View Full Version : Anybody Ever Break A Korker K-5000 Buckle?

Crafty Angler
06-04-2009, 09:02 AM
While I was suiting up the other night I walked a couple of feet and my right Korker started sliding off...went to snap the buckle and discovered it had broken...:huh:

WTF...given some of the spots around here that could literally be a fatal flaw, never have had that happen before.

I remembered I had an old pair in my tackle room, figured I'd take the old snap and buckle off that pair - it's a different snap - the old buckles were made by Fastex.

Also realized that the old Korkers had 2 sets of straps and buckles, one over the instep and one around the ankle...the newer pair I got just has one over the instep...:huh:

Anyway, anyone know where you might find replacement buckles for K-5000's?

My other option I guess would be retrofitting them with the straps and buckles from the old pair which involves getting a cobbler to sew the buckles to the webbing - there's gotta be a better fix than the bungee cord and duct tape I used that nite

Joe
06-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I got a whole box of replacement straps with buckles - I never got around to putting them up for sale and now I don't sell Korkers anymore. You can have one for free, come pick it up the next time you're dodging the bridge troll, or give me an address.

Crafty Angler
06-04-2009, 09:27 AM
You, Joe, are the best...:kewl:

And I can pay you handsomely in old fish pictures, too...:hihi:

Check your PM's - thanks again, you may have saved an old codger from a helluva good spill on the rocks - I may zoom to the mainland this afternoon for a pick-up if you'll be around...:ss:

WESTPORTMAFIA
06-04-2009, 10:00 AM
If there is an extra set I'll pay for them if you don't need the whole box. I been using duct tape. Thanks

MikeToole
06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Had mine for three years and the only buckle problem was when I ran one over with my car. Called Korkers and they sent a replacement, actually two, for free. Their web page also list them for sale at a small cost.

They will also sell the studs at a reduced cost if you buy a large number.

scottw
06-04-2009, 01:36 PM
haven't broken them but I've had them slide off and get lost, Walmart has straps and buckles in the camping section for about a buck or so....they are long straps so that you can replace the entire thing and even slide some rubber tube over the exposed section at the toe so that it won't wear...and I wrap the buckle ends crossed around the back of my ankle and then buckle them at the front of my ankle...they cannot come off when buckled that way...

Crafty Angler
06-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks, men - I took a ride across the Big Bridge to see Joe at Surfcasting Rhode Island and he squared me away with buckles - so I'm ready for night ops tonight.

Joe, thanks again - you're a lifesaver - literally...:kewl:

Besides, I don't have anyone to leave all my tackle to if I did go over the side - and Mrs Crafty's second post ever would be in the S-B Classifieds...

"Lots of Fishing Junk Cheap"...:laughs:

Fishnutz
06-04-2009, 04:24 PM
I didn't break a buckle,but I broke the loop that connects the buckle.only the second season with these.

Rob Rockcrawler
06-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I broke the loop that connects the buckle the second time i wore mine a few years ago. Tied a not in the strap and i was good to go. Im surprised the buckles have never opened up on me.

Pete_G
06-04-2009, 10:07 PM
This is one of many reasons I like the less expensive lace up model.

Crafty Angler
06-04-2009, 10:17 PM
For the technically oriented, the buckles on the older K-5000's that took a beating for years and never failed were Fastex SR-1's

The buckles that came with the new pair I got toward the end of last season appeared to be cheap knock-offs - sure glad I discovered that on the walk in rather than perched on a rock in a big swell in the dark...also known as the hard way...:shocked:

The replacement buckles and straps I picked up from Joe Lyons at SRI this afternoon were the stronger Fastex SR-1's -

Okay, alright, maybe a little much...but ya know, it might save someone stitches some night

Pt.JudeJoe
06-05-2009, 08:19 AM
This is one of many reasons I like the less expensive lace up model.

reasons 2&3 --they are lighter, and can fit more easily over wader boots

Crow
06-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I always have a few cable ties in the truck for just such a breakdown and since I don't take korkers off my boots the cable ties are still there and doing the job 2 years later.

Crafty Angler
06-05-2009, 11:47 AM
reasons 2&3 --they are lighter, and can fit more easily over wader boots

Wader boots...:huh:

What, you finally got rid of the low black Chuck Taylors...:rotflmao:

Hey, I've had more problems with those ladies-style K-1000's coming loose - once I got the K-5K's I never looked back - although I still have a pair for back-ups

Joe
06-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I switched to the less expensive models myself. If you wet the laces and tie them with the ball of your foot pressed up against a curb or a rock (so your foot bends back a little) you get a much better knot set. Still, I'm surprised that anything a fat fisherman wears on his feet while jumping on rocks works at all.