View Full Version : best way to keep eels alive for a week

MrHunters
06-02-2009, 07:14 PM
got the better half of a dozen eels sitting in the basement. need them to last until Saturday ... currently in the three bucket system with ice dripping on EM. will they make it?:confused:

RIJIMMY
06-02-2009, 07:15 PM
a week is pushin it but they should, keep em damp.

Circlehook
06-02-2009, 07:35 PM
40 gallon rubermaid trash barrel, go to petsmart and buy an aquaclear 20 powerhead, add water, add eels, Keep a tight lid on, and keep in the coolest spot you can. change out 50% of the water every other day and fill up with cold water. Worked for me for keeping 2 dozen for over a week last summer. It is a budget version of what tackle shops use, not sure if tackle shops add any additives or not to the water.

kenyee
06-02-2009, 08:41 PM
lid is important...a friend tried keeping leftover eels in his garage and one escaped and was never found until the smell located it ;-)

Rob Rockcrawler
06-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I kept em for a week on block last october in the 3 bucket system, i dont think they would make it in the heat though. It was cold as a bastard out that week.

Fly Rod
06-02-2009, 08:46 PM
5gal. bucket, black or green trash bag unless you have a black bucket, cheap aquarium air pump - 12.00
Tie a stainless bolt or sinker on end of air tube so that it will stay in bottom of bucket, add fresh water, cover and they should last.
Change water every couple of days

If put in white bucket they will change color

I've had my cheap pump for about 15 years. Also use it to irrate clams to get sand out.

thefishingfreak
06-02-2009, 09:04 PM
find someplace to put them in the water.
a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, stab a bunch of holes in it, and tie them off your dock or mooring
We've hidden them under the cashman ramp tied to the dock for over a week in a steel minnow trap, just put a big rock in to sink it.

redlite
06-02-2009, 09:10 PM
120 qt cooler and 2 bags of ice at opposite end as drain hole. Put in shade. Jam a rag in so lid doesn't seal and drain water out morning and night and they'll be fine. Keep em alive for weeks on end this way. They have more room to move around than they do in the 3 bucket system and the ice lasts a lot longer.

Saltheart
06-02-2009, 10:44 PM
3 bucket should be fine as long as you keep ice in the top bucket. seaweed (i lik bubble weed) in the bucket with the eels helps them as they can rub off slime on the seaweed.

The Dad Fisherman
06-03-2009, 05:54 AM
3 bucket should be fine as long as you keep ice in the top bucket. seaweed (i lik bubble weed) in the bucket with the eels helps them as they can rub off slime on the seaweed.

I've kept eels alive 3 weeks using this method.....just make sure you keep freshening up the ice

RIROCKHOUND
06-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Use a large plastic container to freeze an an ice block and place that in the top bucket with some ice cubes. Make sure something damp is on the eels (wet rag works, sea weed is better...
keep them cold, damp and dark.
I keep them in the back of my truck in a smaller cooler with the drain open.
on really hot days pack a bag of ice around the bucket in addition to the stuff on top of the eels.. keeps the ambient temp down inside the cooler.

JFigliuolo
06-03-2009, 06:30 AM
I've kept eels for a week on vacation doing the following... put eels in tuperware/plastic container w/ice. make sure there are holes in the container so it can drain. Put container in cooler, elevated so it can drain... I've kept them for a week doing this. Just make sure as stated they stay damp cold and dark.

Krispy
06-03-2009, 08:05 AM
120 qt cooler and 2 bags of ice at opposite end as drain hole. Put in shade. Jam a rag in so lid doesn't seal and drain water out morning and night and they'll be fine. Keep em alive for weeks on end this way. They have more room to move around than they do in the 3 bucket system and the ice lasts a lot longer.

I never seen anyone kill off more eels than Redlite.
This all seems very complicated.
At home just use a 30gal or larger container with airator, short term just out them in a small cooler with a frozen water bottle and stick that in a large cooler. Long trips Ill just being the airator and drop it in the large cooler.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

EarnedStripes44
06-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I've kept eels alive 3 weeks using this method.....just make sure you keep freshening up the ice

diddo

lurch
06-03-2009, 03:59 PM
what I have done is hang the 3 bucket system on a plant pole/hanger, filll with bubble weed, attach a hose connector to the lid, close the lid, attach the hose to the connector and let the water trickle on the eels (make sure the water and slime drain out of the hole on the bottom).....eels will live for a MONTH and with the bucket hanging the critters cant mess with them inside.

5/0
06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I never seen anyone kill off more eels than Redlite.Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

LMFAO:rotf3:

MrHunters
06-03-2009, 06:17 PM
update
2 have fallen. I expected this since they were once at the end of my line for a good 30 minutes :)

all others are doing well. changing ice out ever morning.

lurch, that is a great idea. just have to convince someone that slime in the garden is a good thing :)

Nate
06-03-2009, 07:07 PM
What about Liquid Nitrogen? It'd flash-freeze them and keep them good for up to a year!

Clogston29
06-04-2009, 06:12 AM
kill'em and rig'em

nightprowler
06-04-2009, 07:29 AM
for 6 eels, take a 5 gal bucket with water in it and put a cheap aerator in. change the water every morning. or as someone else mentioned use a small cooler. I have kept 5-10 lbs of eels in a big fishing cooler for close to a month with 2 aerators from walmart (2nd is in case of failure). The more eels, the more frequent water changes are needed.
The three bucket system is great with the water too. Just lift the bucket with holes out, let the water drain, dump bottom bucket and refill. Makes changing the water very easy.

Striper_Haven_03
06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
A little late to this posting (been fishing and havent been on in awhile) but thought I would share my "make-shift" live well.

Stole my wifes large tupper-ware storage container (3'x1.5') = free, bought a cheap aquarium pump = $10.00 and airstone =$1.00 and Prime (which is a additive)= $10.00.

Add water half way to the top and then add Prime (1/4 capful)...add airstone to airpump and turn airpump on and eels will stay for over 2 weeks easy. I have had them stay 4 weeks this past fall using this system. The key is Prime...which removes Chlorine, Chloramine and Ammonia and Detoxifies Nitrites and Nitrates all in one bottle....one bottle will last you 3-4 years as the stuff is very concentrated. And water changes only once a week (25%). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LID FIRMLY ATTACHED!

I keep 2 dozen at all times in my basement at all times. And all this only cost $22.00, thats if you have a wife to steal from!

Good fishing,

Fireman

Crafty Angler
06-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Hmmm...interesting addition on using the Prime, SH03 - that isn't the blue stuff, is it...:huh:

I've got a half dozen eels left I've had for a week under bubbleweed using the 3 bucket system, forgot about 'em under the deck and checked 'em yesterday - still alive & kicking. Forgot to ice them for 2 days - of course, the cool rainy weather helped

The big trick I found using my 150 qt cooler for more than a dozen was putting in 2 frozen gallon jugs of water to keep the temp down to the low 40's - slows their metabolism waaay down and the colder water holds more oxygen - just use one of my old aquarium thermometers to check it pretty regularly

Definitely gonna try that Prime stuff, though - I would guess you can pick it up at an aquarium store.