View Full Version : advice on first try at replacing guides???

mag minnow
06-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi,
I'm looking to replace the guides on a St. Croix Ben Doerr SS100M2 that I have. I bought it back in 2002 and like it enough that I want to keep it alive a little longer. (Last w-end I managed to break all the guides). I've been reading some of the posts here and checking out some of the online supplier websites for information. I'd like to replace the guides myself for a couple reasons. Mainly I want to get this back and operational as soon as a I can and the original guides never impressed me.

1) Is there a one stop location where I can order what I need for material on line and...

2) If I were to tell them the rod model, would they be able to tell me the corret guide sizing I need to use? I think the guides are sized correctly. Also, if anyone can suggest a replacement guide that would be a good match for the rod matched with braid I'd appreciate it.

Thanks...
mm

Saltheart
06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't know the rod but if it a spinner , Fuji BSVLG and if its a conventional , fuji BNLG will work fine and are not too costly.

You might want to take it with you and drive east.

I seldom fefer people to other boards but in this case it will help you. Go to the rodbuilding board at Stripersonline.com and post a title like fisherman in lunenburg needs help with rod. I believe there is a builder very near you named Rapt tite who may be of some help to you.

mag minnow
06-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the prompt reply. It's a Spin rod and it works well for what I use for plugs. 1-3oz rating... I had my Canal bike fall with it in the rod holder last Saturday. M&D set me up with a quick replacement rod to get me through the w-end but they can't get to fixing rods it until Fall. I understand this completely so I've gotta do what I can!

mm

Saltheart
06-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Its more than twice as hard to repair a rod than it is to build it from scratch. It also makes a mess usuallly. Also if you plan on moving the guides instead of putting them back on in exactly the same place , the refinishing the old spots is hard and probably well beyond a beginners ability to do it right. I suggest you just replace them exactly where they were.

When I say drive it east I mean so the tackle shop can see it so you get the right parts so you can repair it yourself.