View Full Version : Like Dylan Said....

Crafty Angler
06-22-2009, 07:37 AM
One should never be where one does not belong...:hs:

Monitored Ch 16 all night at work last night, the Coasties, Harbor Master and Oldport Marine had their hands full with this NE blow.

Boats dragging anchor, lines parting, distress calls, an SAR for a guy in a 26' ragboat just before dark who departed BI on a N/NE heading and hadn't been heard from - sailing upwind in that crap yesterday must have been a thrill...:rollem:

Friday morning I was coming back from dawn patrol on the Ocean Drive and saw a 20' GRady White turned turtle and washed up at the aptly named Graves Point - the guys aboard were inside the reef and got swamped, two local cops jumped in to pull a 67 year old ashore from the surf on the rocks...

Haven't heard the CG Falcon or chopper heading out yet this AM - dudes, be careful out there - I would guess it's gotta be good and snotty this morning after last night's blow...:smokin:

JohnR
06-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Heard that on the radio - yep, gonna be a fun couple days...

Pete_G
06-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Must get rough out there eventually as you get farther away from land (I haven't been out to find out) but on the beaches in Newport it's mill pond flat due to the wind direction. Very deceptive.

Saltheart
06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I was howling yesterday. Yep sailing from BI to Newport must have been thrilling. I hope they made it. When beating like that the gusts really grab the main sail right at the mast and create a huge weather helm. Its tough to hang on and not get too into the wind where you suddenly heal over like some fatty stepped on the edge of the boat.

BillM
06-23-2009, 08:48 AM
"...they stone you and then they say GOOD LUCK" - Dylan