View Full Version : bombers

american spirit
06-24-2009, 09:14 AM
i just got some asalt bombers and magnum bombers that appear to come out of the box with vmc's. are people fishing these or changing out trebles. are they 1x strong? the last time i bought they came with the cheapo trebles.

Joe
06-24-2009, 09:45 AM
They're 2X strong VMCs - pretty good hooks. Considering that Bombers are not through-wired, you should not be putting too much drag on when fishing them anyway, so as long as you apply the correct pressure, they're fine.

Clogston29
06-24-2009, 10:13 AM
i'd still change them. 4x is better than 2x, and i end up with mangled 1/0 4x on bombers all the time. don't really trust they're split rings either, although they may have upgraded them. it sucks that they improved the hooks and raised the price, but didn't improve them enough to make them worth anymore. keep your eyes out for the old cheap ones and buy them up. i got a bunch at cabelas on sale recently.

bloocrab
06-25-2009, 10:31 PM
..funny thing is they "clearanced" out the older ones to make room for the newly packaged stuff. I filled up on the "clearance" stuff myself....:cheers:

Joe
06-26-2009, 05:38 AM
I think there was a problem getting the old hooks - they went to VMC more out of availibilty. I used to be on pro staff for Pradco - the company is headquarted in Arkansas and the management culture is very much tilted to freshwater - it was a big deal for them to offer black/purple as a regular pattern. They have great action. I'm surprised that with all the people that entered into plug making every one went into wood - no one has made a thru-wired Bomber clone.

bloocrab
06-26-2009, 06:11 AM
I think Habs Sr. was beginning to venture into plastics....that would have been interesting.

God rest his soul -

As far as current builders going into plastic...I think the wood builders take a lot of pride in their work. Each individual piece is a "one of a kind" of sorts....Going into the plastic realm places most of the labor on machinery,,, that would make it ALL about money, versus personal craftsmanship.

Although I can see someone who would like to make plug-building their main source of income venturing into that market, perhaps someone like #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& who from what I've read has quite a bit of money invested in machinery, or maybe even someone like yourself Joe, you entrepreneur you :heybaby:... ......but what do I know...:spin:

Clogston29
06-26-2009, 06:19 AM
northbar is coming out with a plastic version of the bottle darter. looks really good.

i think it would be tough to compete with bomber from a cost standpoint. i've never heard of a bomber failing either. with the a-salt (which is my favorite), your looking at 1/0 hooks. i just can't see the lure (unless really old and beat up), failing before a 1/0. the magnum long a may benefit from thru wire, but i usually just go to a redfin when i move up from the a-salt.

there's definately a market, although a small one, for "custom" plastic. i've always thought that the old rebel windcheaters should be knocked off by someone. what a great lure. i'd pay a premium for those since you can't just buy the original. if nothing else, if you could produce something good, maybe one of the big buys would buy it from you, although they'd probably just steal it.

Circlehook
06-26-2009, 07:28 AM
The Gary2 Tigers were a wooden takeoff of a bomber, I think. They are very similar in appearance, I would think the action is comparable.

Super strike should make a slim swimmer. They have the plastic thing down pat.

Joe
06-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I think a 1.5oz through wired bomber clone with custom paint, 4X trebles, would really do well. I tried putting Wolverine split rings on one, the hook hangers are not big enough.
I don't know anything about manufacturing - so it won't be me. Plus, you know if it worked and sold well, several other competitors would enter the marketplace very quickly. Then you've got the taxes and the dead beat tackle shops - no thanks.
Yes, Super Strike would be the best company to make through-wired plastic crankbait at a reasonable price.

MVbluefish
06-26-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.guideschoicetackle.com/oldschoolswimmer_03.jpg
http://www.guideschoicetackle.com/bunkaboy_01.jpg

luds
06-26-2009, 09:53 PM
http://www.guideschoicetackle.com/oldschoolswimmer_03.jpg
http://www.guideschoicetackle.com/bunkaboy_01.jpg

I've been contemplating getting one of those big o clones but it's just not a bomber. The other bait may do better to simulate a bomber swim, not sure. I would have bought a handful of those at RISSA if they were not selling them so hard. Let the plugs prove themselves. Some guy got a 40 on them and now they're shoving that down everyones throats. Give me a break.