View Full Version : "Secret Weapons , Another Fishing Story"

Saltheart
01-21-2003, 10:16 AM
There's a good thread on SOl about Reverse Atom lures and "secret weapons" in general. You might want to go read it.

I like fishing stories. This weekend at the Rod Builders Seminar , a lot of people recognized me as "Saltheart". Some knew me from posting here but many knew me from the stories and "how to" articles I used to write on the WMI Surf Fishing Message Board starting about 5 years ago and ending when we all moved over to SOl and here. I was surprised at how many people remembered the Stories! People like a good fishing story.

The topic reminded me of this story
************************************************** **************************************************

It is funny the way the word on secret Weapons spreads. I remember once about 10 years ago , my friend Chris from NJ and I were fishing Charletown and Westerly RI in the fall. We were having some success at night with rigged eels but couldn't get the fish in the big schools to hit in the daytime. You've all seen it. There were a million fish but they weren't biting.

We were looking around at Capt Don's which was in Westerly (not there anymore) . The question , "What's Hot?" , came up from every guy who walked in the store. The answere...that day....was Creek Chubs. The Creek Chub poppers to be specific. He had a whole wall full of them. It looked like he hadn't sold 3 all season long. Every hook on the peg board was totally full.

The way it started was that someone said they saw someoONE get ONE on the blue and silver Creek Chub popper. Probably the only fish they saw caught all day! Well , as fish stories get told , they tend to change in each telling.

Then it became EVERYONE is getting them on the blue and silver Creek Chub poppers . Then it was everyone was getting them on ANY Creek Chubs in general. Then it was the ONLY thing working that weekend was a Creek Chub.

This all happened in an hour while we were hanging around and waiting for a reel to be filled with new line. As the story continued , the Creek Chubs just disappeared off the wall! He must have sold 150 Creek Chubs in that hour.

Now we were there right from the start. We had heard the whole thing as the story changed and got exagerated. But you know what ? Before we left , we grabbed a couple of Creek Chub Poppers ourselves! :)

Well the next day , people actually were catching fish on Creek Chub Poppers. Of course , it was the Self Fulfilling Prophecy. Since about 150 Creek Chub poppers were now suddenly being thrown at the fish , doesn't it make sense that people caught some on Creek Chubs??!!! :)

It dawned on me what a gullible bunch striper fisherman can be when the fish haven't been biting. We'll buy anything that someone says is working.

Anyway , if you like stories , go over and read the thraed on SOL. Especially the one by Carl at Cape Cod Charlie's (Angler#1). Some good stuff there.

Slipknot
01-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Saltheart, you are right, that is a great thread. And I happen to speak to Carl today and he told me all about it and even showed me the reverse and talked about it's history and what to do to rewire them when they get worn , and to only use stainless split rings so the electrolosis won't follow from the hook thru the ring and attack the wire. Fishing is his life and it's wonderful that he is so willing to share his knowledge. An amazing individual for sure. You kinda remind me of him as a matter of fact :D

Saltheart
01-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks Slip. Being compared to Angler 1 is putting me in good company! :)