View Full Version : GD windows updates

Saltheart
06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I am tired of "critical security updates" screwing up my machine. I'd say half the time I run their updates I have a problem afterwards. Recently did IE 8 update , that was a mistake. Finally got that starightened out and then they had 6 security updates (supossedly security) that all had to do with IE8. Now the stupid machine has problems again. I'm sure I'll starighten them out again but its only a matter of time before there are mopre. You would think a company the size of Microsoft could get these things right the first time.

Anybody else have trouble after they run the windows updates and security patches?

Raven
06-11-2009, 02:00 PM
i purposely don't run them

as i have seen to many problems after wards

you "know" the old saying: if aint broke.............:deadhorse:

i only use firefox! and google everything to death...

i have the big blue E on my desktop but i only
click on it when i have way to many firefox windows open.

JohnnyD
06-11-2009, 02:49 PM
The best way to fix the critical updates with IE8 is to download Firefox, then ignore the plagues of IE for good. Never update it, never download patches for it.

Firefox is faster, more secure and more compatible. And Firefox 3.5 that's coming out soon is even faster.

Raven
06-11-2009, 03:15 PM
....http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/show.png

kenyee
06-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Before doing windows updates, I always snapshot my windows partition using TrueImage ($30 program that has saved my butt many times when windows update made the system unbootable ;-)

Adam_777
06-13-2009, 05:20 PM
yup I hide the IE updates and wife uses IE6 and I use firefox.My PC wouldn't boot with IE8 and IE7 the browser wouldn't load.I do all updates manually also.That auto update can be a menace if you don't know when you installed it and what it was.I have XP pro as my OS.

Saltheart
06-14-2009, 11:09 AM
I took the advice and downloaded and installed Firefox. What a big improvement! In just 5 minutes I knew I should have done this a long time ago. Every single problem I had with IE went away. I'm Happy!!:)

Raven
06-14-2009, 02:10 PM
good for you man....

you made the switch :happy:

don't forget to check out the add on's

Adam_777
06-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Good news! Pretty soon after Windows 7 they will probably anounce they are retiring support for XP.Not looking forward to any new OS's.Yeah Firefox is top notch.