View Full Version : Eeling with a VS

pmbrac
06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Just bought a VS 275 that I will be using for plugging but this thing is so nice Id like to use it eeling as well. Anyone use their VS for drifting eels?? Just wondering how it would work with the manual bail.. My buddy said he fishes his drag real loose until the fish runs the tightens it up for the hookset..

Vogt
06-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Just fish with the rod tip high. When you get a hit, drop the rod let the fish take up the slack and cross her eyes. No need to fool around with the drag, thats asking for trouble IMO, you dont want to set up on a fish only to find your drag isnt set properly.

JLH
06-20-2009, 02:09 PM
If I am drifting at an outflow or something I just keep the line off the roller and let it feed out through my fingers. I’m doing this with the rod held almost verticle so when I get a take I lower the rod to just about horizontal engage the line on the roller and setup when it comes tight to the fish.

Otherwise if I am just doing a slow retrieve and get a take I just lower the rod from nearly verticle to horizontal and wait for the line to tighter and set the hook. No need to take the line off the roller in this situation.

DZ
06-21-2009, 10:13 AM
PMbrac,
No need to feed line to a fish when using eels. I use a VS when eeling - feel the take, drop rod tip and strike.

VS 275 has a high speed retrieve ratio, not the best choice when using eels - you'll have to make a concerted effort to really slow down your retrieve with the 275 when using eels. The slower the better.

DZ

angler229
06-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I did it with a 706 a bunch of times last year with out problems getting the line back on the roller when I got a hit on a drift. If they hit and start screaming I will lower my rod and raise it quick which puts enough slack in the line to put the line on the roller. I would not fool with the drag as that is just asking for problems in my mind.

pmbrac
06-21-2009, 05:38 PM
sounds great guys!! cant wait to get this reel into action.. Im not too worried about the fast retrieve.. I think I'd rather train myself to sloow down my retrieve when needed than have to speed it up.. The reason I went for the 275 was I figured the larger spool would help in casting distance, which is what I mostly looking for..

Sea Dangles
06-21-2009, 05:44 PM
I always eeled the way DZ described until last year when the eels never seemed to want to slam it.Adjust your style to suit your prey and you'll become a better angler.There is more than one way to skin a cat.I caught a tuna on a 275 yesterday with live bait. I had the line between the fingers and the beast broke the surface before I knew it had inhaled the bait. Still had no problem putting the line back on after she started a long and fast run.Sore arms today.

ripitsik
06-22-2009, 11:41 AM
pm,

try to avoid losing line on that reel. With the deep spool you'll be surprised how much distance you'll lose. I have a 275 for jiggingin the canal only and the amount of distance I lose from not having a full spool makes a huge difference. But the reel is a complete tank. You'll enjoy your purchase

Crafty Angler
06-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Like Dennis said, reel sloooowly with the rod tip at 11 o'clock high, then drop the tip low and 'bow to the cow' after you feel the bump - I reel like mad on the upstroke of the rod to take out the slack, but then I'm using mono with the rocks around here.

No problems with a bail-less 704 - but as far as drag goes, set it and forget it - the last thing you want to do is be fiddling with your drag and overtighten in the middle of a fight -

I oughta know - I lost my PB that way a long time ago...:mad: