View Full Version : Pending Beach Closures

Sweetwater
06-01-2009, 02:19 PM
According to the National Park Service, they expect Race Point South beaches to close tomorrow (June 2) and Race Point North beaches to close on June 8. There may be some limited access at High Head or off the Pole Line road after those dates. My comment re: piping plovers is... :cens:

Bronko
06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Nauset South closed yesterday for at least 30 days. Glad I went down and got my sticker for $185 last weekend.:deadhorse:

Adam_777
06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
I see these birds everywhere.Like on ramps on the highways and in fields.I doubt they are endangered or ever where.Sucks when they close the beach down.

SAUERKRAUT
06-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Why bother? For both these reasons, I elected not to buy a Race sticker this year. Now I will be forced to burn less gas, cover less highway miles, and fish more productive water.

Bronko
06-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Why bother? For both these reasons, I elected not to buy a Race sticker this year. Now I will be forced to burn less gas, cover less highway miles, and fish more productive water.

That's a great point, although my money wasn't spent for the fishing. Those beaches are all but gone with seals, lack of bait, mung etc... The only reason I get it at all is because My wife and the kids love it out there, we drive on in the morning and make a day of it. (I still bring a rod and plu bag just in case)

fishonnelsons
06-02-2009, 12:00 PM
At the risk of "well, you own a shop there etc etc etc........"

They closed the south side today, as expected, and if the birds hatch as expected in a few days, most of the north side will be shut by weeks end - no surprises.

L.I. Fish - on the kayak yesterday - which can be launched from just about ANYWHERE - keepers up to 39 inches. Twenty pounders at Coast Guard in Truro - hope I am not spot burning as Coast Guard is only a couple of miles long - but the guy WALKED on, no more than a few hundred yards, no need for an oversand pass.

Sorry for the piss-pot - birds, limited access, mung, seals - the list could go on - are here and elsewhere - but people still manage to catch some nice fish.

BigFish
06-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Gotta put in your time and fish smart down there! I am planning on spending more time down there this season. Buying a kayak to help get me to some better fishing if the beaches are slow! See you soon Rich...save some fish for me!:wave:

Back Beach
06-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Sorry for the piss-pot - birds, limited access, mung, seals - the list could go on - are here and elsewhere - but people still manage to catch some nice fish.

Great points and that's always been the case. No vehicles many times is a plus.

Blitzseeker
06-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Just got back from a trip out there with several other guys, before they closed the beaches. We all got multiple keepers, fish to 20 lbs plus. If you know what you're doing, and 9 out of 10 guys on this board do, you can still catch plenty of fish out there.....including in spots that are still reasonably accessable after they shut it down for the birds.

The trick is to keep trying different spots and methods. The fish are there, you just have to figure out how to catch them.

Sweetwater
06-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Rich (Fishonnelsons) is right. There are a lot of fish around. The closures are not stopping me, that's for sure.