View Full Version : deep hook sets?

Sgt_Nutz
06-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Been live lining mackerel for the last couple of weeks and every fish I have caught has been hooked deep in the throat calling for some work with the pliers. Fortunately I have been able to release short fish(you wouldn't believe the schoolies that can get down a mackerel) alive but I would like to get them back in the water sooner. I hook the mackerel half way between the nose and the first dorsal fin and have been using 6/0, 7/0 and 8/0 Gamakatsu hooks. I have tried both Octopus and Circle hooks with the same result. I am hoping with a little more experience I can tell the difference between the mackerel running and a bass running with it and set the hook sooner so it doesn't go so deep? Should I be rigging the bait differently? Any suggestions?

Saltheart
06-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Two things I can think of would be to move the hook closer to the dorsal fin and make up or buy a hook removal tool I assume the bass are taking the mackeral head first so moving th hook back on the bait fish will mean it gets set further towards the mouth of the bass.

A metal piece piece with a slot cut into one end about an inch long and wide enough to easily slide the hook shank into it could then be used to just push the hook back and out then turned and removed with the hook still in the slot. They may sell something similar , maybe check some web sites for hook removal tools.

Its kind of tough if you wait too long to ram it home as its going to be pretty deep. As you said , try to know when its a bass and set the hook sooner.

blue oyster
06-03-2009, 04:28 PM
try hooking macs through the nose with a circle hook and use a shorter time hook set , will you lose some fish yes but it will mostly be smaller fish .

Sgt_Nutz
06-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Mixed results today. Tried faster hook sets. Yes, I lost some fish but most of the ones I caught were hooked in the mouth. Don't know why I didn't think of moving the hook further back Saltheart. Will try that next time. And YES! They are definitely taking the macks head first. Oyster, I tried thru the nose, can't remember if I used a circle hook or not though. Same results, if I let them run to long before setting they are hooked deep. Dog doesn't seem to mind as she gets to lick them longer before they go back. :hf1: Good day today. Caught about a dozen fish. Kept one 33" fish for the table. Released the rest.

Thanks for the advice. :btu:

PRBuzz
06-04-2009, 08:44 PM
While on the live-lining subject, what's the best size fish and way to hook up a scup to attract a striper? Saw it mentioned in OTW.