View Full Version : Quick question

Thumper
06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
i have 50# yellow suffix braid and its turning to white and getting limp. my question is, is this stuff just breaking in or is it time to put on some new stuff? the braid is only about a season old and last year i fliped it half way and then fliped it back the beginning of this season.

Thanks guys and gals!! :cheers:

maddmatt
06-22-2009, 07:34 PM
i have 50# yellow suffix braid and its turning to white and getting limp. my question is, is this stuff just breaking in or is it time to put on some new stuff? the braid is only about a season old and last year i fliped it half way and then fliped it back the beginning of this season.

Thanks guys and gals!! :cheers:

i brief, its hard to tell exactly when braid is "gone". the best thing to do is rig up an xtra spool and if it pops when it shouldn't have switch it out.

"When in doubt, throw it out". don't want to lose that fish of a lifetime, or worse yet, lifetimes

bassballer
06-22-2009, 08:23 PM
if its a complete entire season old, switch it.

JohnnyD
06-22-2009, 10:12 PM
if its a complete entire season old, switch it.

Don't know about suffix, but I know people that get 4-5 years on a single spooling of PowerPro. No flipping the line or any of that crap.

fishbones
06-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Don't know about suffix, but I know people that get 4-5 years on a single spooling of PowerPro. No flipping the line or any of that crap.

I've heard the same thing, but the longest I've gone is 1 1/2 years on a backup reel. I hate wondering if it's going to hold up if I get into decent fish. Better safe than sorry.

bassballer
06-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Ive heard that too. Just my opinion after and whole season on one spool then sitting the entire offseason why not start the next season off on a fresh spool of suffix. Cant hurt.

leptar
06-23-2009, 11:31 AM
2 yrs now with sufix 50 and it's fine...

I might flip it at the end of this season...

I know plenty of people that lost lifetime fish on fresh line... (pun)

If you use your head and make sure the line is good then all is good... if you notice that one of your guides is cracked or chipped then hell ya replace it.. if your line roller is sticking then yes replace it... other then that... why?

HESH2
06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
2nd year on tuf line braid and its seen its fair share of fish.

JohnnyD
06-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Ive heard that too. Just my opinion after and whole season on one spool then sitting the entire offseason why not start the next season off on a fresh spool of suffix. Cant hurt.

Because I like the the suppleness of braid that has had a couple months to break in.

For me, fresh PP doesn't come off the spool as nicely, knots slip slightly more and doesn't lay as tight on the spool when working plugs.

t.orlando
06-23-2009, 01:14 PM
The only time I change my braid is when I need more line to fill the spool to edge. I like it the most a year or 2 old.

MAKAI
06-23-2009, 06:37 PM
all my spinning has PP 5 to 6 yrs no issues. smooth as silk. I did try some saltiga on a new 275 and I think it is way beyond anything else right out of the box.

piemma
06-24-2009, 02:33 AM
I fish Cortland Spectra 50# and I have some that has been on convenc reels for 3 or 4 years without any problems.

keeperreaper
06-24-2009, 04:15 AM
I have some reels that have 6/7 year old braid. No issues.

Joe
06-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Turning white and going limp huh? I'd ask Uncle Crafty what to do.