordan
07-03-2009, 08:35 PM
I'll say it again, You poor misguided soul. They probably started you young though so not your fault.

You think I was going to root for the Mets:yak:
You guys are the misguide souls. You only have one team.
In New York we have two teams for every sport.

Duke41
07-03-2009, 09:06 PM
All Time Ted Williams

current YOUKKKK

ProfessorM
07-03-2009, 09:06 PM
For a long time I felt like the misguided soul but our fortunes finally changed a little. All you need is one team per sport. Less flip flopping. Get behind them for life. Besides if it weren't for the giants you may need to get 3 teams per sport.

jordan
07-04-2009, 05:02 AM
For a long time I felt like the misguided soul but our fortunes finally changed a little. All you need is one team per sport. Less flip flopping. Get behind them for life. Besides if it weren't for the giants you may need to get 3 teams per sport.

I don't flip flop between teams.
I'm not a Gaint or Jet fan,
I root for the RAIDERS:bl:

ProfessorM
07-04-2009, 08:50 AM
oh you are so misguided,and used to misery too. You and Raider Ron can commiserate during the NFL season.

slow eddie
07-04-2009, 09:02 AM
one must feel a little sorry for a person with an autograph pic of al davis in the abode.
dwight evans, defense
jim rice, offense
how many people have you ever heard of who broke his bat on a check-swing??

ProfessorM
07-04-2009, 09:56 AM
and many golf drivers too

jordan
07-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm also a Rangers fan.:laugha:
I guess the next one will move me up in your book

I'm a Celtics fan.!!!!!!!!!:jump:
Being Irish, I had no choice!!!

ProfessorM
07-05-2009, 07:20 PM
LOL. Good for you. Me too Irish. That is a curse in itself. I would expect you couldn't root for the Knicks as they have been in such a shambles for many a year. Such a shame for the mecca of round ball to have such a non competitive team. Kind of like when I was a Pats fan and we were the door mat of the league and thus I became a part time fan of the Cowboys in late 60's. Still like them but I will always root for the home team no matter how awful they are and they haven't been very awful in the last decade, except letting the Giants win one:rolleyes:

jordan
07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
ProfessorM
I was just starting to like you, then you tell your a Cowboy fan:rotflmao: Talk about being misguided:rotflmao:

ProfessorM
07-07-2009, 07:57 AM
LOL. Believe me I get a lot of grief from friends for admitting that one.

FishermanTim
07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Bob Stanley - had the worst job as a middle reliever.
He did his job well, and never got credit for it.
(When I say "did his job well" I mean he got the batters to hit balls on the ground. The infield defense wasn't too stellar towards the end of his career, so it made him look "ineffective")

Dwight Evans for his rocket from right field.

Jim Rice for his power.

Louis Tiant for his domination from the mound.

Bill Lee for visiting "earth" from time to time.

BMEUPSCOTTY
07-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Wakefield-- He has done all they have ever asked him to do, for a long time, never cried about being left off a playoff roster, and is having a pretty darn good year.
Pedroia-- what's not to like about him?
Youklis-- same scrappy competitor type like Pedroia plus he looks like a Bombahttp://www.vocinelweb.it/faccine/biggrin/11.gif

BigFish
07-09-2009, 08:15 PM
one must feel a little sorry for a person with an autograph pic of al davis in the abode.
dwight evans, defense
jim rice, offense
how many people have you ever heard of who broke his bat on a check-swing??

Eddie....Jim Rice once homered on a check swing in Spring Training....FACT!

fishbones
07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Eddie....Jim Rice once homered on a check swing in Spring Training....FACT!

He was (in my best Boston accent) wicked strong.:musc:

True story - I once saw him drive the green on a par 5 and putt for double eagle. He missed the putt, but still eagled the hole.

FishermanTim
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Here's my one "true story" involving Jim Rice.

I had gone to a game with my girlfiriend and the Sox were down by a run with 2 out in the ninth, and Rice was up. He wasn't hitting like the Rice of old, but he could still produce on occaision.

Now bear with me - Coors Beer used to have a commercial during the late 80's that showed in one scene a couple leaving a ballgame (similar to the bleachers) and turning around when they hear the crowd roar.

My girl and I decided to leave because we didn't think Rice was going to do anything, since he had had one of those kinds of games, and as we were walking down the stairwell from the centerfield bleachers we heard the crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd and we, too, turned around and went back to our seats. Rice had tied the game with a solo homer, and the sox went on to win the game.

That's one of my most memorable times at Fenway.
Another was when we tossed Bob Stanley an ice cream bar (during a really hot day). We were sitting in dead-center field, first row, so we could see into the bullpen. We got his attention and asked if he would like something cold, and ice cream it was!

Oh, the good old days at Fenway, when every year was "The Year" they were going to go all the way.

Saltheart
07-22-2009, 06:10 PM
For players I have seen , Yaz , best all around player for the Sox. That guy could play the field as good as any and yet he was known as a hitter. Golden Glove , Tripple Crown. YAZ!

Current team , tough call , so many close , nice to have so many consistant contributors. I guess I am impressed that Bay came in here and made us a happy Manny was gone. I also like Elsbury and Pedroia and have a soft spot for Poppy even though he's not doing so well this year.

can they win it all...HELL YEAH!!!!!