View Full Version : WTAG article on Saltwater License

UserRemoved1
06-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Patrick ya be famous now :hee:

Will registry fees cause many to cut bait?
Saltwater sport fishermen on the hook

By Jay Lindsay THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

[/URL]
http://www.telegram.com/graphics/one_pixel_transparent.gif
[URL="http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:NewWindow%28800,640,%27/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?url=/templates/zoom.pbs&Site=WT&Date=20090607&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=906070383&Ref=AR&caption=Eddie%20Pachucki%20of%20Raynham%20casts%20 his%20line%20recently%20from%20the%20banks%20of%20 the%20Cape%20Cod%20Canal%20in%20Bourne.%27%29;"]http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=WT&Date=20090607&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=906070383&Ref=AR&maxW=335 (http://208.112.77.53/submissions/article_comments_form.cfm?article_id=906070383&ISOPublishedDate=20090607&pbs_category=NEWS&article_headline=Will%20registry%20fees%20cause%20 many%20to%20cut%20bait?%20-%20%20-%20Saltwater%20sport%20fishermen%20on%20the%20hook %20-%20%20-%20%20-%20%20-%20%20-%20%20-)
Eddie Pachucki of Raynham casts his line recently from the banks of the Cape Cod Canal in Bourne.
(THE ASSOCIATED PRESS)
» Enlarge photo (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:NewWindow%28800,640,%27/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?url=/templates/zoom.pbs&Site=WT&Date=20090607&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=906070383&Ref=AR&caption=Eddie%20Pachucki%20of%20Raynham%20casts%20 his%20line%20recently%20from%20the%20banks%20of%20 the%20Cape%20Cod%20Canal%20in%20Bourne.%27%29;)

BOURNE — People have tossed hooks and lines into the New England tides since long before there was a Cape Cod Canal for Eddie Pachucki to fish in. So Pachucki, casting into the canal’s current for striped bass, couldn’t fathom why he’d soon owe the state for the privilege.

“They didn’t put the stripers there,” said the 31-year-old baker from Raynham. “Why should I pay to catch them?”

Starting in 2010, federal law requires all the nation’s saltwater fishermen to be registered, whether they fish from a boat, dock or the Cape canal’s rocky borders. Most states will collect an annual registration fee of about $10 to $25.

Fishery managers say the registry is needed because they don’t really know the number of saltwater fishermen or what they’re catching — but they could be reeling in enough fish to deplete popular stocks. A registry of anglers will help gather better catch information so fishery managers know if a species is being overfished and can make rules to protect it.

But the new requirement has met stubborn resistance in the Northeast.

Of the 21 coastal states in the continental United States, five haven’t approved a registry:Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine and New Jersey, even though the National Saltwater Angler Registry was originally supposed to be in place in January.

Many fishermen believe the fees won’t stay low and will ultimately fund free-spending state governments. They doubt it can provide accurate catch data. They also wonder why they’re being tracked when their catch is puny compared with heavily tracked commercial fishermen.

Maine state Rep. John McKane, a Newcastle Republican who’s opposed to the registry, says it’s just not the government’s business to know who’s picking up a rod and heading for surf.

“It requires people to go and get a certificate from the government for something they’ve always done, free as you please,” he said. “We’re losing our freedoms, they keep getting eroded one by one, and this is a big one.”

The registry was mandated in 2007, when the federal Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Act was reauthorized. There are various registry exemptions, including one for anyone under 16.

States get any proceeds if they design their own programs, which often involve collecting information for the registry when they issue a license. The fees pay for administrative costs and services such as public land acquisition for fishing. This week, Connecticut lawmakers became the latest to pass a registry, approving a bill that charges $10 to $15 for saltwater fishing licenses.

Gordon Colvin, a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration biologist who is leading the registry’s implementation, struggles to explain the regional resistance to the saltwater fishing registry.

“You know, I’m not quite sure of that,” he said. “It is odd. ... Part of it’s a New England kind of tradition of free access to fisheries”

Saltwater licenses have existed for years in other areas of the country, and in the Northeast, sportsmen already pay for freshwater fishing licenses. It’s no different to ask saltwater fishermen to pay to access public resources with money that will ultimately benefit them, Colvin said.

Bob Ballou of Rhode Island’s Division of Environmental Management doubts that sharp fee hikes or misuse of funds that some fear will ever happen, because fishermen won’t tolerate it.

“Politically, there would be a march on the Statehouse,” he said.

Today’s best estimates say the country’s 15 million to 25 million recreational fishermen catch around 257 million pounds of fish annually — less than 3 percent of the 9.4 billion pounds that commercial fishermen haul in. But Colvin said that includes more than half the catch of some popular Northeastern species, including striped bass and bluefish.

Right now, a key tool for counting fishermen and their catch is a scattershot phone survey that reaches a fisherman on one out of 20 calls on its best days, Colvin said. The registry will allow the fishermen to be targeted, vastly improving the survey’s estimates, he said.

Colvin said there’s no advantage for a fishermen to hide his catch if called: If regulators get a false picture of healthy stocks, harmful overfishing continues. If regulators believe things are worse than they are, overly tight restrictions might result.

Cape Cod fisherman Patrick Paquette, who’s on a committee that’s designing the Massachusetts registry, says it’s needed, but admits ambivalence. He believes new numbers could reveal there’s more recreational fishing than now estimated, and lead to tighter restrictions.

“We will suffer from the new data, make no mistake about it,” he said.

BasicPatrick
06-08-2009, 09:25 PM
We can show up, participate and control some of what we get in the end or we can sit in a corner, bitch, complain ad have no say at all.

My parents raised me to appreciate democracy and participate. I will make sure me and my friends are represented and at least get our say...then we will get screwed.

The Iceman 6
06-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Just picked up my CT license to fish. So now, I'll have pick up a RI and MA one as well. Good times.

The Dad Fisherman
06-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Just picked up my CT license to fish. So now, I'll have pick up a RI and MA one as well. Good times.

Its my understanding that the MA one has Reciprocity for both RI and NH.....Check and see if the same holds true for CT.

at any rate if you get the MA one you should be alright for RI

Swimmer
06-09-2009, 10:29 AM
We can show up, participate and control some of what we get in the end or we can sit in a corner, bitch, complain ad have no say at all.

My parents raised me to appreciate democracy and participate. I will make sure me and my friends are represented and at least get our say...then we will get screwed.

Well said Patrick.

BigFish
06-09-2009, 10:47 AM
My question is how are they going to know how many fish recreational fishermen are catching/keeping simply based on having a license???? Overfishing??? Recreational??? I think not. Sounds just like they are trumping up a reason to stick us for more dollars!!! What ever!

The Dad Fisherman
06-09-2009, 12:22 PM
My question is how are they going to know how many fish recreational fishermen are catching/keeping simply based on having a license????

They'll be giving you a call.....to chat

Mr. Sandman
06-09-2009, 02:59 PM
It is a sad day. But they need to know how many fishermen there are and what they are catching.

I think that if it turns out that there are simply too many fishermen they will simply increase the fees to control the number of fishermen. This gives them more money (read: Power and control) and cuts down on fishermen.

The "black market fishermen" will be huge, there will be an ignorance factor that will be exploited and there is no way this is enforced.

The sad part is we are funding our own demise.

Maybe it is a good thing to cut down on the number of fisherman...only the rich should be able to fish anyway right? No, Obama will create the fair fishing act, and give rebate coupons to the poor funded by the rich guys.

whatacounty.

I just want to go fishing....leave me the hell alone.

striprman
06-09-2009, 03:09 PM
So now, if I want to take my wife and 2 kids on a half day trip on Captain John (or some other party boat) its gonna cost me to buy a license, for all of them, for the one time a year I might go fishing ??
In addition to the "fare" and a tip for the mates.
:jump:

BasicPatrick
06-09-2009, 03:24 PM
No doubt the whole thing is a government fleecing.

We fought hard...give credit to Mike Bucko to get shore reciprocity for abutting states in the RI & MA bill.

Charter and Party boat customers do not need a state license as they buy a business license.

There is a FAQ on the msba web site

ivanputski
06-09-2009, 03:39 PM
you know what? write me the ticket... what's next, parking meters at my favorite night spot that accepts 10$ bills? I've always followed the regs, thrown every fish back if its even an 1/8" short... but I'm not paying to fish the OCEAN which they do not stock.... just write me the ticket... it's the only way I'll respect myself. Enough of my paycheck already goes to the general fund for "social programs"... I'm not giving 10$ more... that's right where its going... everyone says "i have no problem paying it if it's going to be reinvested in the management of the fishery" If that were the case, I'd be happy to contribute... BUT THATS NOT WHERE THE MONEY IS GOING!!!!

BigFish
06-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Good point?:hihi:

clamboy68
06-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Charge us $2.00 for it and tack it to our drivers license. Then send us a survey once a year. Which could be done on-line.

Other than that we are going to take it in the wallet as usual...

Welcome to MA where we tax ourselves worse than the British did!!!

bbrooks9933
06-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Well said Patrick.

Exactly its Bullsh*t!

bbrooks9933
06-11-2009, 03:30 PM
My question is how are they going to know how many fish recreational fishermen are catching/keeping simply based on having a license???? Overfishing??? Recreational??? I think not. Sounds just like they are trumping up a reason to stick us for more dollars!!! What ever!

Exactly its Bullsh*t! Are they going to call people and ask how much they caught this year or most likely they going to say everyone who has a license catches aprox 10 keepers a year or whatever. Which will be way off considering how many people buy a freshwater license just in case but maybe use it once a year. It will end up like the tolls keep raising the fee because they need to allocate money in other places in the state not for what it was originally intended.

BasicPatrick
06-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Exactly its Bullsh*t! Are they going to call people and ask how much they caught this year or most likely they going to say everyone who has a license catches aprox 10 keepers a year or whatever. Which will be way off considering how many people buy a freshwater license just in case but maybe use it once a year. It will end up like the tolls keep raising the fee because they need to allocate money in other places in the state not for what it was originally intended.

They have a new improved system were they do call fishermen and interview them...they also do intercepts at launch ramps etc...the guy was at the canal last week doing interviews...and other places

They use mathematics like marketing math or economics where extrapolations are made based ont he interviews.

My position is not that the whole thing reeks of federal gov't pick pocketing...that it is...the point is if we do not support somehting we can swallow we will see our money replace the tolls on the mass pike...seriously...bitching will get us no where...the us congress...Kennedy, Kerry, Frank, Dlehunt..etc passed this two years ago and are getitng away scott free on this one

UserRemoved1
06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
I believe Maine just rejected the law that would have setup their saltwater license. I believe they are going to rely on the feds.

BigFish
06-11-2009, 05:30 PM
They won't be able to call me...I am unlisted and they will not be getting my phone number!!! I want to fish dammit!!!! Not chit chat on the phone with some Govt. flunkie about my fishing exploits!!:rolleyes: