View Full Version : Air Craft Carrier Pics

Van
01-22-2003, 09:46 AM
A guy I work with has a friend in the service.

Somehow he got some amazing shots.

Check them out.

I still don't know how to attach more than 1 pic in a post, sorry..

Van
01-22-2003, 09:47 AM
No. 2

Van
01-22-2003, 09:48 AM

I think the caption here is:

Damn I lost my hat,,,,turn around and get it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnR
01-22-2003, 09:54 AM
That last must've been a sea trial on the Nimitz - kick a$$ shot!

I've seen the site which has some of these photos - the B1 & the 18C but I've never seen the CVN doing a bootlegger's turn at 50mph! Schweet! Bet someone spilled some coffee

Van
01-22-2003, 10:10 AM
a bootlegger's turn at 50mph

50 !!!!!

Didn't know they could do that speed !!! Holy C@$P !!!!

Striper SniperX
01-22-2003, 10:13 AM
Are you serious?!?!?!?!?!?!???????

50 MPH in one of the bad boys? how do they do it.....i know cruise ships go 25 mph but thats much heavyer then a cruise!!!

awsome pictures

another few MPH and heavy seas and that thing looks like it would.....ROLL OVER..

How much $$$ is that thing worth? couple billion? :eek5:

fishsmith
01-22-2003, 10:15 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is that the new Ski-Nautique?
50mph, you could pull a barefoot skier.

Great pictures !!

gilligan
01-22-2003, 10:45 AM
i got a bunch of pics i took while searving on the uss constellation cv-64. ill see if i can get some up.

JohnR
01-22-2003, 10:47 AM
50 MPH - that puppy has 2 big nuclear reactors in it for power to drive 4 turbines. The official tops speed according to the Navy was something over 30 knots. Rumors had it that they could do well past 45 knots which is well over 50mph :D

Nothing of any size can touch them in speed.

4 billion dollars per plus 1 billion a year to run... But nothing says hello like an aircraft carrier whose single carrier wing has more and deadlier aircraft than the complete Air Forces of 90% of countries :D - Reach out and touch someone

mrmacey
01-22-2003, 10:47 AM
of sea trials emergency surface come up from below 400 ft just like a big missle shooting out of water and you just hope theres nothing up top imagine fishing deep with big water gear and hooking one for a minute you would think you had a big one till it snapped or pulled you in!!! the land is in the background i wonder how deep it is there must be out around catalina island california

mrmacey
01-22-2003, 10:48 AM
of the living quaters of the sub that tube in middle

Striper SniperX
01-22-2003, 10:57 AM
I been to Battleship cove; seen the Saratoga when it came up the bay. and see the ones in newport all the time: are the newport boats old and out of serivice or are they in working order/still used??

I never seen one under it's own power... must be awsome to see them driving up close....

Its good to know we have 1,000' 50 mph. ships protecting us :D

JohnR
01-22-2003, 10:58 AM
Any of you ever hear of or play the Naval Simulation called Harpoon?

Very cool game as you control and manuevre entire navies, from small patrol craft up to multiple fleets...

mrmacey
01-22-2003, 10:58 AM
i was on for 3 years i was a torpedo man i know what a torpedo can do!! i went to okiniawia from san deigo 30 days under water visited korea japan phillipines hong kong thailand some of my best memories were service related proud to have served you have to try sea trials in a sub!!!go deep and see the pressure spraying in water around valves if one ever let go!! then they do ups and downs i thought we wouldnt pull out of!! scared me!!!

Striper SniperX
01-22-2003, 11:05 AM
on the quick subject of games: "Risk!" is a Revolutonary war type Computer Game that i have played for hours at a time, very fun once you know what your doing!

and we can't forget "You sunk my battleship" game, classic that i like to play online :D

MrMacey, you served? in war? looks to cramped for me, i do like old submarie movies like crimsom tde and stuff.....

mike

Van
01-22-2003, 11:22 AM
MrMacey:

Thats unbelievable. I would $%^# myself in that situation.

We rented K19 last weekend, apparetnly its a true story of the
russian sub whose reactor coolant failed and nearly went ballistic (literally) near the US coast

It had multiple nuclear warheads onboard also, so the explosion of the reactor would have started a chain reaction of nuclear weapons explosions..

I may have started a global thermo-nuclear war !!!!!!

Talk about scary !!!

JohnR
01-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Van - the sub they filmed that on is now located down by Fox Point park in Providence. You can even take a tour of it. Crude looking sub, the russians certainly built bigger pieces of crap than the Yugo...

Mr. Kav
01-22-2003, 12:12 PM
i rememeber years and years ago my dad took me on a tour of a sub called the croaker. anyone heard of that submarine. i think it was in Connecticut.

JohnR
01-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Croaker - http://www.buffalonavalpark.org/

Mr. Kav
01-22-2003, 12:25 PM
thanks john

mrmacey
01-22-2003, 12:30 PM
the nautilus down groton conn!! van,mr kav, awsome museum for kids! after tour of museum you go on the sub and walk through it with a telphone that tells you about it and another good feature its on the thames hmmmmm!! oh one more feature its FREE!!
http://www.ussnautilus.org/ was just searching this site alot of good stuff virtual tour of sub is cool!!

Fishpart
01-22-2003, 12:57 PM
I've heard a CVN can "put a 50 Knot wind over the bow any time it wants"

Most Soviet era equipment is pretty primitive when compared to even our Vietnam era equipment. Thing is it works and ther is a lot of it.

striperjerk1
01-22-2003, 12:58 PM
the uss nautilas ,is a very cool tour. my son was in the subs for 5 yrs. ived been on his also the uss miami. very cool.and the dallas is stationed there.the one in the movie. red october.also been on the uss kenedy, the uss donald cook ddg75 stealth destroyer.

Christian
01-22-2003, 01:26 PM
van- talking about k-19, my cousin was the assistant producer to that movie. just thought i'de brag.:)
ps. hes in the credits

gilligan
01-22-2003, 02:07 PM
how do i shrink the picture sizes. i got a couple of interesting pics

Striper SniperX
01-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Gilligan; go to your MS-Paint, Photo Shop, ImageSuite or Other Grapic design program on your PC.....Find the picture you want to Resize; look in the menu and select "Re Size Image" and then you will get to choose what size you want..Good Luck.

hope i was of some help

Or just E-mail them to me and i will be more then happy to resize them for ya.... StriperSniperXLT@aol.com

mike

Christian
01-22-2003, 02:35 PM
cant post anything bigger than 800X800, which is too big nayway, go for 500X500

gilligan
01-22-2003, 02:46 PM
this was my home for 2 years. had two neighbors above me and three more directly across.
thanks for the help w/ size adjustment

fishsmith
01-22-2003, 02:56 PM
That brings back memories, it's the same set up on destroyers, I had a bottom rack too, I remember putting out one foot to keep from rolling out in rough seas.
Its amazing you'd keep all your belongings in the coffin locker (thats under the bed) and the 1/2 normal size stand up locker.
13 years ago that was my life, plus a whopping $680 a month.

Van
01-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Hmmm.. could be a museum field trip with my son in my future.

Is it closed during these "cold" months??

Fish_n_Dive
01-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Nice pic of the B-1
wow what a wake, and it doesn't even touch the water!!! :smash: :smash: :smash:

Yea
But nothing says hello like an aircraft carrier whose single carrier wing has more and deadlier aircraft than the complete Air Forces of 90% of countries - Reach out and touch someone
:nailem: :liquify: :liquify::nailem:
:nailem::liquify:

JohnR
01-22-2003, 07:40 PM
I have a good video clip of a Tomcat breaking the sound barrier - I'll tor to find it and post it tomorrow...