View Full Version : Month of May review

Back Beach
06-01-2009, 12:24 PM
C'mon spit it out, I know you want to. Lets see some pics and hear some stories.

I started the month off with a new PB largemouth bass that went about 8# and got some decent stripers too. I would rate it as much better than last may for surf caught stripers up my way.

Now a funny story......

Last week while fishing I happened onto a nice big school of herring with one of my buddies. Fish were crushing them and it was fun just watching. A short while later we're bailing fish and a young guy comes along on a bike. He looked a lot like a friend of mine from this site, so I yelled up to him, "Come on down dude, it's a good bite." The guy looked a little bewildered and took his time getting down to me despite the repeated encouragement I gave him. As he got closer I realized he was a complete stranger and must have thought I was a freak. :laugha: He came over, intoduced himself to us and joined in the fray. I was kind of chuckling to myself over the miscue, but we had a great time. Short while later, my two regular fishing buddies show up and ask why the guy is fishing so close to me. When I tell them the story we all break into laughter. Near the end of our session the guy is getting ready to take off and thanks me for the invite. My partner says to him, "We'll see you tomorrow, AND COME ALONE!!!" :laugha: Anyways, here's a couple pics...

Sea Dangles
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I took a guy fishing and he caught a 50#.

Back Beach
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Couple more pics of the fray....fish were literally right at my feet. I think a couple slapped me on the ankle...cool stuff.

Sea Dangles
06-01-2009, 12:40 PM
I had the same experience while fishing with my oldest son Memorial Day. Blueback herring,adult and juvenile pogies,all kinds of goodies at the buffet line.They were literally being chased up onto the rocks. Between the two of us we released over 30 fish in the 20-30 lb. class. Tim did all the casting and retrieving himself and had to work hard to reel in a 28# with a rod that would be happier with a schoolie on the end of it.I suck at catching schoolies but did manage some bass that are considered respectable in certain circles.

t.orlando
06-01-2009, 01:40 PM
The Dangles crew in action doubled up.

t.orlando
06-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Finally stuck my camera in for a few shots. Was always a little nervous about intentionally dipping it, but think I'm gonna get some good shots this year.

Bronko
06-01-2009, 02:01 PM
The Dangles crew in action doubled up.

Great picture. Hope to do that someday with my boys. :kewl:

Back Beach
06-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Finally stuck my camera in for a few shots. Was always a little nervous about intentionally dipping it, but think I'm gonna get some good shots this year.

Wow, those came out a lot better than I thought. Gonna have to start dunking mine.

tynan19
06-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Nice Pics Guys! T, looks like I will be taking pics of you lying on the ground trying to get the right shot.

ProfessorM
06-01-2009, 03:04 PM
The month was very good even before the canal bite. It is my favorite time to fish as top water is the rule where I go. The canal was icing on the cake, unfortunately I saw many more large fish caught than I was able to land but still had a blast fishing with all the guys and experiencing the action. Great pictures guys.

Slingah
06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Better than normal May for me...started off with 30" fish right off the bat locally and moved up to larger fish within a week..
I like the late starts. now..I used to be chomping at the bit and get going too early only to be let down with multiple skunkings and laying a hurtin' on too many dinks.
I am going to give my camera a dunk soon too....nice pictures guys...

t.orlando
06-01-2009, 03:44 PM
My new wife also got her first ever striper, a nice 22-23# fish.

tynan19
06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Tony, great catch!

Rob Rockcrawler
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Best may ive ever had for consistant action. I had 2 rough schoolie skunkings around the 1st of the month, then it got good. I decided to take my vacation around the new moon and it worked out pretty damn good.

keeperreaper
06-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Usual May, no monsters a bunch of quantity days and few quality fish. Personally I think it is similar to last year. This week should be a telltale sign.

RIJIMMY
06-01-2009, 04:19 PM
wow.....Im afraid to break all the good news, I guess I know which way the fish went. Early May was loaded with topwater action on fish 24-34" lots of fun, but was expecting the bigger fish as the month progressed. The last few weeks have been slow, one fish trips with nothing over 15lbs and way too many bluefish around. Last year I had a number of 20+lb fish each trip. Still have had some good times.
Heres my story - last week I was livelining a bunker in the fog. As I was wathing it swim around, I could have sworn I saw a popper right behind it, I looked around, no boats and no one on shore. I could see the red mouth popping right behind my bunker. I reeled in to find a brand new, no rust, no scratches yozuri surface cruiser on a wire leader wrapped around my bunker. Nice grab

JohnR
06-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Had a great night out with BP (not at the Canal) and then figured I would sleep in and missed the canal :bl: Not the 30s and up some ran into at the ditch but one of a few one night up to the mid 20s

numbskull
06-01-2009, 05:02 PM
It has been an off year down my way. The day the canal went wild I spent plugging the Elizabeths with my oldest son...... and caught one 15lb bass. He doesn't get to fish with me often, and when he does it always sucks. Boy does it bother me.....but such is life.

Circlehook
06-01-2009, 05:41 PM
I have never caught so many fish in one week in my life. I only got to taste last years canal mayhem for one day, but I got in on this one a few times.

Lost a monster on wednesday that I feel pretty bad about, not sure what I did wrong.

Biteme
06-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Took my son out a couple of weeks ago, skipped school. All on top with light tackle. I think this year is off, but theres still plenty of fish.

Bronko
06-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Had a great night out with BP (not at the Canal) and then figured I would sleep in and missed the canal :bl: Not the 30s and up some ran into at the ditch but one of a few one night up to the mid 20s

I know that grass and that hay!:hidin:

striperman36
06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Tony, great catch!

The wife or the fish?

nightfighter
06-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Shore out front has been skunk so far up here for me. The boat fishing is heating up, some macks, but waiting for the pogies/bunker for my favorite time of fishing. I did bring one home last night for a family dinner. Lightly fried in panko flakes! Excellent way to cook it, if you haven't tried it.

TO, what kind of camera takes those underwater shots???? Those are great! As are the wife's shot too. I saw the shot of Chris with his son hooked up earlier. Very cool. Wish I had one like that with my son, and or daughter......

capecodkid
06-01-2009, 06:31 PM
My May was great. Got my first of the season on May 2nd and it just got better every weekend from there on. TONS of 28-30" fish on unweighted plastic on the surface the next weekend. That bite lasted a week or two. After that we had excellent fishing in the CCB marshes with fish to 36" on flies/LT. I fished the canal Monday Afternoon of the blitz and got fish to 36" then skipped school Tuesday and had fish to 25lbs on every cast. :kewl: Then CCB busted wide open this past weekend with fish on the surface to 40". I know none of these fish are huge but 90% of my fishing is LT/Fly. One of my best May's in terms of 28-36" fish.

BMEUPSCOTTY
06-01-2009, 06:55 PM
ditto most of the above posts.... good numbers of fish in the 32"-35" inch range, and a handful of mid 20#rs, both in the ditch and down this way... Good May (for me)... Good pix guys.... Glad to see Mikes wrist is good enough to fish, or was that pre-injury? I missed that...

Moses
06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I have mixed reviews. My early season schoolie haunts from shore didn't produce. But my early season boat haunts did.

First decent fish came mid month from boat as expected. But canal has been somewhat slower this year than last. I just didn't pick my times or locations right, oh well.

I really hope the next ten days produce some quality fish for me.

tynan19
06-01-2009, 09:50 PM
The wife or the fish?

The Wife :fishin:

BrianS
06-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I went out a grand total of twice... the first time I didnt really expect to catch.. far too early..

the second time I got an 18lber and 12lb blue.. in a short trip... so i was pleased..
i also got to help Notaro get his personal best to date... never seen anyone so excited.. it was awesome..

im hitting it HARD this weekend.. along with 9 billion other people i am sure.. just need to find someone to hang with so my wife doesnt freak me being there alone...

Notaro
06-02-2009, 12:20 AM
I went out a grand total of twice... the first time I didnt really expect to catch.. far too early..

the second time I got an 18lber and 12lb blue.. in a short trip... so i was pleased..
i also got to help Notaro get his personal best to date... never seen anyone so excited.. it was awesome..

im hitting it HARD this weekend.. along with 9 billion other people i am sure.. just need to find someone to hang with so my wife doesnt freak me being there alone...

I'll be there to hang out with you. =D

jettyjockey18
06-02-2009, 03:45 AM
my first 4 or 5 trips out this may produced one 2-lb bluefish (from a southside cape beach), then i hit the canal last tuesday and caught fish until my arms fell off, including my first 40lber...all released...

HESH2
06-02-2009, 07:42 AM
best may i ever had not in numbers caught but for a 2 week peroid all fish caught were pretty much keepers.

t.orlando
06-02-2009, 08:18 AM
TO, what kind of camera takes those underwater shots???? Those are great! As are the wife's shot too. I saw the shot of Chris with his son hooked up earlier. Very cool. Wish I had one like that with my son, and or daughter......

Just using an older Pentax Optio

ThrowingTimber
06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Best May ever for me numbers wise and quality of fish. Got the take the girls out trout fishing early in the month with some success. Didnt get out for largemouth as much as I would have liked to. Managed some nice fish on topwater just fishing for fun and had a blast. Got serious about it and have been in high teen mid twenty pound hell :wall: I'm not complaining but theres so many you have to weed through to get a decent fish you start wondering if the same fish just keeps coming back :( Been in the boat the passed 3 days havent been able to break 24 they dont count for me though as i just registered for the shore div. so really Im seeing it more for the fun aspect and not overly serious. Supposed to be on the boat now but I got off downtown to rest up and gear up for tonight :devil2:

At the rhode island school of design print shop now but when I wind up the vaca. I should have a few pictures of some decent fish and some real nice pictures of releases. Going to burn the candle at both ends until saturday then rest sunday. Back to work monday 4 12hr days then off friday for cutty. then back to the 70hr work week until sept oct :jump1: